Altun Ha & Belize City tour. Done it? Got pics? Opinions?

scgalloways

Has anyone taken this tour? We are sailing Carnival Glory in November and we are paying for ourselves and 4 kids so excursions get pricey. We've been told Belize is the only place it's safer to do a tour than venture on your own, for that reason our choices are limited to Beach Break at 45.00 pp or Altun Ha at 49.00 pp. Kids are 22 months (at time of travel), 13, 15, 17. Are either of these worth the 300.00 total to do them or might we have as good a time enjoying the ship while everyone is away? If anyone has pics let me know please. Also, we've done Mayan ruins previously in Cozumel. If Altun Ha is not that great then we'll like do ruins in Costa Maya at Chacchoben and just stay onboard in Belize.

thanks

Lynn and Rob

• 2 weeks later...

We did the Belize City & Altun Ha tour while on Royal Caribbean in Nov 04. Loved the ruins mainly because we had graduate archaeology students as tour guides on our bus - wonderful. Others in our group who were on the bus behind us were not so fortunate. Belize City was not ready for tourism and so we were disappointed with that portion of the tour. I do not recall the tour company name, nor that of our guides, but arranged it though the ship. I'd reconsider doing this tour if I and children. We spent alot to time on the bus riding around, other than visiting the ruins. Can't find my pics - that's what I get for not putting them in an album right away. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Lynn & Bob, my husband and I did the Altun Ha excursion in February 05 while on RC cruise. We had never seen the ruins, so we were very impressed with the sights as well as our tour guide who was an archaeology student and he was very passionate about the ruins. The bus ride is long, but very comfortable and we enjoyed listening to our tour guide joke with us along the way. I think it would be fine with your children. We saw several strollers and baby back packs at the ruins. So it is doable. We do have a couple of pics if interested. Enjoy!

Archived