QE2 - Maiden Calls

bobby1119

I've had a look in the brochure and it doesn't show any (If you check it does for the Mary). I suspect that means that there aren't any, but knowing how reliable a Cunard brochure can be I would check elsewhere.

Thanks, Malcolm. I thought that Danang, Vietnam, might be a maiden call, as I do not recollect that port on recent world cruise itineraries. I enjoy your posts and comments very much.

I thought that Danang, Vietnam, might be a maiden call, as I do not recollect that port on recent world cruise itineraries.

It could be, although I'm not up-to-date with the itineraries of recent WC's! I know that she's been to Vietnam before so I suspect that she'll have been somewhere near Da Nang. If you look it isn't actually Da Nang that she goes to - it's somewhere called Chan May. It could well be that Chan May is the port for Da Nang (like Piraeus is for Athens) or it could be that there's no relationship (At Christmas we visit the port of Granada, that well known cruise stop high in the Sierra Nevada! In actual fact we dock at Malaga, Granada is then about two hours by coach). It wouldn't surprise me to find that, if Da Nang is a new destination, she's called at Chan May before to visit somewhere else.

I enjoy your posts and comments very much.

Thanks - I appreciate the compliment:)

I thought that Danang, Vietnam, might be a maiden call, as I do not recollect that port on recent world cruise itineraries.

I don't know why but this question's caught my imagination - I want to know if she's been there before.

I know that she's not been in the past ten years (from www.qe2.org.uk - Sam Warwick's site) but I can't find any itineraries before that. Does anyone have any ideas where to look and see where she was pre 1996?

QE-2 made her maiden port call at Da Nang during World Cruise 1995.

This was also QE-2's maiden arrival in ANY port in Viet Nam. It was for this reason that I took the 21 day Hong Kong to Mombassa segement.

I ended up tooking the motorcoach tour up to Huue and return. It was the highlight of that particular WC segment to me.

Many cruisers opted to remain aboard the ship during that port call, and in my opinion, it was their loss. The entire shore excursion was absolutely LOVELY !

QE-2 made her maiden port call at Da Nang during World Cruise 1995.

This was also QE-2's maiden arrival in ANY port in Viet Nam. It was for this reason that I took the 21 day Hong Kong to Mombassa segement.

I ended up tooking the motorcoach tour up to Huue and return. It was the highlight of that particular WC segment to me.

Many cruisers opted to remain aboard the ship during that port call, and in my opinion, it was their loss. The entire shore excursion was absolutely LOVELY !

Thanks for the information. I am planning on taking the excursion to Hue as well and was delighted to hear your enthusiastic endorsement. Any other port recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Bobby

Archived