Destiny wrong time

ronnarel

Learned a lesson this time. Don't quite no how to remedy it next time unless someone has some suggestions. Found out after the cruise that there was apparently a special offer for people in San Juan to cruise for a ridiculously low price. The ship was full of local people especially late teens and early 20's. Thus every announcement and instructions had to be repeated in Spanish. Have no problem with that except I don't speak it. Wish I did and may attempt a course in it. It was a bit annoying but I'm sure it was for both.

And the fact of so many kids and partying was not of our liking.

Now my question is. how do you find out some idea of the make-up of the cruise and if there are any big groups sailing? ( please try not to flame me too much).

ron - its no different in florida, texas, or anywhere else where cruise's depart. there are local ads offering huge discounts just to get you in the room. remember, its the liquor and gambling money that they want from you.

upgrades as explained to me are mostly for one reason! the cruise ship knows that there is a better chance to sell your cabin than the nicer one on a last minute cruise. hence, your upgraded.

Ronnarel- The Destiny should be making announcements in both English and Spanish as the home port is a Spanish speaking US territory.

The deals are offered to home ports just as they are here in the states to Texas, Florida, New York, etc. residents.

I don't mean to sound caddy, but did you not know that Puerto Ricans spoke Spanish??

It's close to impossible to really find out the make up of your cruise- age or nationality wise unless you're traveling during Spring Break on a 3-4 day sailing. Then, it's pretty obvious the ship will be loaded with college aged folks, etc.

Ronnarel- The Destiny should be making announcements in both English and Spanish as the home port is a Spanish speaking US territory.

The deals are offered to home ports just as they are here in the states to Texas, Florida, New York, etc. residents.

I don't mean to sound caddy, but did you not know that Puerto Ricans spoke Spanish??

It's close to impossible to really find out the make up of your cruise- age or nationality wise unless you're traveling during Spring Break on a 3-4 day sailing. Then, it's pretty obvious the ship will be loaded with college aged folks, etc.

I think the term is catty and yes of course I knew that. That wasn't my point. I realized the ship would have Puerto Ricans I just didn't realize there would be so many young ones. Over all they were fine. Just wanted everyone to realize when and where you sail from can make a difference in your enjoyment.

I was well aware of the sailings out of San Juan. Most of my stuff that came to the cabin was in spanish-- like my debarkation papers, and stuff like that.

Most announcements were done in english then spanish. (it was like one big long announcement all week)

I could deal with the language issue as that was expected. what wasnt expected was the rude, agressive pigs I sailed with. (sorry for being blunt and to the point)

Learned a lesson this time. Don't quite no how to remedy it next time unless someone has some suggestions. Found out after the cruise that there was apparently a special offer for people in San Juan to cruise for a ridiculously low price. The ship was full of local people especially late teens and early 20's. Thus every announcement and instructions had to be repeated in Spanish. Have no problem with that except I don't speak it. Wish I did and may attempt a course in it. It was a bit annoying but I'm sure it was for both.

And the fact of so many kids and partying was not of our liking.

Now my question is. how do you find out some idea of the make-up of the cruise and if there are any big groups sailing? ( please try not to flame me too much).

It is my understanding that is how most of the SJ cruises are. Any cruise is going to have a large amount of "locals"... regardless of if it's Florida, Texas, San Juan, etc. That's the way it goes...

As for big groups... google your sailing. But as for the make up of the cruise... first, you have to use your head ;) If a cruise is going out of France, you can believe there will be alot of a place where another language is prominent, you can imagine that many announcements will be made in both languages... You can't cruise out of Puerto Rico and expect that the make up of the cruise will be all English speaking citizens...

what wasnt expected was the rude, agressive pigs I sailed with. (sorry for being blunt and to the point)

Meaning who the Puerto Ricans.... Then maybe you should cruise from your home port and not the Puerto Ricans home port so that you dont have to deal with "the rude agressive pigs":mad: :mad: :mad:

what wasnt expected was the rude, agressive pigs I sailed with. (sorry for being blunt and to the point)

Meaning who the Puerto Ricans.... Then maybe you should cruise from your home port and not the Puerto Ricans home port so that you dont have to deal with "the rude agressive pigs":mad: :mad: :mad:

I don't think that is what she meant :rolleyes: You can have rude aggressive pigs on any sailing... she didn't say "rude aggressive Puerto Ricans" did she?? That's QUITE an assumption!!

I sailed the Destiny earlier this year and experienced the same thing. Did it annoy me a bit to hear the announcements in both languages? Sure it did, but it is par for the course. They should get the full experience just as much as we do. It wasn't the Puerto Ricans that annoyed me on this cruise, but the Americans. I have never seen such rude and disgusting passengers in my life. From their manners to their apparel. Of course, that is the chance you have to take when you cruise and you can't let any of that ruin your trip. After all it is a vacation. Nothing is better than that!

