Live from Owners Suite-POH

Leopoldz

First of all...BEAUTIFUL boat, TONS of BEAUTIFUL crew people...the Islands speak for themselves, having a fabulous time, BUT

admittedly we were extremely fortunate to be offered an upgrade/upsell from our BA to an Owner's Suite....SWEET it is, huge rooms, beautiful views, LOVE the espresso machine...push a button and ouila espresso from 1-8 ounces automatic.

Here we go, BUT, have been less than impressed by the butler/concierge/cabin steward service...here are the highlights, we are first time cruisers and certainly first time anytime suite occupants, so weren't totally sure what to expect from cabin steward and butler/concierge:

1. Had to ask for soap/robes and ice (the ice part EVERY NIGHT)

2. Specified desire for splenda/diet coke...had to ask for replacements

3. ONE towel animal...first night, that was it.

4. Presented with envelope by Butler on night one for gratuity (to be picked up on final night) and we feel we have been chasing him down ever since for services.

5. Dirty cups/wine glasses...only replaced after asking

6. Butler brought room service breakfast...for one (by the way, entering two for number of guests, doesn't mean two servings), without salt/pepper, guess we should have requested that specifically

Just a few of the annoyances :) Believe it or not having a great time!

Main point of post...aren't you glad we finally arrived at it, spoke with the Asst. Hotel Director and have opted out of the auto service charge...just not feeling like we received good cabin service (barely marginal)...although the steward is nice as she can be...in no way is any of this personal. Now the question is tipping our steward (we have tipped individually in all of the restaurants for the excellent services). Any suggestions for her tip??

Also, the butler...I know the question has been asked but at this point...after once again returning to our cabin with no ice...think that makes 5 or 6 evenings in a row that we have had to ASK for it...how do you tip that level of service? We didn't ask for much upon our arrival and thought that ice/sodas/etc were a given...appreciate any assistance from any experienced cruisers...or folks with opinions :)

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions...by the way the SUSHI bar is to DIE FOR...given the chance we would have eaten there almost every night (by the way, thanks to my DH, not the concierge who never called back, we got squeezed in for a second night)...Yvonne at the Sake Bar is a hoot...ask her if they serve corn dogs!

I am so sorry your experience with a butler is so poor. We are getting our first one 10/21/2006 and although I feel we are low maintenance I want something extra for all the extra money we have spent . Have you complained? Did it get any better?

That's too bad about your service. Sounds like we had great service in our Penthouse compare to what you're receiving. We only had one negative and that was asking for someone to clean up the broken glasss after rough seas at night caused all the stemware to crash out of the China cabinet and break all over the counter and floor.

Ice, food, towels, robes, everything else was wonderful. I would certainly reflect your poor service in the tip!

First of all...BEAUTIFUL boat, TONS of BEAUTIFUL crew people...the Islands speak for themselves, having a fabulous time, BUT

admittedly we were extremely fortunate to be offered an upgrade/upsell from our BA to an Owner's Suite....SWEET it is, huge rooms, beautiful views, LOVE the espresso machine...push a button and ouila espresso from 1-8 ounces automatic.

Here we go, BUT, have been less than impressed by the butler/concierge/cabin steward service...here are the highlights, we are first time cruisers and certainly first time anytime suite occupants, so weren't totally sure what to expect from cabin steward and butler/concierge:

1. Had to ask for soap/robes and ice (the ice part EVERY NIGHT)

2. Specified desire for splenda/diet coke...had to ask for replacements

3. ONE towel animal...first night, that was it.

4. Presented with envelope by Butler on night one for gratuity (to be picked up on final night) and we feel we have been chasing him down ever since for services.

5. Dirty cups/wine glasses...only replaced after asking

6. Butler brought room service breakfast...for one (by the way, entering two for number of guests, doesn't mean two servings), without salt/pepper, guess we should have requested that specifically

Just a few of the annoyances :) Believe it or not having a great time!

Main point of post...aren't you glad we finally arrived at it, spoke with the Asst. Hotel Director and have opted out of the auto service charge...just not feeling like we received good cabin service (barely marginal)...although the steward is nice as she can be...in no way is any of this personal. Now the question is tipping our steward (we have tipped individually in all of the restaurants for the excellent services). Any suggestions for her tip??

Also, the butler...I know the question has been asked but at this point...after once again returning to our cabin with no ice...think that makes 5 or 6 evenings in a row that we have had to ASK for it...how do you tip that level of service? We didn't ask for much upon our arrival and thought that ice/sodas/etc were a given...appreciate any assistance from any experienced cruisers...or folks with opinions :)

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions...by the way the SUSHI bar is to DIE FOR...given the chance we would have eaten there almost every night (by the way, thanks to my DH, not the concierge who never called back, we got squeezed in for a second night)...Yvonne at the Sake Bar is a hoot...ask her if they serve corn dogs!

WOW...I'm sorry you had poor service. I hope turns out well. Please let me know what happens. I will be traveling in November.

Best,

J

My brother in law was on PoH a few weeks ago in an OS and the service was abominable, even though they knew he was coming back a month later in a garden villa.

The butler kept telling him that he was the best butler on the ship as he continued to ignore them! The conciergenever even introduced himself until day five.

When the envelope was brazenly presented, $50 was pointed placed inside, right in front of the butler and handed back.

Tips are not mandatory and should be commensurate with service. If the service stinks, so should the tip.

But glad you areenjoying the trip.

Let's see, you receive 3 litres of liquor of your choice, good middle of the road or higher brands.

No espresso flavorings that I recall, but the maker was really really cool.

I have no further comment on the butler Sebastian, other than to say that aside from bringing items to nibble on at the end of each afternoon, he provided no above and beyond services.

I personally took it badly to receive an envelope from him Day 2 for gratuities ("So we wouldn't get confused at the end of the week."). Joke was on him and our room cleaning woman when we elected to cancel the $10 a day charges and make our own tippings at each restaurant etc.

I thought the cruise was fantastic, no complaints other than these two service issues. Food is good to great. Several people like the bartender-ette outside Jasmine Garden are fantastic service people.

When we did talk to the assistant head of services, he agreed we weren't being unreasonable, and he'd look into it. But that was pretty late in the week, so no real fix occurred.

Archived