How do y'all afford to cruise so often??

We are in our 30s, with no kids, and dual income.

We look at the different online travel agencies for cheaper fares and tend to book far in advance. This also allows us to put a deposit down, and then make payments along the way.

The member cruises tend to have good rates, will sometimes have a very cheap deposit, and may offer obc and wine, cocktail hour w/free drinks.

As for being on the ship, we don't have a huge bill. We both drink socially, but tend to skip it on the cruise. The last two we were lucky the first was a member cruise and we got a free bottle of champagne, this last one we got a free bottle of champagne because it was my fiance's 30th.

As for other drinks, I like lemonade and juices, fiance like iced tea. Both are free on Carnival, but for the Princess one I brought many to-go packs of lemonade, decaf iced tea, and hot chocolate. Went up to the buffet, got some water, and added it. You can always ask them for hot water for the hot chocolate, and they will get you some.

We book any excursions early, and with Carnival you will be charged for them the day you book them (Princess doesn't charge you until after the cruise). With the Carnival set-up we can take a look and book when we have the extra cash.

We don't use the Internet, spa, or get desserts that are an extra charge.

By doing this it leaves a very small bill at the end, and we were able to pay in installments to make it work.

My husband is 59 and retired. I will turn 53 on the Alaskan cruise we are leaving for tomorrow (my first Alaskan!), and am still working as an educator. We have a 22 year old daughter who has graduated from college and is now supporting herself. We have always live below our means, and made saving and investing a priority. We still managed to take yearly vacations, including 4 previous cruises with our daughter. But we tend to sweat the small stuff - buy store brands instead of name brands, always look for bargains, buy relatively inexpensive cars, etc. We both have had decent, professional jobs, but neither ever made 6 figure salaries. We still have managed to build up a very nice investiment portfolio, and I continue to work because I want to, not because I have to. We can now afford to cruise when we want, but continue tend to do it fairly cheaply - inside cabin, etc. I guess old habits die hard. One of these days I am going to spluge and book a balcony!

How do y'all afford to cruise so often?? {QUOTE..OP]

---------------------------------------------------------------

I will tell you how I do it. I stand my Hubbie up in the middle of the room , leaving lots of room all around. I then grasp him by his ankles, turn him up side down, and sqeeze and sqeeze for as long as it takes to get the last penny out off him.....then off I go and book another cruise. !! :D

Sorry OP....just could not resist !! ;)

Ok, I've seen everyone's posts listing all their past cruises and upcoming cruises. Most times, they're only weeks or 2-3 months apart. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??? There's no way I could afford that! My family and I generally take one big vacation a year in the summer, and maybe 2 short trips (2 or 3 days) in spring and fall. Does anyone vacation doing something else besides cruising, or is cruising the ONLY WAY to vacation to the majority on these boards? My husband and I are planning on a 7 day cruise on the Mariner in Nov. 2007, and I have to start planning and saving NOW! Anyone else out there in my shoes?

I have an idea! This will a type of social experiment. You need to promise to come back to this board after your cruise and tell us the following:

You need to tell us - How you able to plan your next cruise having just returned from vacation!!

I don't want to tell you what you are going to be doing BUT... in the first couple of days you will be overwhelmed. Somewhere near the end of your trip will be relaxing on-board the ship and you will have a serious conversation about how you can do this again and when you will do it... I would be willing to go as far as to say you will know where your next cruise will be before you even leave the ship. :eek:

I could afford to go on a cruise each year, but my husband also likes to take long camping vacations too. We have a pretty big 5th wheel we use so it's not really roughing it in any sense of the word. He likes to fly fish and be away from so many people (although it's not crowded here in Wyoming). We also have 2 daughters we take time out for as well.

He's already retired and I plan to in 5 years. I hope to take more cruises then. I can only take longer vacations in the fall with my work, so once I retire, my schedule should be wide open.

I doubt I will be able to take a cruise every 2 or 3 months tho!!

My husband is 59 and retired. I will turn 53 on the Alaskan cruise we are leaving for tomorrow (my first Alaskan!), and am still working as an educator. We have a 22 year old daughter who has graduated from college and is now supporting herself. We have always live below our means, and made saving and investing a priority. We still managed to take yearly vacations, including 4 previous cruises with our daughter. But we tend to sweat the small stuff - buy store brands instead of name brands, always look for bargains, buy relatively inexpensive cars, etc. We both have had decent, professional jobs, but neither ever made 6 figure salaries. We still have managed to build up a very nice investiment portfolio, and I continue to work because I want to, not because I have to. We can now afford to cruise when we want, but continue tend to do it fairly cheaply - inside cabin, etc. I guess old habits die hard. One of these days I am going to spluge and book a balcony!

