Rough Weather?

Howsey

Hi All

I am planning to go on the Pacific Sun to Noumea and the other Pacific islands in April next year. My family can get seasick and are a bit nervous about the weather conditions. We are leaving ex Sydney.

Any advice would be great!!

Hi All

I am planning to go on the Pacific Sun to Noumea and the other Pacific islands in April next year. My family can get seasick and are a bit nervous about the weather conditions. We are leaving ex Sydney.

Any advice would be great!!

Hi there Howsey, we went in April/May this year and had beautiful weather. It wasn't too hot in the islands but you still watch out for sunburn just the same, especially if you are snorkelling. It was cool when we left Sydney even cold at night if you were outside. We also felt cold in the Showroom in the evenings so take a wrap or something similar. It seems to be a bit rougher coming back to Sydney but it didn't bother me, but apparently I don't get seasick I discovered. If you are the type to get up early to see the first site of Sydney when you come back, then take a blanket from the room with you, it is freezing coming back in. There is so much you can take or wear etc for seasickness these days you should be ok. Our cruise was 11 days and in that time I think it 'sprinkled' for a little while one day.

Hi Howsey,

There is heaps of great advice in this forum on dealing with sea sickness. Just search the forum and read to your heart's content. My one piece of advice is don't dwell on this. I have found the people who get the most worried about sea sickness are the most likely to feel sick if the ship starts rolling (even just a little bit). It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

What I would recommend is investing in some sea bands, good sea sickness tablets (like Dramamine, and actually take them) and planning on having a fantastic cruise. If all else fails go to the medical centre and get an injection.

A lady I work with just happened to be on the same cruise as me in January and she was worried about getting sea sick. It seems she gets sick just standing on a jetty! But she was fine. Followed all the precautions and didn't even need an injection.

Have a fantastic time!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

I totally agree don't let your mind lead you into feeling sick, don't think about it. We came out of Europe when I was a baby and my mother was violently ill so i was worried that maybe I would be too even though I have done sea crossings in Europe and only felt a little nauseuos. I took a kwells before we went on, another at night, next morning felt a little uncomfortable so took a stemzil and went and had a good breakfast. They will tell you on board that you should eat if you feel queasy and it does the trick!! You then just get busy and don't dwell on it and have a fantastic time!

That's great news about the weather in April/May. I was wondering about that myself. I wanted to go in February March but my husband was a bit worried because it is cyclone season then. So we have booked 30th April.:D

What cruise are you on, Howsey?

Jenny

>^..^<

I'm not sure what the weather will be like at that time of year but my advice is be prepared. I just got off the Sun on Sunday and was sea sick (including vomiting) several times. It was really rough as we left Sydney and there were a couple of other rough patches. I took Kwells each day (started 2 days before we left) and Draminine at night. Draminine makes you very sleepy and ensures a good nights sleep. When actually feeling sick I took Maxalon (but you need a script). I didn't visit the doctor as I'd rather spend my money on more exciting things!! Good luck

aliflem

Just be aware that even when it is flat calm you still get the movement of the ship. It isn't anything to be worried about. I listened to people that said, "Oh, you don't even know you are on a ship" You do though and I was dissapointed, BUT, that didn't last long. I was too busy to worry about it. Our last trip was very rough, I was sick once, just because I got cocky and decided I was tough and didn't need to keep taking my sea sick pills, I started taking them again and that was that. It is funny trying to walk down the corridors when it is rough. They reckon you can tell who are the drunk ones, as they walk down the corridors straight when it is rough. Enjoy your trip and go with an open mind. I take a medication made by a pharmacy up north, the Pahia Pharmacy. The pills are called Pahia Bombs, you can get them on mail order. If they work for me they should work for anybody. If they hadn't of worked I would have had no hesitation on getting 'the jab' onboard. You take two, one, then half and hour later the second one. I take one as soon as I get onboard, then the second one and it sets you up.

I too just came off the Sun on Sunday and we copped the worst weather so bad that I just thought 'How am I going to do this for ten days?'

You dont get used to it in my opinion. You just learn go go with it. I felt sick but never got to the point of hurling because as soon as I would feel myself getting icky, I would go straight to my cabin and lay down. Focusing on watching TV was good for me and I also found that eating helped. You feel like you dont want to eat because you feel so sick but trust me, I found that when I was on an empty stomach, I felt woozy, as soon as I got some food into me, it made me feel better.

Hubby threw up on the night coming out of Noumea and blocked the sink in cabin, it was foul. I hated him so much at that moment because I had got through a week alright but hearing him and smelling him tested my stomach...lol...

I took Kwells, but I still felt queasy, but I didnt throw up- so maybe they helped me from becoming a total wreck, I dont know. They made my eyes all itchy and drowsy and I slept like a log- sleeping really is the best solution. Some nights I was in bed by 9pm just so I wouldnt have to feel it.

Other solution is to drink lots- the world swaying around you isnt such a big deal then. Lol. :rolleyes:

Have fun!!!!! :D

You'll be fine after you get used to it. I have been back a few days and actually miss the lull of the ocean.

Archived