Some pics from September 5

zydecocruiser

Thanks Zydecocruiser! They're great pictures. Since your visit was so recent, I wonder if you would mind telling us how the area is looking since the damage from the hurricane. How does Georgetown look? What about the restaurants along the shore in town. I remember there were several nice ones on your way to Seven Mile Beach. We're going in December, and I wondered what to expect. We used to go to The Treehouse Restaurant which was right on the water and had a gazebo right out over the water where you could have a wonderful view of the ships. I read that it was destroyed and wondered if they have rebuilt. Thanks again for your help and for sharing your pics.

Thank you. I was on one of the first cruise ships allowed to stop at Grand Cayman in early November after Ivan and have been back several times since.

The improvements made since that time have been enormous including the third tender pier being completed.

My understanding is Treehouse will not reopen, but that may have changed. Cracked Conch should be open or opening soon after a year of renovation under new management.

This is the restaurant list I usually go by:

http://www.caymanrestaurants.com/

But really like the one posted in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=414029

You can search for specific dishes on the latter.

Some pics from my previous trip in Dec 05:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/gc_dec_2005.htm

Thanks Zydecocruiser! They're great pictures. Since your visit was so recent, I wonder if you would mind telling us how the area is looking since the damage from the hurricane. How does Georgetown look? What about the restaurants along the shore in town. I remember there were several nice ones on your way to Seven Mile Beach. We're going in December, and I wondered what to expect. We used to go to The Treehouse Restaurant which was right on the water and had a gazebo right out over the water where you could have a wonderful view of the ships. I read that it was destroyed and wondered if they have rebuilt. Thanks again for your help and for sharing your pics.

Those pics that Zydecocruiser posted were great!

We were there for a week last January, and really, things are fine in George Town. You can still see some damage, but not much. If you go over to the East End, there is still quite a few homes damaged (at least there were when we were there). They worked really hard to get the place back in shape for tourists.

We ate at Rackham's Pub a couple of times. It has a nice view of the ships. We really wanted to try the Treehouse, but it's gone...which is too bad.

That's a neat picture. Are those three white strips ships? It looks like they are down near Bodden Town. Am I looking at this correctly?

They are cruise ships, in Spotts Bay which is the alternate anchorage and not as desireable as just off Georgetown. Just luck the satellite took the picture on that day.

Zooming in on one of them:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/post_cruise/cs.jpg

They are cruise ships, in Spotts Bay which is the alternate anchorage and not as desireable as just off Georgetown. Just luck the satellite took the picture on that day.

Zooming in on one of them:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/valor_06/post_cruise/cs.jpg

Ahhh...I see. For some reason I thought the ships anchored in another location (more on the inside), but that makes sense. That is really neat...thanks for posting. We were all over the island...and it's really neat to look at this. It's different than looking at a map.

Ahhh...I see. For some reason I thought the ships anchored in another location (more on the inside), but that makes sense. That is really neat...thanks for posting. We were all over the island...and it's really neat to look at this. It's different than looking at a map.

Could be. I've never had the pleasure of tendering in at Spott's, but it's the only reason I can think of for 3 cruise ships in the same area and at least two are tendering.

Could be. I've never had the pleasure of tendering in at Spott's, but it's the only reason I can think of for 3 cruise ships in the same area and at least two are tendering.

I had the places mixed up. We didn't actually see the ship that day, and it makes more sense that it's where it is (in the picture you posted), than where I thought they were.

Those are neat pictures...and I enjoyed all your photos...especially all the underwater ones with fish.

zydecocruiser thanks for the pics! I really enjoyed them.

I'll be in Georgetown in January, and I had so much fun reading about your adventures! I can't wait to see some of those spots in person.

Do you remember teaching me how to post pics in April 05? I was the annoying girl that never figured it out, and you had to do it for me, lol! Guess what I can do it, now.

Great pics, Zyd- I'm particularly interested in the snorkeling. Was it right offshore, not involving a boat ride? Is snorkeling equipment available for rent? We're thinking of renting a car and would like to find a good "drive-up" snorkel site. Thanks!

Great pics, Zyd- I'm particularly interested in the snorkeling. Was it right offshore, not involving a boat ride? Is snorkeling equipment available for rent? We're thinking of renting a car and would like to find a good "drive-up" snorkel site. Thanks!

In this thread they are all from shore and you can rent equipment.

Here is a good shore snorkeling guide.

http://www.caymanislandsdiscounts.com/OffshoreSnorkeling.htm

The Divetech location is listed as West Bay, Turtle Farm in the guide.

Zydeco, is Big Black Dick's store in the same direction as the Tortuga Rum Cake store that is past Hard Rock? I will only have a short time to shop before our Jeep 4x4 tour to Rum Point.

Thanks

Nanatravel

That Big Black Dick is directly below Margaritaville, which is directly opposite the tender dock. Not sure exactly where the store is relative to, but should be near.

IMG_8791.JPG

IMG_8962.JPG

Archived