More QE2 Trivia

bobby1119

Travel-to-Go Karie's trivia question and Therapst's question about the mysterious Samuel Cunard Key Club in their respective threads prompt me to ask this brain teaser...

Who knows about the QE2 "No Character Club"? The founder and chairman of the club, a long-time and colorful Cunard employee, is now retired. I was inducted into the club in 1996 during a cruise to the Baltic. The club has even been written about by a very well-known author.

Have fun!

Travel-to-Go Karie's trivia question and Therapst's question about the mysterious Samuel Cunard Key Club in their respective threads prompt me to ask this brain teaser...

Who knows about the QE2 "No Character Club"? The founder and chairman of the club, a long-time and colorful Cunard employee, is now retired. I was inducted into the club in 1996 during a cruise to the Baltic. The club has even been written about by a very well-known author.

Have fun!

C'mon, Bobby! You? No Character? There is no one on this list who could claim to have no character! This is the biggest bunch of characters I have ever met....or not met, as the case may be.

Hmm, Tomas is not retired, so it can't be him.

Would that be Commodore Warwick?

(Congrats, Bobby. Sounds like a club to be a member of!)

Hmmm, Author. Probably not John MacDonald. Nor Ian Fleming. Hmmmm

Karie,

who is surely stumped. Any results on the Cunard Key question? (I haven't read all of the threads yet! Busy posting day today, I see!)

C'mon, Bobby! You? No Character? There is no one on this list who could claim to have no character! This is the biggest bunch of characters I have ever met....or not met, as the case may be.

Hmm, Tomas is not retired, so it can't be him.

Would that be Commodore Warwick?

(Congrats, Bobby. Sounds like a club to be a member of!)

Hmmm, Author. Probably not John MacDonald. Nor Ian Fleming. Hmmmm

Karie,

who is surely stumped. Any results on the Cunard Key question? (I haven't read all of the threads yet! Busy posting day today, I see!)

LOL, Karie... We are indeed a bunch of characters. The club was founded by Dennis Dawson, a long-time Cunard employee who was chief deck steward on Sun Deck (right behind the funnel). You get to become a member when Dennis befriends you. According to him, anyone who knows him has to have no character. He has certificates which accompanies the rare honor. The author John Maxtone Graham is a member and he mentions it in a photo caption in his book LINERS TO THE SUN. I have a certificate and still keep in touch with him. He lives near Southampton.

Now, Karie, we all know how much you love the Commodore Club on Queen Mary 2... All of us QE2 diehards have to get you to the QE2's Yacht Club. I am sure I will spend quite a few evenings there during my upcoming 108 nights aboard!

Be well & hope to see you aboard someday in either of the two ships.

Bobby

LOL, Karie... We are indeed a bunch of characters. The club was founded by Dennis Dawson, a long-time Cunard employee who was chief deck steward on Sun Deck (right behind the funnel). You get to become a member when Dennis befriends you. According to him, anyone who knows him has to have no character. He has certificates which accompanies the rare honor. The author John Maxtone Graham is a member and he mentions it in a photo caption in his book LINERS TO THE SUN. I have a certificate and still keep in touch with him. He lives near Southampton.

Now, Karie, we all know how much you love the Commodore Club on Queen Mary 2... All of us QE2 diehards have to get you to the QE2's Yacht Club. I am sure I will spend quite a few evenings there during my upcoming 108 nights aboard!

Be well & hope to see you aboard someday in either of the two ships.

Bobby

Bobby!

How marvelous! And I am sure that you are a most deserving certificate holder!

And I do hope to one day grace (?!) the yacht club with my presence, and tip a cold one (of your choice) to all of my friends in the winter crossing club, the world cruisers, and more!

I'm telling you, I'll get there one day!

Karie,

WHo needs to start that planning!

P.S. Thank you for sharing that marvelous story. It bring is alive even more for those of us unfortunates who have not yet made the jump!

And I have two of MaxtoneGrahams books. Not that one yet

And I do hope to one day grace (?!) the yacht club with my presence, and tip a cold one (of your choice) to all of my friends in the winter crossing club, the world cruisers, and more!

I'm telling you, I'll get there one day!

The Queen and all of us will be waiting for you!

Archived