OT. Danno - North Bay was on the front page!

Jings

The main piece in our motoring section on Friday was a test drive the length of Yonge Street in a VW Touareg. It was illustrated with a map and a big pic of an archway with the legend "The Gateway to the North - The City of North Bay".

There is no hiding now - we know where you live!

I leaned againest that stone archway to tie my shoe just a couple of days ago!! It's actually been relocated to our beautiful waterfront area....c'mon over we'll give you a tour!!

Jings....it's going to be 30C here today. You might want to wait a month or two :D .

If you could provide me with a link to that story, if possible, I would be very interested. I don't think our city fathers are aware this happened...at elast I haven't seen it in our press.

I'll have to check but I think it reads "Gateway of the North"...I think.

Danno

30C seems about right after the summer we are having!

Don't tempt me especially if that golf course is as stunning as you said previously. (Off to The Open at Royal Troon on Saturday).

You are right it is "Gateway of the North". I was doing it from memory.

Here is the link http://www.scotsman.com.

We are having problems with the site today so I have emailed the page to you in case you cannot access the site.

Gordon

Thanks...the link worked fine but I can't find the article...I'll wait for the email :D .

The golf course I belong to is nothing special...6800 yards cut into a Canadian sheild maple bush on the lip of an escarpment overlooking a beautiful lake. A 5 year old clubhouse with a huge deck that allows views of 4 beautiful holes...really, nothing special ;) .

By the way, it's a private club, it makes money each year, and it cost less that $2000 per year!! Eat your heart out Toronto :D !!

$2000 a year!

Man, that's expensive!

My club, Prestonfield, is set in the lea of an extinct volcano in the centre of the city with views to the sea. We built a new clubhouse last year at a cost of around £1m. It it being paid for by a £50 levy on each member for the next 25 years. This brought the 2004 fees up to £585 (less than US$1000) and you should have heard the complaints at the agm!

Jings, it's not so bad. Danno is quoting Canadian dollars, I think. I haven't played Prestonfield. I have a friend who lives on George IV bridge. He is a member at Dalmahoy. My favourite that I have played with him is Gullane. We played Gullane 2. Loved it!

I get very jealous when I hear what you pay in Scotland!! I play at a fairly standard course (but well thought of in the area I live) and that is £900 a year.

Phil

Gordon...got it!! thanks so much. I forwarded it to our community newspaper. I don't think they had a clue it existed...they seemed delighted to get it.

O/T...private golf clubs. In the Toronto area it is not unusual to pay a $25000+ initiation fee and $3000-5000 per year after that. I actually haven't been able to play in over 4 years because of a neck problem, but that seems to be sorting itself out so I'm optimistic about next summer. The weight I have lost seems to be solving my neck problem...maybe my head was too fat :eek:!!

Danno

That is a lot to pay, especially if you aren't able to take advantage enough. I know from experience. There are a few clubs around here that have similar joining fees and annual subs. Some of the courses are really tough too. I much prefer the gentler course that I can at least do myself justice on as a 16 handicapper. Give me a nice leasurely round with some good company any day!

Phil

Archived