How many outfits would you take?

St.Love

Your question is as clear as mud.;)

What do you mean by "outfit"? Is what you sleep in considered an outfit? How about your bathing suit or work-out wear....are those outfits?

Does you ship have formal nights or is it all casual? What kind of day excursions will you participate in?

It's true that we are missing some information but my first thought was:

2 bathing suits & coverups

2-3 capris OR casual skirts (what you prefer)

1 pair of shorts (excursions involving physical activity)

5 t-shirts or casual blouse/shirt

3 dressy tops (dinner)

1 sundress

1 formal dress (cocktail dress or long gown)

LOTS of underwear (at very least 10 pairs, 15 is better)

If you go to the gym, think 1 pair of pants/shorts for 2 workouts and 1 t-shirt per workout.

Beach Flip Flops

Comfy but nice sandals (casual dinners and shopping in port)

Running shoes or walking shoes (excursions involving lots of walking + gym)

Dressy sandals (formal dinner or other dinners)

All accessories, toiletteries, sunglasses, camera, etc.

Depends on the line as well as the duration. A 5 nighter on X is quite different than one on Carnival.

jp2001, what are the dressy tops to go with?

I do not wear capri's or casual skirts to the dining room for dinner so they would not be on my list. For dinner, I wear dressy slacks/skirts, a silk dress, etc. on nights that are not formal.

I would bring 3-4 bathing suits, a workout set for each day, and some cotton skirts or sundresses for days in port (assuming warm weather).

I would also pack two pair of heels for evenings and one pair of medium heels.

Depends on the line as well as the duration. A 5 nighter on X is quite different than one on Carnival.

jp2001, what are the dressy tops to go with?

I do not wear capri's or casual skirts to the dining room for dinner so they would not be on my list. For dinner, I wear dressy slacks/skirts, a silk dress, etc. on nights that are not formal.

I was assuming the initial poster is going on Carnival since she has a picture of a Carnival ship. I also heard that shorter cruises are a little less dressy and usually have only 1 formal night. My packing list was on the minimal side (I should have indicated that, what I didn't, sorry and thank you for asking clarification).

I am one of the people who would wear casual skirts or nice capris to the dinning room (paired with a ''dressier'' top), especially on a line like NCL or Carnival. I will also wear the same skirt/capris a few days later with a t-shirt onboard the ship of in port for some shopping.

Obviously, if the initial poster doesn't want to wear an item twice, she then would need 5 outfits for the nights and 7 outfits for the day (including embarkation + debarkation) and she can takes one pair of shoes for each outfits if it is what she wants but with such a short cruise, there is probably a way to coordinating colors to cut down on number of shoes needed.

I wear the same outfit to embark and debark and that saves on space. Since the OP lives in FL as I do, that is an option as well as she is not having to deal with climate concerns.

I agree that capris and casual skirts are worn by many on NCL and Carnival to dinner. It is matter of personal style.:)

Sorry it was clearer as I was thinking but not so clear when I typed it, lol.

I mean outfits, like shorts and shirts?

We only plan on eating in the dining room once on Formal night since we have 4 small children, buffet here we come ;) . I have 2 suits for me and 1 each for the kids and dh.

We embark at 4:00pm. on Monday so I was thinking:

1 outfit for Monday night

2 outfits for Tuesday

1 outfit for Wednesday since we will be off ship most of the day and that night is the formal dinner (Grand Cayman).

2 outfits for Thursday for Thursday (Cozumel).

2 outfits for Friday.

1 outfit for Saterday (we get back).

This is our first cruise so I was told to pack jean shorts and tee shirts for the family. We don't plan on eating in the dining room other than on formal night and we all have ball gowns and tuxes for that.

LOL :p . My dhs buddy sails alot and he says were worrying about what to take too much. He said he took too many outfits last week and ended up in his pool wear most of the time. I'm easy to please so I don't need to dress to impress just HAVE FUN!:D

He said most people wore tee shirts and shorts. He was surprised to see sucj informal wear in the dining room at night too!

Re StLoves's comments, the fact is that shorts are not permitted in the dining room at dinner on any of the major cruise lines; that some folks ignore this and wear them anyway is another issue entirely.

I agree that swimsuits and coverups are worn in the daytime IF you are a pool person or a beach person. They are not appropriate for indoor activities on the ship.

I dress for dinner because IMO it is fun and and not the imposition that some cruisers feel it is.

I have yet to be on a cruise where "most" wore shorts and T shirts in the main dining rooms at dinner and I have cruised a lot. These folks who dress down still stand out from those that are properly attired and not in a positive way. It is by no means a majority.

Casual dining venues were created for just this purpose, so that those who prefer casual attire would have an option.

To the OP, I think you can scale down quite a bit. Are you beaching it with the kids in Cozumel and Cayman, both of which have great beaches? For those ports, I wear a bathing suit with a summer skirt and tank over it. I can get two wearings out of that skirt with no problem.

Tuesday and Friday I assume are sea days. Will you be at the pool with the kids? Are they old enough for the kids program? You can certainly wear the same slacks to dinner on both of those night in the buffet, pehaps changing your top.

