?? about bringing back liquor

Sandi149

Here is the Harmonized Tariff Schedule. Chapter 22 relates to liquor. On Page 13, for example, the duty quoted for whiskies (Scotch, Irish, bourbon, et al) is $1.99 or $2.04 per proof liter (a liter of alchol at 100 proof, or 50% abv) after the first, duty-free liter:

http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/index.htm

In other words, less than $2 for most bottles, though excise taxes can also apply (but are seldom bothered with).

I bought back 8 bottles of liquor. I declared them on my customs form. The customs person looked at the form and said have a good day. I think as long as you don't bring back a huge quanity that you will be okay. Just don't lie of the customs form what ever you do.

We usually buy a couple more than allowed (it depends on the ports you are leaving and going to on how much is allowed), and customs just waves us on when we leave the ship (

If you buy any while in port, they take it from you when you get back on the ship, and give it back to you the last night. Same if you buy it on board (great prices there also).

Have a great cruise!!

Most we ever brought back was 15 bottles. (For friends, REALLY!!) No duty at all. Usually come back with 10 or so. Never a duty. Declare it on the forms. Sometimes there is a customs official who comes on board prior to disembarkation, see him first - this will be announced for those who are over the limit. He will determine the duty & stamp the form for you. Other times it is all done after disembarkation. Be sure to write down on a separate piece of paper what you have (two bottles Kahlua, one bottle Bob's Rum etc) and where you bought it. Some ports are duty exempt and some liquors have higher duties than others. According ot one customs official we met, rum for instance is a higher duty item than say vodka. If the duty is less than $10 they will waive it. Sort of like only being ten miles over the speed limit does not warrant a ticket I guess.

...If you buy any while in port, they take it from you when you get back on the ship, and give it back to you the last night. Same if you buy it on board (great prices there also)...

True enough -- but we've found that if you reboard with a crowd and aren't obviously carrying a case of Jim Beam over your shoulder (like, say, a bottle or two in with your personal gear), nobody's going to stop you if you just head for the elevator/stairs.

There are generally only the bare-minimum number of crew to process reboarding. If you don't go to the check-in table and surrender your unseen liquor, and they're busy with others, they aren't going to stop what they're doing to stop you.

heck! only 2 dollars per bottle! Is there a limit? I heard top shelf liquors are crazy cheap in Mexico:rolleyes: Anyone else declare or smuggle booze back in? Do you walk right on the ship with it or do you declare it at that time?

Declare it. Chances are they won't charge you the duty, but if you DON'T declare it, you could be in trouble. As for the limit, you are limited to what you can carry and pack... if you are flying, remember it all has to go into your checked baggage...so there is a weight limit to consider there. You declare it at the end of the cruise on your customs form... your liquor will be delivered to your cabin the last night of the cruise.

We've bought several bottles on each cruise and declared it. Never had to pay duty.

Ditto!

We brought back over the amount and declared it and the customs guy said thanks have great day. I think they are too busy to fool with a few extra bottles of alcohol.

I will declare my booze and buy more than I thought I could because it's so much cheaper overseas. Now let me understand somethings I've read....I can sneak booze on the ship after an excursion and still declare it when I return and might not have to pay duty.....or....declare it immediatley and have it returned to me at the end of the cruise, but....will I then (automatically) be charged duty?:confused:

How about cigarettes? Is that US Customs too or is that just NY state? The cartons are really cheap on the ship and I would like to bring back about 10 of them.

Cigarettes are a bit more complicated because a distinction is drawn between previously exported cigarettes and foriegn made cigarettes. You can bring back 200 cigarettes. If you bring back more than 200 all made in America the overage is supposed to be confiscated. If you bring 200 made in America and more made overseas you are liable for duty on the foriegn cigarettes but you are able to bring them in. These are all per-person.

Neither my wife or I smoke but family members are allways asking us to bring back our duty free limit; one carton each.

You can read more here:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/paying_duty.xml

I will declare my booze and buy more than I thought I could because it's so much cheaper overseas. Now let me understand somethings I've read....I can sneak booze on the ship after an excursion and still declare it when I return and might not have to pay duty.....or....declare it immediatley and have it returned to me at the end of the cruise, but....will I then (automatically) be charged duty?:confused:

You are confusing the ship policy and customs regulations. The cruiseline has a rule prohibiting bringing booze for personal consumption onto the ship. When you reboard in a port you will be asked to check your booze in and it will be returned to you the last night. The cruiseline isn't interested in customs issues. You will still need to fill out a customs declaration for anything you bring off the ship whether you sneek it on or check it with the cruiseline.

I wouldn't mind paying the duty on the cigs but do you think if I brought back more than the amount allowed, they would confiscate them? I don't want to spend the money only to have them take them away from me. Has anyone ever brought back more and declared it or not declared it?

I wouldn't mind paying the duty on the cigs but do you think if I brought back more than the amount allowed, they would confiscate them? I don't want to spend the money only to have them take them away from me. Has anyone ever brought back more and declared it or not declared it?

This is Customs you are talking about... if you want to screw with them, hey... go for it :p Me personally? No thanks... I play by the books when it comes to Customs... I would never even THINK of not declaring something that they specifically say you must declare... and if they say they will confiscate, you better believe that they can, and will... perhaps not always, but they do. I've seen many people pulled to the side and searched. Not worth the hassle to me.

Of course I would declare the stuff, I don't want to get in trouble but what I'm saying is that will they let me pay the duty or will they confiscate it? I don't want to pay for something that will be taken away.

Here is a snippet from the link YST posted above in case you didn't see it, decide for yourself:

Tobacco Products

Travelers may import previously exported tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in exemptions for which the traveler qualifies. Any quantities of previously exported tobacco products not permitted by an exemption will be seized and destroyed. These items are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on carriers operating internationally, or in foreign stores. These items are usually marked “Tax Exempt. For Use Outside the United States,” or “U.S. Tax Exempt For Use Outside the United States.”

For example, a returning resident is eligible for the $800 exemption, which includes not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars:

• If the resident declares 400 previously exported cigarettes, the resident would be permitted 200 cigarettes, tax-free under the exemption and the remaining 200 previously exported cigarettes would be confiscated.
  • If the resident declares 400 cigarettes, of which 200 are previously exported and 200 not previously exported, the resident would be permitted to import the 200 previously exported cigarettes tax free uunder the exemption and the resident would be charged duty and tax on the remaining 200 foreign-made cigarettes.

The tobacco exemption is available to each adult. Except for information and informational materials, no traveler (whether traveling legally under an Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) license or traveling illegally without an OFAC license) may import Cuban-made goods, including Cuban cigars, unless authorized to do so by a specific license issued by OFAC.

Archived