car rental vs ncl tours

sinclair

We will be sailing on Pride of Hawaii in March 07. We are going to Hilo, Kona, Maui and Kau'ai.

We are planning on renting a car on some of the islands and taking ncl tours on others. Presuming that we want to see the major sights on each island, which would be the recommended islands to rent in terms of ease and least amount of driving time?

On which islands would the driving be more difficult and the driving times longer?

We rented a car in Hilo and Maui. It wasn't difficult driving on these two islands. The longest drive for Hilo was to Volcanoes National Park (VNP). It took about an hour to get there. If you want to do the Chain of Craters Road at VNP, you will have to drive on your own because the bus tours only take you on Crater Rim Drive. That's the reason why we rented a car in Hilo.

For Maui, the longest drive was Haleakala Crater, but it wasn't difficult getting there. But there were a lot of winding roads leading up to the top of Haleakala Crater. We rented a car here beause there were just so many things we wanted to do and two tours wouldn't cover them. With a car, we were able to go to Iao Valley, Maui Tropical Plantation, Lahaina, ziplining at Haleakala Crater, and Haleakala Crater.

As for Kauai, we chose not to rent a car because we reserved a helicopter tour on our own and then wanted to do shopping, which there were numerous shuttles for. Since the ship was leaving at 2pm on the second day, we just took the Waimea Canyon tour through NCL.

For Kona, we just did excursions through NCL because half of our group wanted to one thing and the other half wanted to do another thing, so I can't tell you about the difficulty of driving to major sites in Kona.

I would say the only 'difficult' drive is the Road to Hana, and that is really not bad, just tiring. I would rent a car in EVERY port, and that way you have the flexibilty of going where you would like, spending as much time there as you want, and going to other places that tours just don't go to. An example, I love to take pictures of flowers. We had a car in every port, and where ever I saw a flower that was 'new' to me, I was able to stop, take a picture and just go on. when we were in Hilo, and driving along the road, there was a peacock strutting right there along the road. We did a U-turn and went back a bit and got a couple of great pictures of him/her.

I love to drive so doing that is second nature to me. We like to tour at our own pace so we would never be satisfied on a tour. We saw what we were able to see, brought the car back and loved every minute of it.

We will be sailing on Pride of Hawaii in March 07. We are going to Hilo, Kona, Maui and Kau'ai.

We are planning on renting a car on some of the islands and taking ncl tours on others. Presuming that we want to see the major sights on each island, which would be the recommended islands to rent in terms of ease and least amount of driving time?

On which islands would the driving be more difficult and the driving times longer?

There are so many things to see and do on each island that you will need to choose those that are most important to you. Otherwise, you'll be rushing around trying to cram it all in and that is just not possible. Make sure to leave yourself some relaxation time or your memories of Hawaii may be that you were on the go all the time with no time to just hang loose.

Driving in the islands is not difficult and renting a car is our preference. The Revealed series (that's the Wizard Publications books) is excellent.

beachchick

I would say the only 'difficult' drive is the Road to Hana, and that is really not bad, just tiring. I would rent a car in EVERY port, and that way you have the flexibilty of going where you would like, spending as much time there as you want, and going to other places that tours just don't go to. An example, I love to take pictures of flowers. We had a car in every port, and where ever I saw a flower that was 'new' to me, I was able to stop, take a picture and just go on. when we were in Hilo, and driving along the road, there was a peacock strutting right there along the road. We did a U-turn and went back a bit and got a couple of great pictures of him/her.

I love to drive so doing that is second nature to me. We like to tour at our own pace so we would never be satisfied on a tour. We saw what we were able to see, brought the car back and loved every minute of it.

The male peacocks are the show offs with all the fancy feathers. The poor little hens are really plain little birds.

I highly recommend renting a car.

However, we did see some folks that looked miserable trying to navigate many of the roads/one lane bridges.

We also saw miserable young looking husbands who would rather have driven to the sights, being herded onto busses full of old people. (we'll never forget the shocked look on one man's face when he asked us and found out it cost a quarter of his excursion fee to rent a jeep for 24 hours!) Alot of people just sat on the busses at several of the stops because they didn't want to walk and were content to just look out the windows etc. I always wondered if the few that did get off the bus felt a little rushed so as not to keep the others waiting.