Have fun on your cruise!

I would wear off what I wear on.

I would bring at least two suits per family member, nobody likes to put on a wet one. Also, a few collared shirts for the little ones, they may want to feel a little more dressed even for casual dinner venue. A sundress or two for daughters. For yourself, I would suggest a few sundresses also, an evening wrap (one for everybody, you might end up buying a lot of sweatshirts you don't want or need), and some interchangeable tops to pair with cute skirts, capris, slacks, whatever you prefer. Hope your family has a great time. How are you accomodating your faimily of six? We are a family of five, 2 sons, 1 daughter and cruise accomodations are challenging!

Wow I'm surprised at all the suggestions to dress up! I called my sister who just got off the Disney and she said it was not like what I'm being told. It was very laid back, jeans, jean short, and tees most of the time worn around the boat 24/7. As for the dining room she only ate there once on formal dinner and the other night at the buffet. We choose to eat at the buffet on all the other nights since we have kids. We are going to be very CASUAL, no slacks or dresses here on non formal nights. Now on formal night we have went all out with tuxes even for the baby and ball gowns for me and the girls. I'm on vacation not a fashion show :D .

I do imagine that shorts and tees are allowed in the buffet, right?

I always found it funny that no one likes to put on a WET bathing suit but if you are going swimming , does it really matter??? It's going to get wet!!!

(But I know what you mean...I don't like it either!!)...I would put on a damp suit to go directly to the pool but not if I had to do something before that...

Still can't figure out why some people take a shower BEFORE they go to the beach!!!

Wow I'm surprised at all the suggestions to dress up! I called my sister who just got off the Disney and she said it was not like what I'm being told. It was very laid back, jeans, jean short, and tees most of the time worn around the boat 24/7. As for the dining room she only ate there once on formal dinner and the other night at the buffet. We choose to eat at the buffet on all the other nights since we have kids. We are going to be very CASUAL, no slacks or dresses here on non formal nights. Now on formal night we have went all out with tuxes even for the baby and ball gowns for me and the girls. I'm on vacation not a fashion show :D .

I do imagine that shorts and tees are allowed in the buffet, right?

I have never been on Disney so cannot comment.

Each line has their own rules as to attire. Many lines have folks that ignore them, bu most comply.

I have never opted for the buffet for dinner, so cannot comment on that either. I generally avoid the buffet period, perferring to be served.

Dressing up has nothing to do with a "fashion show", it is a matter of style. I do not wear shorts at night anywhere on the ship, any ship, period.

It seems like you have already decided what to do so, honestly, why are you asking?:confused:

Enjoy your cruise.

I think the OP really just wants reinforcement. Your packing sounds fine, a little on the heavy side for me, but it will work for you.

I would also disembark in the same clothes I boarded in, in your case it will be a total of 6 outfits, thats about o whole suitcase. I'd also mix and match on the casual nights, bringing only 2 pair of slacks or skirts and 4 tops. If you wear the same outfit the first and last nights dinners, you can cut back on another 6 outfits for the family.

I'm also puzzled why you would want to eat at the buffet, your kids will be welcome in the dining room. It would be so much less work for you in the dining room, all you have to do is order. They have childrens menus, or the kids can order off the adult menu. You still have to clean them up and get dressed, why not have a server bring your food, rather than serving yourself and managing 4 little ones in that environment. Unless you cannot get your kids to sit still for dinner, or speak in a quiet voice, but I'm sure that's not the case. They would have a great time at the "grown up" dinner.

I'm pretty much a buffet snob, though, I've never really met one I liked all that much. I prefer to be served and not carry my own food around, hunting down a table. We pretty much only eat in the buffet once, upon boarding, because it is the only venue open.

It's really not that difficult to dress appropriately for dinner in the dining room. It's certainly no fashion show and many people are dressed casually. Sometimes too casually.

Whatever your choices, have a great cruise!

I totally agree with Ks about the dining room vs. buffet. It is alot easier, and more pleasureable to be served. Personally, I love planning my cruise wardrobe, and executing it, but that is me. A former coach used to say "Why dress down when you can dress up?" If casual attire makes you happy on a vacation then that is what you should pack. I am sure many families will be casual on a shorter cruise. I hope you and your family have a great time.

I always found it funny that no one likes to put on a WET bathing suit but if you are going swimming , does it really matter??? It's going to get wet!!!

(But I know what you mean...I don't like it either!!)...I would put on a damp suit to go directly to the pool but not if I had to do something before that...

Still can't figure out why some people take a shower BEFORE they go to the beach!!!

my answers:

1. It is so gross to put on a wet suit, think of the bacterial growth if you have to sit around for any time in a damp suit. I take a change of underwear, so I can get out of my wet suit ASAP!

2. I would shower before going to the beach for a.) if there is any lotion on my skin, I want to make sure it is off for the sunscreen to penetrate better and b.) if I should have any type of fragrance on my skin, I don't want to attract bugs. (but of course, most sunscreens are fragranced :rolleyes: ). Avon does have a sunscreen with bug repellant, I can hardly tolerate the fragrance from it.

Archived