Am I worrying too much about the attire?

St.Love

[quote name='vincenzo0506']From Carnivals FAQ:

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and [B][COLOR=blue]slacks[/COLOR][/B]; dresses; skirts; pantsuit [B][SIZE=4]NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. [/SIZE][/B]

I do not believe that Jeans=Slacks, so it is specific. No jeans, slacks.

vincenzo:)[/quote]

The [SIZE=4][B]NOTE:[/B][/SIZE] is the only rule and even it is not always enforced. IF you contact Carnival directly, they will tell you jeans are fine.

[quote name='MrPete']Nor are sweats, petticoats or boxer shorts. You are supposed to draw a conclusion based on the examples listed. Some have a hard time with that, and jump right to the " well, it doesn't say I can't".

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

But the shorts issue aside, I can understand a fair amount of confusion about the dress standards in general, based on the different wordings on Carnival's website:

From "FAQs: Is there a Dress Code for the Dining Room?"
[quote]Depending on the length of the cruise, [B]either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room[/B]. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo (optional); suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit [B]Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks[/B]; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.
[/quote]

This could easily be interpreted to mean that even chinos/khakis are not acceptable, because I can't imagine that even the most liberal definition of "slacks" would include Dockers! Yet I've never heard even the hardliners argue that khakis are unacceptable for the dining room on non-Formal nights.

From "What Should I Pack?"
[quote]...You'll have a chance to dress up on two nights during 7 day or longer cruises (one night on shorter cruises) for the Captain's Cocktail Party and the Gala Farewell Dinner. [B]On the other evenings you can dress casually for dinner (no shorts or tank tops)[/B].

For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido Restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code. Formal Wear: tuxedo; suit and tie; sport coat, tie and slacks; evening gown; cocktail dress; pantsuit Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit; Capri pants NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts, tank tops and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner. [/quote]

It's odd that in the last sentence of the first paragraph they mention only shorts and tank tops as forbidden. Then in the second paragraph, they explicitly forbid only shorts, tanks and swimwear. Why is that? Jeans are probably the most ubiquitous article of clothing in the history of clothing. It's hard to believe that they wouldn't specifically mention them if they found them unacceptable.

I personally wouldn't wear jeans, but just looking at Carnival's statements objectively, I can certainly understand why someone who does wear them wouldn't have any reason to think they can't, so it's hard for me to understand the posters who santimoniously go on about passengers with "no class" and "disrepect for Carnival", etc. :o

[quote name='MrPete']Nor are sweats, petticoats or boxer shorts. You are supposed to draw a conclusion based on the examples listed. Some have a hard time with that, and jump right to the " well, it doesn't say I can't".

:rolleyes:[/quote]

[COLOR=purple][B]MrPete - You left out the Santa Suit... :D [/B][/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=purple]I am sure that some after reading what a controversy this is will wear them now just to prove a point and be able to say "I wore them and no one said I couldn't." :rolleyes: [/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=#800080][/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=purple]I would personally feel very uncomfortable in that nice dining room wearing blue jeans but some obviously do not.[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=purple]I have never felt the need to tip a Maitre'd but if I were to see them actually turn someone away due to improper dress I would definately do so with a note of explanation and a thank you. [/COLOR][/B]

[quote name='Leo Jay']Carnival's website:

From "FAQs: Is there a Dress Code for the Dining Room?"

This could easily be interpreted to mean that even chinos/khakis are not acceptable, because I can't imagine that even the most liberal definition of "slacks" would include Dockers! Yet I've never heard even the hardliners argue that khakis are unacceptable for the dining room on non-Formal nights.

From "What Should I Pack?"

It's odd that in the last sentence of the first paragraph they mention only shorts and tank tops as forbidden. Then in the second paragraph, they explicitly forbid only shorts, tanks and swimwear. Why is that? Jeans are probably the most ubiquitous article of clothing in the history of clothing. It's hard to believe that they wouldn't specifically mention them if they found them unacceptable.

I personally wouldn't wear jeans, but just looking at Carnival's statements objectively, I can certainly understand why someone who does wear them wouldn't have any reason to think they can't, so it's hard for me to understand the posters who santimoniously go on about passengers with "no class" and "disrepect for Carnival", etc. :o[/quote]

Can't be explained any clearer then that. Good Job!

First, let me start out by saying that I love to dress up. I was very similar to many of you on my first cruise. I have learned a lot since then. I actually find it is easier to pack less if you dress up. For example, on my cruise for December, I have packed several sundresses that I could easily wear over my bathing suit and with flip flops during the day. Then, magically, the same dress turns into dinning room attire by adding a pair of strappy heels and jewelry. Since I have started this, I pack so much lighter. I am happy because I don't have a million things that I did not wear and my DH is happy because he doesn't have to carry it all!

My husband wore short sleeved button down (no tie) and khaki slacks. I work black slacks and a simple back top with sequin emblishments. I pulled my hair up and put on some pretty earrings. We were dressed as nicely as anyone.

Hope this helps. By the way - the buffet is wonderful and if you don't want

to even dress in slacks to go into the dining room you will not miss out on delicious food. Just the atmosphere.

From Carnivals FAQ:

Casual Resort Wear: sport shirts and slacks; dresses; skirts; pantsuit NOTE: Shorts, t-shirts and bathing attire are not permitted in the Dining Room during dinner.

I do not believe that Jeans=Slacks, so it is specific. No jeans, slacks.

vincenzo:)

Vincenzo! You've joined the Clothing Police! :D

Archived