Which cruise line and boat?

desiray

My husband and I are planning on going on a cruise to Alaska in Sept 2007. There are so many cruise lines to choose from! We don't want to spend a fortune but we don't want the worst ship either. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Narrow down what you are looking for:

How long a cruise are you looking for?

What are you interested in seeing? Is it wildlife, glaciers, doing activities, etc? Do you want the opportunity to do a Land Tour?

What do you like to do? Do you like a more formal atmosphere or a more casual atmosphere? Do you like a lot of activities onboard ship or do you want things that are more cultured?

Do you want a one way cruise or a roundtrip?

Personally, I would look for cruises that, if they only have one glacier cruising time, go to Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier instead of Tracy Arm. If you want a roundtrip cruise, go for one out of Vancouver instead of Seattle. Of the roundtrip cruises, I personally like HAL Zuiderdam's itinerary (also the Zaandam's), because it is a roundtrip out of Vancouver that goes to both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.

I am sailing for the first time on the Princess Island (Princess Coral is identical), Northbound Alaska, 9/3/06. I have sailed on Carnival many times and RCL a few times. After reviewing the Alaska post and Princess post for several weeks, I think I have made a great decision. However, you need to first decide what you want to see in Alaska, how long, desired port for embarkation and disbarkation, and what your interest are on a ship. I have always been told that a balcony is very beneficial for the Alaska cruise because of all of the scenery. Hope this helps a little. Have a great cruise, I just can't wait for mine.

I didn't know that there were so many different decisions. My husband is intereseted in seeing the glaciers and the whales. I'm interested in a fun ship with nice surroundings.

Desiray -

Well, you said it: "Fun Ship" ...... Duh ..... CARNIVAL, of course!!

We are doing the round trip out of Vancouver on Carnival Spirit September 5, 2007... You can research all my posts to see how we came to this decision!!..

Maybe we'll see you there!!

The worst ship for me would be one without cheap balconies. I remember being on Carnival Spirit and seeing Seabourn Spirit (a VERY expensive ship) anchored off and it had no balconies! Unless you get cold very easily, choose one of the newer ships. They have cheaper balconies.

The worst ship for me would be one without cheap balconies. I remember being on Carnival Spirit and seeing Seabourn Spirit (a VERY expensive ship) anchored off and it had no balconies! Unless you get cold very easily, choose one of the newer ships. They have cheaper balconies.

Not everyone cruising to Alaska cares about balconies. We'll be in the least expensive inside cabin on our ship, and it's just down the hall from the "secret balcony" on the Baja (and Caribe) deck of the Coral (and Island) Princess.

After much research and many, many tips from these boards I decided on Celebrity Summit, Vancouver to Seward, then Princess Island or Diamond for the trip back down.

That's GREAT, because you will get a nice variety of ports and glaciers! We considered back to back cruises, but really wanted to do a land trip in addition, and don't have the time or money to do B2B's plus a week on land.

That's GREAT, because you will get a nice variety of ports and glaciers! We considered back to back cruises, but really wanted to do a land trip in addition, and don't have the time or money to do B2B's plus a week on land.

Not really a Back to Back. We are renting a RV for ten days between the two. Really want to do some hiking. We have two years to save for it.(Planning this for 2008) As for time, DH is a teacher and I work at the same school. I am also the summer camp as. director but hope to give it up after next year. Then we can have the summers off.

Want a CC with balcony for the trip up and will look at the cheapest cabin for the return.

Archived