If you don't like to drive in unfamiliar territory I'd skip it. Just bear in mind you will be at the mercy of the bus.

But keep in mind Hawaii is in America. For the most part all the same rules of the road apply.

We found out that a compass is great to have as you get real confused quickly. (a jeep we rented had a little digital read out on the rear view mirror in came in real handy.)

Either way. The BEST advice is don't cram to much stuff in your plans. Leave spaces to do nothing.

Thanks for all the advice.

I will be doing all the driving but and don't want to drive any long ,tiring distances. I like to look around at the scenery too.

It sounds like a combination of rental and ncl tours might be a good idea. Perhaps rent a car in Hilo for Volcanoes National Park and take a ncl tour on road to Hana?

We are considering renting a car instead of doing the excursions also. Well, once we decide if we're doing the cruise to begin with! :) (I say YES!)

Anyway, if we were to rent a car on Maui or Kauai where it's two days in port, would you keep the car overnight? If so, where would you park it? Or would you do two separate one day rentals?

Thanks!

rhays01

rhays01: Well, I definitely would not do 2 one-day rentals each on Maui and Kauai. (I assume you mean rent for both days at each port, but return the rental car the evening of day 1 and pick up a second car for day 2. Is that correct?) It will save you money and time to do 2-day rentals. There are places to park rental cars at both ports. Do an advanced search for "pier parking" with the name of each island, or just scroll back a few pages. This has been discussed a few times in the past few weeks.

On Kauai, we are doing a rental that encompasses only a 24 hour (1 day) period because the ship leaves so early on day 2 (for the Na Pali coast cruising). We're picking it up about noon on day 1 and returning it at noon on day 2. This works for us to give us the feeling of 2 days, while only paying for 1. OTOH, we visit Hawaii every year or two and don't feel the need to pick up the car the minute the ship docks. Nothing wrong with doing that if you've never been and want to have more time to explore; we simply don't need to do that.

Renting a car is definitely the way to go, IMO.

Hope this helps you decide.

beachchick

I would say I am influenced by the kind people here to rent a car when we do our cruise. May I ask to those who have any knowledge about our condition, We are foreigners that have valid driver's license that could be used internationally. I have driving experience in America, particularly in Florida and California. What's bothering me is the cost of insurance, life and car. As far as I remember, in Orlando, it cost us more than the cost of the car. Would you know if this is the same in Hawaii? We would really love to rent a car and enjoy our own time and phase.

Hope you can help.

Cheers!

SQUAREROOT: Aloha and welcome. I'm afraid I can't help you with any definite information. I imagine that the car rental companies are going to have fairly consistent policies. They may have a requirement for non-US drivers to buy their insurance and extra coverage, but I'm not sure. Does your auto insurance cover you in the US? If it does and you can provide confirmation, then you may not have to purchase extra through the rental company. If not, then I'm afraid you're going to have to pay all the extra insurance costs. IMO, it would still be worth it to have the freedom to do what you choose.

beachchick

The other option is checking on your credit card. A lot of credit cards here in the States include car rental insurance if the car rental is booked and paid for on the credit card - other countries' credit cards may have this coverage as well.

Spleen

Sorry guys, 20mins has laps so I have to do another post.

Question: If renting a car, what's best to do when returning, pre-paid fuel or have the tank refilled on our own? What's your own experience?

Thanks in advance again. :P

Hey,

It is always cheaper to refill the car yourself.

Remember if you use your own insurance you would have to pay the detuctable, if you have one you own insurance. Some insurance companies have a limit on the cost of a rental car to be replaced ( worst case senario). Also make sure you are covered for fire, theft, collision amd lialbility.

You have to think of everything.

C. :)

Ok, here I am again to ask questions from you....

1.) To those who have experience renting a car, what is your ideal return time? Say in Hilo, the ship departs at 6PM, what would be the advisable time to return the car and have enough time to be back to the ship?

2.) When reserving for a rental, they require specific time of pick-up, what is the best time to pick up a car? As early as possible? Say in Hilo again, if arrival time of the ship is 8AM, how fast can we go out of the ship, ride the shuttle and be at the office of the rental company?

I apologize if this is considered an OT (off topic).

Again, thank you.....

Archived