1st time in balcony - just a few questions

We will be in our first balcony during our Feb. cruise. We've cruised 11 times and finally got one. (Thanks DD). I have a few questions, they probably sound really dumb, but I would love the answer anyway. :) What's the deal with the refrigerator magnets to "fool" the A/C?? What size bungee cord do we bring, yes, they do come in many different lengths...and what do we bungee it to, other than the door? Also, can we ask for more chairs for the balcony so DD and DSIL can join us? I'll probably come up with some more questions, but that's it for now. We will be on the Lido deck.

We will be in our first balcony during our Feb. cruise. We've cruised 11 times and finally got one. (Thanks DD). I have a few questions, they probably sound really dumb, but I would love the answer anyway. :) What's the deal with the refrigerator magnets to "fool" the A/C?? What size bungee cord do we bring, yes, they do come in many different lengths...and what do we bungee it to, other than the door? Also, can we ask for more chairs for the balcony so DD and DSIL can join us? I'll probably come up with some more questions, but that's it for now. We will be on the Lido deck.

Last week while onboard the Pride I looked for a sensor on the balcony door and could not find one, besides the A/C isn't strong, once you open that door the cabin will get hot fast, even with the A/C running.

As for Bungee Cords I never use them because I like to keep my cabin cool so I keep the balcony door closed and open it quickly to go in or out.

Fred

What ship will you be on?

Can't answer your question about the magnet (never used one) and dh brought the bungee cord (don't know what size) As for the extra chairs unless you have wrap around balcony, you won't be able to fit more then the 2 that are already there.

We brought a bungee on Legend with us, but couldn't figure out how to use it, then discovered we didn't need it.

0902060729fp9.th.jpg

We couldn't see any sensor, but found (to our dismay, really), that the A/C stayed on even with the door open.

I can't see why you would want to keep the balcony door open. It lets all the A/C out but, if you do tie the door open remember not to open the cabin door. It'll suck all the Fun Ship Specials out of your balcony door plus any loose things you have laying around the cabin. Just a thought. Have a great cruise!!

I can't see why you would want to keep the balcony door open. It lets all the A/C out but, if you do tie the door open remember not to open the cabin door. It'll suck all the Fun Ship Specials out of your balcony door plus any loose things you have laying around the cabin. Just a thought. Have a great cruise!!

Ocean breezes at night were our main reason for keeping the door open. Additionally if your wife goes out to get ice cream on the Lido Deck & the door is closed while you're on the balcony, you can't hear her pounding on the door & screaming in the hallway. :eek:

We tried keeping the balcony door opened and it created a lot of condensation in the cabin. Everything got damp.

We now keep the door closed since the room cools down really fast when the door is opened. I'd rather have a cool cabin then listen to the waters.

Additionally if your wife goes out to get ice cream on the Lido Deck & the door is closed while you're on the balcony, you can't hear her pounding on the door & screaming in the hallway. :eek:

Oh that was your wife LOL.

But so true. Now I never leave without my key!

Is the door "jam" something that's new on ships, as shown in the picture above, or is there another reason to bring the bunge cord for the door? Maybe to just keep it open a little, instead of completely open??

It's just a rod. Actually, it's an spare hanging rod from the closet. It was convenient for us to keep the door open because GF spent a lot of time out there and I was back and forth a lot.

No kidding! Don't leave ANY loose papers lying around. Once I opened the cabin door while my GF was on the balcony with the door open and I almost watched my birth certificate go flying out to sea! :eek: :D

If your balcony door is open, do NOT open your cabin door. You'll learn the true definition of wind tunnel.

NO Kidding!!!

One cruise... we accidentally did this. Well, somehow, the wind caught the closet door.... and swung it so hard.. it fell off the hinges!! It was the scarriest thing!

Be careful!

(BUt having that door open, listening to the ocean waves... feeling the breeze... ah.. heaven!)

Catrin

It's always so humid in the caribbean, I can't understand why anyone would want to prop the door open. :confused: If the AC continues to run and it becomes damp in the room I have a mental picture of that skit Woody Allen did years ago....how the steam from the shower met the cold front in the hallway...and it RAINED IN THE LIVING ROOM!:rolleyes:

I was on the Conquest week of Sept 10th. I took bunge cords but did not use them as the balcony door stayed open by itself. Like a previous poster said its hot and humid in the Western Caribbean so you don't need to leave to balcony door open. It was plenty cold in the room.

Robb

aka NORM

MrPete - "As for trying to keep the A/C on, that's like going camping with a plug in air conditioner. "

Infact we camp every weekend and yes, we have the air conditioner on, fridge and freezer running, both t.v.'s turned on, bubbles for the bubble bath, lounge chairs on the deck, big comfy comforter for our queen sized bed, and glass cleaner for our sliding glass door. :) :)

MrPete - "As for trying to keep the A/C on, that's like going camping with a plug in air conditioner. "

Infact we camp every weekend and yes, we have the air conditioner on, fridge and freezer running, both t.v.'s turned on, bubbles for the bubble bath, lounge chairs on the deck, big comfy comforter for our queen sized bed, and glass cleaner for our sliding glass door. :) :)

I hate camping ~~ but maybe your way would be better:D

Oh well I think I'll stick to cruising:) :cool:

Payd

We had our balcony door open on the Victory last year and didn't realize that a bird had flown into the room. It scared us when we look on the vanity and her was a bird. Then it started flying around the room.:p :p

Do yourself a favor - just keep the door closed.

Archived