I must have had a good time, because I booked another cruise out of San Juan in December. I am hoping the more costly prices on RCI keep the same people I saw on the Destiny away!

We sailed the Festivale in 1995 out of San Juan and our sailing had approximately 200 San Juan high school graduates on board with 4 chaperones. The group pretty much took over the ship and many were drunk continually. I can't really blame the kids as they were celebrating graduation, just not enough chaperones. I'm not sure what the drinking age was on the ship at that time. I remember one kid in particular that was always the center of chaos and drunk as a skunk. I wonder if he's even still alive.:eek:

I don't think that is what she meant :rolleyes: You can have rude aggressive pigs on any sailing... she didn't say "rude aggressive Puerto Ricans" did she?? That's QUITE an assumption!!

You're absolutely right she didnt state that but the OP was cleary speaking about the locals who happen to be Puerto Ricans and so she just may as well have said the "rude aggresive Puerto Rican pigs" she sailed with.... Plus this is not the first time that I have heard comments like that about the locals from PR..... like someone mentioned earlier anyone planning a vacation should research it first whether its land vacation or a cruise.....

You're absolutely right she didnt state that but the OP was cleary speaking about the locals who happen to be Puerto Ricans and so she just may as well have said the "rude aggresive Puerto Rican pigs" she sailed with.... Plus this is not the first time that I have heard comments like that about the locals from PR..... like someone mentioned earlier anyone planning a vacation should research it first whether its land vacation or a cruise.....

That was me who mentioned that earlier :D If she would have meant that, she would have said that. You cannot make assumptions like that. You have no idea who she meant and it's really unfair to her to try and make her out to be some sort of vicious racist. Sorry, if I thought that is what she meant, I'd be right there with you, but in this day and age, you can't go putting words in people's mouths.

GoinCruisin, your reply was perfectly appropriate for any bunch of pigs, who can sail from anywhere. To deeola, don't go away mad, just go away. ;)

Well, there IS a lesson here, and one often only learned by sailing from a particular port. The ship will have a lot of people from the local area or region. If you cruise with them once and find you don't like them, then pick a different port. A different date is probably not going to make that much of a difference, except regarding the number of kids on board at school breaks.

We cruised out of New Orleans (maybe 4 or 5 years ago) and we liked the cruise, we liked our fellow cruisers, but there was a LOT more smoking than we've seen on cruises out of Florida, and I later ran across statistics on the percentage of smokers in various regions, and sure enough, Mississippi and Louisiana have more smokers than the Midwest. So I'm not sure if we'll cruise from there again.

So if multiligual announcements bug you, don't cruise out of any port that is not English speaking (and don't cruise on any ship that markets to linguistically or geographically diverse populations). I've cruised on ships with three or more languages for announcements and, to me, it just gives me more time to get my brain around the fact that an announcement is being made, so I can't see the problem....

I have only sailed Destiny in summer months of July & August, honestly, i don't remember seeing any locals on board, although i am sure there were problably a few, the anouncements were only in english. Maybe it is the fall & winter months when the ship is harder to fill that the resident specials are run.

Even if the anouncements were in 2 languages, i wouldn;t have minded.

Oh and one more thing, Pigs sail out of every port on every ship.

Some clarification is needed I think. It wasn't the OP that stated "rude aggressive pigs" and no one posting the comments said it was the Puerto Ricans.

Serene56 probably has one of the highest post counts on the boards, so stating that she should have done her research is a bit strange to say the least. I personally know and have seen her posting and asking questions for months and months about the Destiny.

This issue comes up every now and then and lets just remind everyone again that Puerto Rico is a United States Territory although their cultures and language might be different.

I met many many wonderful Puerto Ricans on my cruise, and I've always encountered "some" rude folks on each cruise I've been on as well as any land vacation.

Expect the possibility of hearing announcements in another language when a home port is not in the continental US. I was on a cruise in Europe in July and everything was announced not only in English, but also Spanish and German. It took some time to get through the announcements. I was understanding of this as I knew the ship was full of a variety of nationalities.

WOW!!

Too funny. I couldnt tell you if it was locals or not who were being the pigs. I have sailed out of a few ports including phila, new Orleans, Fla and New York and never did I encounter graffitti up and down hall ways or X's scratched into the atrium elevators.

I have not encountered any one who would throw fruit punch all over the place. and leave huge messes in the buffet area. (im sure the people do not do this at home)

Do me research?? I was well prepared for locals onboard. I was prepared for the language barrier. I was prepared for many things. I was not prepared for the ambiance of the cruise.

Archived