Aft cabins and seasickness??

racepoint

I put a deposit down today for two side-by-side Aft balconies on Caribbean Princess, Baja Deck, for Sping Break week in April '07. It just occurrred to me that my daughter is prone to seasickness. We have cruised several times before with the kids, and without any problems, but have always been mid-ship. I feel lucky to have snagged Aft cabins at such a late date, but now I want to know what the extent of movement is on the Aft cabins.

and my husband always books aft cabins. You will not feel the motion as much there as you would in the bow, but more than if you are low midship. My advice is to bring along some seasickness remedies in case. I always use Mecclazine because it works well, I can get it in large quantities at a reasonable price and have no side effects from it. I would make sure that you have something in case, but you should be okay.

Enjoy your cruise

Charlie

I agree with Spikesgirl. There can be more movement aft but it is more of a fishtailing if the seas are rough. But, if the seas are rough, there will be motion throughout the ship. Forward is the worst as are the higher decks. Midship low down are the best but nothing can compare to the view of the stern of the ship. Those who have sailed there usually return. I would never pick an aft cabin on a Celebrity ship since they are plagued with horrible vibration problems. This was true on the Century class and somewhat on the Zenith. Don't know about the Millenium class.

We sail with family that has the sea sickness problem, and we book aft whenever we can get it. Those who have the problem have found that the Relief Band (the electronic wrist band, not just the elastic pressure-point bands) does the trick. You can find them on the internet, and it is well worth the price. We always travel with one (just in case) although most times we don't need it, even in the stern cabins.

paulfredo

I don't have ton's of cruises under my signature but do get sea sick, motion sick very easily. I wouldn't have ever tried a cruise except I won one. I swear by Meclazine!

Will also add that I cruised last April and the seas were like glass! I think it's a good time of year.

Racepoint, what sailing are you on? We're book on the 4/8 sailing!

We always book aft balconies and I find this area of the ship to be very stable. Much the same as a speedboat, a cruise ship is driven from the back, and you certainly will not see the propellers jumping out ot the water. Side to side rock is almost constant anywhere on the ship. Remember that the first four or five decks are almost always for crew and public areas. The lower deck cabins are mostly inside/ocean view so balconies usually start at Deck 6 - doesn't make a whole lot of difference above that. Also, anyone can get seasick at any time. I have been on 18 cruises. Went on a snorkel excursion two years ago and got sick as soon as the boat stopped - never snorkel off a two deck boat.

Agree with the rest, aft is better than the forward area. If you are hesitant to use bonine, patches or bands for your daughter, try ginger pills. Mythbusters, a TV show, did a segment on all the different seasickness remedies, and this worked just as well, or better, than any other pill, band, patch that is out there.

Archived