Suggestions - Port Excersions for Elderly in Mexican Riviera

ssolomon56

Hi There - My DH and I will be traveling with his mother (age 84) and her sister (age 85) to the Mexican Riviera next month. They want to see some of the cities we will be visiting (Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, and Cabo San Lucas). Obviously neither of them can walk long distances - especially my mother in law who uses a cane and sometimes a walker. We were thinking about a bus tour - but most of them recommend wearing walking shoes. This gives me the idea that alot of walking would be included. :eek:

Any ideas?

Hi, I have taken some of these tours. Yes, there is some walking In some cases it is three or four blocks but the pace is slow in most cases as there are more seniors and people like me (disabled) that go on this type of tour. In most cases you need to walk across the road to the church or the shopping area. They recommend walking shoes because like any place in your city the streets are not swept every day. There is sometimes broken glass on the road or the church floor was just washed (you go very early in the day to a church when people are not using it). Aslo if you go to see the cliff divers depending on the tour there is 80 steps to go up (for the best view) or there is an area where they could stand and watch but there is no seats unless they sit on the grass/rocks.

If they do the cliff divers ensure they wear sun hats, it can be very hot. One gentleman in our group almost suffered heat storke because he did not bring a hat. Take sun screen an use it.

One of the tours takes you to where Johnny WisemiIlural (Tarzan of 40-50 fame) lived his last days. This tour show you a wealthy home but there is 80 steps down and back up. But the view you see sithout going down is very nice. You can see your ship framed in stone. This is a good tour for your parents, not much walking. John Wayne was here also. They drive you to a point where they show you the cliffs that the diver's dive from. We were lucky as the diver's were late that day and we watched from there. We got off the bus and walk over to the roadside and watched the first one jump. He was hard to see but we seen the splash down. They also show you the arch from here. It was a nice tour with a lot of local history. The bar where they stopped for your drink is where alot of the old time hollywood stars use to go.

Archived