Snuba or Beginning Scuba

sledman

A group of about 4-5 would like to try either the snuba or scuba. None of us are certified so it would be the beginning scuba. The disadvantage I can see of the scuba is the instruction time. Is the instruction time for the snuba as long? Have any of you tried both before and if so what would you recomend. If we scuba we are looking at Eagleray Divers, if we snuba we have heard about Mayan Paradise Tours. Does anyone have any experience with either of these people, or have others you could recomend.

Thank you.

Shane

Snuba is a great way to get introduced to scuba. You don't have to spend a lot of time with instruction, etc, but you will be able to determine if you want to invest the time and get certified once you've seen how beautiful everything is at 20feet.

Mayan Paradise Tours offers the only boat-based snuba in Coz. You can also snuba at Chankanaab and a couple of other places. Check out the snuba.com website for a complete listing.

I've never used Eagle Ray but I've heard great things about them. I'm sure you'll have a great time with whichever option you choose!

I've never done snuba, so I can't comment on which would be better. I have done the Discover Scuba program, though, and afterward just couldn't get enough of diving. We wound up spending the rest of our vacation in Cozumel taking the PADI Open Water course (through Eagle Ray Divers) and got certified.

So, here's how Discover Scuba goes. You spend about a half hour or so in a sort of "classroom" environment. Better than a classroom, though, since you're in Cozumel and, if you're like us, sitting under a palapa. Anyway, the instructor goes through a flip chart and explains the very basic basics of diving -- pressure at different levels, how to clear your ears, how to breathe through the regulator, etc. Then, you get on the boat or go to the beach and go to shallow water (knee deep) and you practiced the skills that you just talked about. Then you start a shallow dive. It's that easy. If you like it and do well you can opt to get another tank and do a little bit deeper dive.

ERD is great! They really make you feel at ease and give you the confidence you need to know that you can do it!

Whatever you decide, enjoy the underwater world!

• 2 weeks later...

With snuba do ya have to clear your ears, just like ya do with scuba? I tried to get certified the same time my kids did, but couldn't get past clearing my ears. I know that sounds dumb, but it really hurts :( Should I stick to snorkling?

Thanks,

Gayle

Grand Princess

7 days 4 Dec 2004

The "ear thing" is caused by pressure at greater depths. I've been snorkeling before and when "free diving" down to about 10 feet or better I can feel the pressure and have to clear my ears. I don't know how deep you go with SNUBA but my guess is that you will need to clear or "pop" your ears.

A couple of different techniques:

1.) Hold your nose and blow

2.) Without opening your mouth, open and close the inside of your mouth (like you're chewing a huge wad of gum)

3.) Wiggle your jaw back and forth

4.) Rub the tender area just under your ear and near the jawbone

Number 4 is always my last resort. I'm a certified diver and always have a terrible time clearing my right ear. I usually have to go back up a few feet and clear and descend very slowly. Bummer! But it will eventually clear.

Do you have a problem in planes and in the mountains, too? If so, then you may just be one of those people that have a difficult time with pressure.

My wife and I took a cruise in early June and our favorite excursion, by far, was Snuba Diving in Cozumel. We went with Mayan Paradise Tours (http://www.snubacozumel.com/about.html) and I would highly recommend them. The crew is outstanding and provide free drinks, chips, fresh fruit and laughter. You get to snorkel at two reefs and snuba at one. Each dive is about 20-30 minutes and the water is crystal clear. The crew of about 6 or so does an outstanding job of teaching you how to descend and equilize the pressure. They do a great job of making sure you feel comfortable before you go down. The water warm and clear. We saw tons of fish, including large parrot fish, sea urchins, eels, etc. It's a great way to spend half the day!

Shane,

As a certified diver I would pick the discover scuba "because" it offers more training time prior to getting in the water. Plus it will be a true diving experience to decide if the sport is for you and you may want to get certified. Be advised that whichever you choose listen carefully to all the training and warnings the instructor gives you. Breathing compressed air at depth can result in your death if you panic and bolt for the surface while holding your breath. I'm not a big fan of these tourist "excursions" that allow people to dive at all without a full certification course. It is a great experience and I love to dive, but it comes with certain risks and you should have all the proper training and fully understand all the potential risks before you go diving. I'm not sure everyone who participates in these "tours" fully understands.

Off my soapbox

Rich

Archived