Recommendations for a good hike

tyffaknee

Hi. I've actually been to Dominica before (I've done the Emerald Pool tour with Carnival). Just wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a good hike. My sister and I are relatively active and in our early 20s, and looking to be active! Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

Check the official website for a great hike!

http://www.dominica.dm/hiking.htm

My choice by what you asked?

Middleham Falls

Difficulty: moderate

Starting Point: 5 miles northeast of Roseau, in Laudat The trek to Middleham Falls leads into the heart of the rainforest. The falls are striking--a narrow stream drops about 200 ft from a keyhole notch in the lip of the cliff. Take time to strip down and brace yourself for a chilly dip! A shallow cave to the left of the falls makes a great place to sit and watch the action before diving into the water. Though there are two trails to Middleham Falls, the more popular trail begins off the Roseau-Laudat road. From the Welcome Center, the trailhead is less than two miles from the falls. You start at 1,600 ft and climb to a ridge at 2,200 ft and then descend back down to the falls themself. Round trip normally takes 3 hours, relatively long and hilly, the trail is not especially difficult. This hike can be done on your own, but the trail is not as well maintained as it once was. Consider a guide will ensure that you don't get hurt or lost.

middleham.jpg

Dominca's highest at 196 feet - Middleham Falls

BTW - Secret Beach doesn't have a trail.

Thanks for your responses!

pholter- no, I don't think we're skilled enough to rock climb... though I do want to learn sometime (just not on real rocks! haha!)

twomikea - thanks for the suggestion! I saw that hike on the Carnival website. Do you know if I could plan this outside of the cruise company (I'm hoping to save money!), and I don't think we want to try it on our own.

Thanks again!

Archived