Sistene Chapel in Rome and Duomo in Florence

How do I get tickets for Sistene Chapel - not including a tour prior to our arrival?? I've seen tickets but they all include a 2 hour tour.

How about Florence's Duomo. Can I get tickets for these online as well prior to my arrival??

Any help - much appreciated.

: )

Well, you could get the Vatican museum guide tickets, which gets you in at whatever time and then ditch your tour and go straight to the Sistene Chapel. We thought the museums were also interesting though and deserved a little time as well. Having done a tour once though, next year we'll just do the self-guided audio tour of the museum and go at our own pace and spend whatever time we feel like in the Sistine. For the Florence Duomo, I don't remember seeing reservations, but check out sites like goporta and searches and see what you can find. These was no fee to go in the Florence Duomo chapel, just to climb the tower or the dome.

As far as I remember, you must purchase your ticket to the Vatican Museums on the date you wish to be there. The ticket includes your visit to the Sistine Chapel. I think it is around 10 - 12 Euros.

As for the Duomo in Florence, you will not need a ticket . It is free. Be sure your arms and legs are covered. You can pay to climb the stairs to the top. There are at least 400 stairs, maybe more. If you want to see the Duomo Museum, it is outstanding and well worth your time. I think the cost is minimal and I have not heard anyone say they were able to buy tickets ahead of time for this.

Hope this helps.:)

Does anyone know how long i have to wait in line for tickets for the Duomo tower?? the section I have to pay extra for??

Good idea about the tickets and ditching the tour for Sistene Chapel - does this mean I could do an audio tour if I ditch the guided tour??

I assume the wait for climbing the dome in the Duomo depends on time of year as well as the time of day. We were in Florence in mid-June at mid-morning, and we waited about 20 minutes to get our tickets. You can also climb the bell tower located right next to Il Duomo.

We were there in August. The Duomo had no lines at 10am, but by afternoon the line looked to be at least an hour wait. Climbing the dome is slow going and limited as to how many can fit. This is also true of the St. Peter's dome. We showed up at the Vatican museum at opening time (8:45am). The line was blocks long, full of tour groups and probably a 2 hour wait. We then decided to go to St. Peter's first. We climbed the dome, with no line, went through the church, then went through the crypt under the church. Then about 1pm, we went back to the Vatican museum and waited about 5 minutes to get in! Everybody goes there first thing in the morning. We ate lunch in the museum at a modestly priced cafeteria, toured the museum and ended in the Sistine Chapel. We exited the chapel at the door in the back right (where it said tour groups). That takes you directly back to St. Peters without having to walk the several blocks back from the entrance and without having to go thru security again. If you have the audio guide, you may not be able to exit this way. We noticed that the Dome climbing line was very long in the afternoon. Also, the hours are shorter in winter (although the crowds are, too), so you probably want to get into the museum before 1pm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Looked at www.goporta.com and requested a tour of the vatican museums. They sent me an email asking for me to put info in for my hotel and room since a confirmation fax will be sent to the hotel with my 'faxed ticket' to enter my tour? Has anyone booked with goporta.com before and was on a cruise? How does this work then - how do you get the info faxed to you if you are on the ship. Help - any info would be great from those that have done this with goporta before.

thanks

Hi

Looked at www.goporta.com and requested a tour of the vatican museums. They sent me an email asking for me to put info in for my hotel and room since a confirmation fax will be sent to the hotel with my 'faxed ticket' to enter my tour? Has anyone booked with goporta.com before and was on a cruise? How does this work then - how do you get the info faxed to you if you are on the ship. Help - any info would be great from those that have done this with goporta before.

thanks

We used this site last year to book the Vatican Museums tour, and we received our confirmation number via email before we left home. However, I believe things have changed in that they are not getting confirmation from the Vatican until much closer to the tour date (just like everyone else). I would respond to their email by explaining you are going to be on a cruise and ask if you can receive confirmation by email. If they say yes, and you don't have the confirmation before leaving home, check your email when you are on the ship.

Archived