Ferry Question

cruzingduo

I have a few questions about the ferry trip. We are doing the partial transit and were planning on doing the ferry. How do you get to the ferry? Does the ship dock or are you tendered off? Does the ferry go thru the other locks Pedro Miguel and Miraflores? How far does the ferry go? Do you go all the way to the Pacific?

thanks!

Cruisingduo

We are also doing a partial transit (on Royal Caribbean) and are interested in the "Panama Canal Locks by Ferry" excursion. The description states:

"your experience begins with a 1-hour narrated drive to Balboa, located on the Pacific coast, where your ferry awaits. Departing Balboa by the ferry, you travel through the Miraflores Locks.......Your ferry continues along the Miraflores Lake before entering the Pedro Miguel Locks......Your experience concludes at the pier in Gamboa where you will board a bus for the 1 hour ride back to the ship." Since I have never been on this tour I can't answer all your questions, but hope this description helps. I also have a question.

Does anyone know why this excursion isn't showing as a choice on the Feb. 12 Brillance of the Seas Cruise? Could it possibly be sold out?

Thanks!

I did this March 1st of this year while on the Brilliance of the Seas.

You are tendered off the ship while in Gatun Lake, then you are taken by bus to Gamboa to pick up the ferry. You cruise the rest of the length of the canal all the way out to the Pacific. Then you get off the ferry on the outskirts of Panama City and drive back to the ship which is now docked either at Colon or Cristobal Pier.

As to why it isn't available yet for the Brilliance Feb12th sailing, RCCL is still renegotiating contracts for the next Caribbean season which starts Oct. 1st. Not all shore excursions are showing up yet for all ports. Also even if it sells out in advance, they usually hold some spots on each excursion for booking while on the ship. My advice to you is keep watching and it should show up, but once it does show up, don't wait to book it.

wrp96,

thanks for the info. Since its a log day, do you stop for lunch somewhere?

When you are on the drive (both going and returning) are the roads bad? Is the bus a bumpy drive? I have a very bad back and sometimes can't do the bus rides. Is it a big air conditioned bus?

Any other info you can share would be appreciated.

PlanningNextCruise, our trip is in Jan and the excursions are not posted yet. I also had heard that the contracts were still being negotiated.

next up:

FOS 10-15-06

BOS 1-22-07

I have also taken that partial transit but on the Coral Princess. While you are on the ferry they do give you a box lunch. Nothing fancy but it is edible. Also the bus ride back is air condtioned and as I remember the roads were not that bumpy. Of course this was back in 2004 so maybe the roads are now different. We thoroughly enjoyed the ferry ride. Just be prepared that while on the ferry if you are outside it can get hot and humid. There is a smaller area that is sort of air conditoned; I say that because the ferries can seat 200 . We elected to be on the back of the ferry(aft) which was not air conditonaled and we got a fantastic views of all areas of the canal. Enjoy your cruise.

Marilyn

I would agree with what mii said. The bus ride was actually fairly comfortable, the bus was pretty new and air conditioned, and the roads weren't bad - or at the very least no worse than the roads around here. The ferry itself can be very hot and humid since it is open air so make sure to bring sunscreen and stay in the shade. I was at the very back of the ferry as well, which due to the direction of the sun meant we were in the shade the entire way which helped. They do provide iced down water and sodas and are constantly reminding you to drink them. Lunch was provided to us since the transit of the canal takes about 6 hours (varies depending on how long it takes to get through the locks - sometimes its longer than 6 hours) and consisted of a turkey sandwich and a muffin, plus they had chips to sell. Do not attempt to take any non pre-packaged food off the ship as it isn't allowed (I carried granola bars with me which were fine).

mii and wrp96,

Thank you for sharing your experiences on this tour. The trip really sounds awesome. We are really excited that there may still be a chance that we will be able to sign up for it. We were very disappointed when we thought that we had waited too long to book it.

Cruisingduo,

Looks like you will sailing shortly before us. I hope you will post your impressions when you return.

In Costa Rica we have booked the Caribbean Train, Boat & Bus Adventure. It seemed like the excursion that offered the greatest variety of experiences. BUT, I'm really nervous because they say they give you a life vest to wear....... The other boat excursion talks about a nice open air covered boat and makes no mention of life vests. I'm afraid that this boat is different, maybe even a canoe. Although I am really interested in seeing the wildlife.....I don't really want to see any alligators from a canoe or much less have to be worried about the boat tipping over.:eek:

Enjoy your trip!

And thank you to all.

wrp96, thank you again for the info. We are looking forward to this excursion and intend to book it when it becomes available.

I know this is the wrong board, but did you do an excursion in Costa Rica?

In Costa Rica, I did the Mount Arenal and Tabcon Hot Springs excursion through RCCL.

If you are interested, I posted live from the Brilliance while I was on her. My review is at the end of the thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=299889

Cruising duo I did the Tortuguero Canal excursion in Costa Rica and I highly recommend that tour. My DH and i thoroughly enjoy going through the canals in a covered boat, seeing animals which were monkeys, alligators, upteen kinds of birds and sloths. Very enjoyable day. Now this was on Princess and I think the name of the excursion was Eco-Tortuguero Canal excursion or something like that. Very good excursion in my opinion.

Marilyn

Does anyone know why this excursion isn't showing as a choice on the Feb. 12 Brillance of the Seas Cruise? Could it possibly be sold out?

Thanks!

This tour has just recently shown up on the RCCL site, I just booked this excursion last night, for my Feb 23/07 BOS cruise!!!!

Archived