Passport lost in the mail

sailingsue5

My son's passport seems to be lost in the mail system. Tracking number given to me by the passport agency says it was mailed on 9/11. Any suggestions on what I should do? Start the cancellation process because it's lost and get a new one started or wait a while yet? We leave on 10/28. I know he doesn't need one yet but the whole idea was :confused: everyone having them for ease of travel! Will I have to pay for a new one if I start over again? FYI Both of my girls applied on the same day and they received theirs on 9/15.

How did they mail them? UPS, USPS, FEDEX? If they have a tracking number then they should be able to tell where it is and get it back on the right track. I'd give them another call and get a name so you have a contact person. Seeing it's not imperative that you have it before your cruise I would try the tracking first. I don't know if they would charge you with another passport.

You may want to call. The tracking with the USPS is a bit behind. Case in point: when I looked on the website to see the tracking on my passport, it said that it was being delivered (mailed, whatever the word was)... it took another 10 days or so for it to show. But I would call to see what the status is with a real person.

With DH's passport, the government website said it was still being processed and it arrived without the information ever being updated.

D :)

In addition, when I sent for my DS & DD passports in July, I had to send their original birth certificates. If you did the same, even if you do not need the passport for this cruise, you will probably need his original birth cert. which is now also lost in the system.

We had this same issue with my parents' passports for a cruise in January 2007. We were dealing with the Miami passport office. They mailed the passports, but my parents were out of town when they were delivered, and the post office returned them.

We went round and round for a week or so with the Miami office saying that they were checking their returned mail pile, etc.

Finally, I contacted our U.S. Senator's office, who put me in contact with an actual person in the Miami office. This individual was great, telling us exactly what to send in, the wording to use in the letter, etc. We had it resolved in a week.

My recollection is that we did not have to pay to re-apply, only to send the pictures back in. Of course, the birth certificates they had sent in were lost, but we were able to obtain replacements later on.

Long story short, I would contact my U.S. Senator's office and ask for the constituent relations person(s) who would handle this type matter. Passport problems are a common problem for them to handle, and they should be able to help you get this sorted out.

Good luck and happy travels.

I would give it until the end of the week, at least. I'm pretty sure the passport offices use the USPS to send out passports, so you could keep checking on their website with your tracking number. You don't say where you live, or which office issued your daughter's passports, but it's only been a week (and a day) since they were mailed out. I am retired from the USPS and if you could see the volume of mail they process on a daily basis you'd understand why I said to wait a few more days.

You could also call your local post office to see if it has been received by them and is sitting there.

Thanks for all your suggestions. It was mailed from Charleston and I live in Illinois. I have talked with the postmaster again this morning and it still hasn't showed up there. I called the passport agency again and since it is past their waiting period now for a delivery date, the lady I spoke with was going to put in an order for a re-issue. She said I wouldn't have to do anything further unless they asked me to fill out a DS-86 form (Non-Receipt of Passport). She said sometimes they do, sometimes they don't want this form. She told me to call back in 48 hours and see what the status is of the new passport. I asked about waiting a few more days and they said they don't like to do that because they don't like not knowing where a passport is. I don't understand why they don't send these registered mail, requiring a signature. To me it makes no sense to send such an important document via regular mail. The tracking number they put on them obviously doesn't make a difference when they can't find out where it is, only if it's been received. You are right about his birth certificate being lost also. I have another certified copy of that so it isn't a huge deal. I'll keep you posted on what happens. No cruise documents yet either. Hopefully that turns out better! :)

S

I wouldn't waste any more time with the USPS tracking system as it is worthless. Unlike UPS or FedEx, the USPS doesn't really "track" anything as it basically logs the originating shipping location/date and the final delivery location/date--nothing in between. It's more like an electronic shipment and delivery confirmation system. This is why the majority of people who ship things that need to be tracked (e.g. most retailers and eBay sellers) use UPS or FedEx over USPS. Hope you get your passport soon!

I had a similar situation... Not a passport, but an envelope with a tracking number got lost. After speaking to the Postmaster several times with no progress I just happened to run into a friend that works in a post office; I will pass on to you what he told me... Call the Postmaster again, tell him you would like to know each location the item has been scanned in, and tell him to initiate an Empty Bag Search in the last known location. Sometimes small packages and envelopes get stuck in a bag and not noticed because they virtually have no weight to them. Through an empty bag search they may find your son's passport and get it to you with all of your original documentation submitted.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising

Great tip Wrench. I'll remember that next time something I have important gets lost in the mail. I usually send everything important UPS OR FEDEX due the greater ability to track. Still though I've had an item lost and despite having the last known scan it was never recovered.

