Baby is 6 Months Old

LovesCruising

When we booked our family cruise RCCL policy was in cabin babysitting at 6 months. That has since been changed to 12 months.

We are a little concerned as we did book late seating dinner - which would normally be his bed time.

Has anyone had any luck getting a sitter in cabin for a child under 12 months recently and if so how did you go about doing it. We were thinking of just going to guest relations and inquiring if someone would be willing to sit for a child as young as ours.

The other possibility we thought of was just asking around ourselves however we do not want to get any of the staff in trouble.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Cheryl

I think they are really strict about this. On our last cruise on the Brilliance we met a couple who had a 9 month old, and were furious because they also had been told by RCI prior to the cruise the babysitting was 6 months old. RCI would not budge even though they tried everything.

Hi - we will be traveling this year with our 7 year old son and byt he time of travel our 7 month old daughter.

I know about the 12 month old babysitting rule. We are going away on the Explorer of the Seas and when we booked we were told the same thing. and then............ the rule changed. Well I think they are going to be super strick about this and I called Crown and Anchor to check and see if there was anything else we can do. but they pretty much said it is a liability for the cruise line with an infant that young. We also have a late seating for dinner. So we are going to keep the late seating - it just works better for us - and at worse I'm thinking our daughter can sleep in the coach if she gets tired. We did see this last year when we traveled( I was pregnant!) and I thought about traveling with a baby and we asked a couple who had a 9month old at the formal dining room for dinner and we asked how they were making out-- they took her everywhere they went and parked her in the coach at dinner if she was sleeping, took her to the shows etc...

So good luck I am sorry I can't offer better advice. My husband also raised the idea of asking a staff member privately like one of the Adventure Ocean counselors -- I am now a little freaked to do that, just because it's behind RCCL's back. And at this point I figure there is a reason they changed the rule so we will have to make the best of it. At least I know she's with us and nobody thew her overboard because she was crying or something!

Now a question for you..... Do you know what kind of baby equipment you are bringing and are you bringing formula??? I am just thinking I pack alot to begin with I can't imagine what the baby's suitcase is going to look like when I have to get everything I layed out into the suitcase! thanks for any advice you can offer me! and Happy Cruising!

Hello SoccerMom - I don't know how much help I will be to you, I am the Grandma and a new one at that.

We are on Adventure of the Seas Oct 22 and I have to agree I am a little nervous about trying to get a sitter "illegally" -

I told my daughter is worse came to worse we would try to switch over to early seating.

We are planning on eating in port (Aruba) one nite as my daughter has a dear friend who lives there so we will be spending the evening out.

We also offered her and my SIL a nite to sit while they go to the specialty restaurant.

Anyway, as far as formula goes, my daughter normally mixes the powder however on this trip she is considering the ready mix. there is a cite called Travellite.com I believe where you can order for delivery. I do believe she is using that for the formual and we are goning to take the babyfood diapers etc ourselves and divide whatever won't fit in the babys suit case into ours. We are flying first class so I do believe we get to bring an extra piece of luggage which will help.

This is going to be the first time we travel with the baby so I pray it goes well and my daughter will want to do it again.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. Cheryl

I cruised RCL Grandeur of the seas with my then 7month old in May. When we booked were told in cabin sitting for 6 months and up (I made sure) then surprise surprise I get on-board, go to the pursers desk to put in the request and they were very strict about it, their computer that puts out the requests for the sitter will not even take the information if the birthdate is not more than a year old (rules changed) NO EXCEPTIONS, so we were stuck! It actually worked out great though we had late seating and would do her bedtime routine, bath, book bottle and put her in the stroller reclined with the rayshade canopy extender covering the front. She slept right through every dinner and never once made a peep!!!!!

We brought DD powdered formula, diapers, disposable bibs, jarred baby food and cereal with disposable bowls and spoons. We used the highchairs on the deck (ask any waiter/bar person, they will find one for you). I packed everything in the large cardboard diaper box taped up and labeled since I figured most of it would be used on board. We mixed the formula using the ships water. Dont worry, its highly filtered. Call the cruise lines they will tell you their on board water meets high standards. We just filled the bottles using the deck self serve water or at any bar and bought bottled water in ports.

We packed her clothes/few toys in our luggage. They provide a pack in play (no sheets though, so bring your own). Its a standard graco one. We also brought a trial size dish soap and bottle brush to wash the bottles in the cabin. We brought a blow up pool for her (GREAT) it also served as an enclosed play area we would just set her down on it next to the table on deck with some toys.

Our DD had a great time at just turning 7 months. We did the aqua babies playgroup everyday and there were about 4-5 other cruisers with infants as well.

Have a great time. We are cruising again with her in a few weeks. She is one year now and all over the place.

Archived