My daughters was lost too. My tracking number said it was mailed but the post office said no they had never received it. The Seattle office faxed me a simple 4 question form to sign and fax back then they sent her a new one via fed-x. You just have to agree to destroy the original one if it arrives. Guess I forgot I didn't get her birth certificate back but we keep several copies on hand now a days.

BonVoyage

Dawna

A little OT, but is anyone else having problems with delivery of UPS items?

Everything I've ordered that has been shipped UPS takes 2 weeks to be delivered. I've had returns that I sent back UPS that did the same. I don't have this problem with Fedex or USPS, just UPS.

It's gotten to the point where when I order, if I have an alternative, I always choose USPS over UPS.

To the OP, I'd wait a couple more days, it may still show up.

I process passports and probably would send in or fax the non-receipt of passport, if you don't get it by the weekend. The records are only kept at the processing center for about 30 days and then everything is sent to Washington. A replacement is relatively easy if you are in the 30 day window, after that it is more complicated.

It shouldn't take that long to receive the passport but sometimes it happens.

I hope you get it soon.

We had a similar situation but the timing was even closer, and we were going to Europe so did need it. Luckily NYC has a passport center, so we waiting on line for hours but got one that day ( we were leaving in few days) and of course it came in the mail the end of the next day.

It came in yesterdays mail. I had the non-receipt of passport form all filled out but since I didn't send it his original passport is still ok to use. They did have a note in the file already that I hadn't received it yet but they said as long as they hadn't recieved that fax, it wasn't a problem. I just wish they had a better system for sending out the passports. I am glad I went ahead and got them for all 3 of my kids now. Will be so much easier traveling with just the passport instead of birth certificates. Thanks for all the advice and support!

It came in yesterdays mail. I had the non-receipt of passport form all filled out but since I didn't send it his original passport is still ok to use. They did have a note in the file already that I hadn't received it yet but they said as long as they hadn't recieved that fax, it wasn't a problem. I just wish they had a better system for sending out the passports. I am glad I went ahead and got them for all 3 of my kids now. Will be so much easier traveling with just the passport instead of birth certificates. Thanks for all the advice and support!

WOW!!!!!!!!!:eek:

I am so happy to hear that it came in!!!!! As I am reading the thread I am on the edge of my seat hoping to read that you got the passport!!!

Go and have some fun now, you have earned it!!!:D

My mail person delivered my passports and left them on the ground in front of my door (don't ask me why since I have a mailbox).

Well my dog got a hold of them and chewed them up!

Needless to say the post office paid to have them reissued and it didn't take long to get them.

If that weren't enough, the following week the mail person left the cruise documents on the ground and you guessed it--dog chewed those too!!

Those were the only 2 incidences and I'm thinking either the mail person didn't want us to go on the cruise or the dog didn't!!

This is the very reason that I decided NOT to apply for a passport for me and my DH until after this next cruise in early December. I am originally from NY and I would have to drive from Southern PA to NY to obtain a new copy of my Bith Certificate. To make matters worse, I was married in Canada. If they lost my marriage cert, I would have to extend my trip to Canada! I wasn't taking my chances until after this trip. Sounds like I made the right move... :D

This is the very reason that I decided NOT to apply for a passport for me and my DH until after this next cruise in early December. I am originally from NY and I would have to drive from Southern PA to NY to obtain a new copy of my Bith Certificate. To make matters worse, I was married in Canada. If they lost my marriage cert, I would have to extend my trip to Canada! I wasn't taking my chances until after this trip. Sounds like I made the right move... :D

You don't have to drive to get your birth certificate. Most states allow you to request a copy (make sure you request a certified copy) via the internet. Or for sure you could call the county office where you were born and they would send one to you. You just put the fee on your credit card. Mine was $7 but I know that varies by state also. It only took 2 days to get here and that was with just a normal request and sent regular mail. I'm not sure how you would get a copy of your marriage certificate from Canada but I would think that would be similar. Definitely worth a phone call before you would make the trip there.

Archived