If you were splurging on balcony, the Alaska cruise you are going to take would have been the one to do it. It is cool on the balcony in the evening but the scenery was beyond explanation. We did splurge on a balcony on the Infinity and have never reqretted it. Well worth the extra money for that particular cruise. I sometimes would go out on the balcony in the middle of the night just to watch the phosphoresence of the waves or to listen to the total silence of it all. I have not cruised enough to know how quiet other ships are, but the Infinity was extremely silent from my balcony. Am going on a Caribbean cruise this fall on the Fantasy and got an oceanview cabin. Cost of this cabin about 1/6th of my balcony cabin on Infinity (this cruise is only 5 days rather than the 7 days to Alaska). There are some cruises in our future where I will splurge for the balcony (Hawaii or Tahiti) but most likely will go for oceanviews on the others. I can't do inside cabins because I am somewhat clostrophobic. :eek:

I like others have already stated have the max taken out of DH pay check on taxes, so that each year we get a nice refund check. We did not start taking big family vacations until the twins were 6-now age 12! This summer was our first cruise, WE ARE HOOKED!

What I have always done is we do not spend pocket change!!! I have an animal cracker jar in the closet and everyday DH empties his pocket and I keep a coin purse in my purse and empty it out when it's full. WOW- how the change can add up. On rainy days when the boys are bored with nothing to do, I let them roll it up. We have managed to have week long vacations for the past 6 years!! I would be in the funny farm if it were not for a get a way. We do not use credit cards...if we can't pay for it we don't need it. I am a stay home mom and work to from home jobs to help out. We are not starving by any means but our priorty is in raising the boys. When you have the desire to eat out, skip and job the money in the change jar...I am in the process of booking two cruises for next summer. Book early and save $$$. One of the trips is a 7 day with just me and my best friend!!! It will be when the kids are in school so it is MUCH CHEAPER!!!

Be creative and you can do it....that's my motto....:o

First it must be said, we live out in the middle of nowhere (104 miles from Death Valley, CA) and we have to get out of here as much as possible!

DH at 44 is retired so we save half his check each month, last child is a senior in high school so we usually take her when we go BUT she pays for her own shore excursions and soveniers. I claim single on my paychecks and have the change jar.

Although all those things help, I think the BEST way to cruise repeatedly is to put your next deposit down on any cruise while you are still cruising. You can always change the cruise or the date with a phone call after you get home. Plus you can get extras like upgrades or OBC's. We always take and extra $500 for deposits.

What does anyone know about the carnival credit card where you build points??? We don't us credit cards but are going to building a house--subcontracting it out ourselves and it crossed my mind as to how many points it took to get free trip with points....????????????

I could get the credit card and use it for building the house and write checks weekly to pay it off,,,,if it would get me a free trip....wishful thinking is what i think but i don't know anything about it...

anyone know?????????

thanks.:confused: :confused: :confused:

If you were splurging on balcony, the Alaska cruise you are going to take would have been the one to do it. It is cool on the balcony in the evening but the scenery was beyond explanation. We did splurge on a balcony on the Infinity and have never reqretted it. Well worth the extra money for that particular cruise.

I agree completely. We have never been balcony fiends - in fact for our 10th anniversary cruise, on Summit, we are in the lowest possible inside category! - but we took my mom to Alaska a couple of months ago and we needed a bigger cabin, so we ended up with a balcony. I had been to Alaska once before and I knew my mom would just love the balcony. In the Caribbean I don't think it's such a big deal, mostly it's just water in every direction, but in Alaska there is something to see the WHOLE TIME. I highly recommend a balcony in Alaska, and if you need to save your pennies try for an unobstructed oceanview at the minimum. You won't regret it.

Have really enjoyed this thread and found so many wonderful ways of saving for your cruise...and then paying for it.

One of the main threads seems to be that you follow the boards for "specials" or cheap cruises. Pray tell how do you do that? I'd be more than happy to search for bargains every day (I'm retired so have the time...LOL) but where do I start?

I also have one quite serious question. I always thought that once one had booked a cruise that that was the agreed upon price but I see that many of you check to see whether the price goes down and then request a lower price. Am I wrong? How do you do that? Are you bound by your travel agent's price or can you look at competitive pricing?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'd really like the nitty gritty about finding cheaper rates, etc. It's the "how" you do it that I would appreciate finding out about.

As for us, DH & I are retired and book one long cruise a year in a lower deck ocean view cabin. DH has to see daylight every morning..on land or on sea.

We bring our own wine on board when we are allowed to (HAL is good about that), and have a glass before meals in our stateroom and do not order wine at meals. Plus we don't order any mixed drinks, do not play bingo or gamble, nor buy anything on board except postcards or maps.

We tend to study up about the places that are in our itinerary and plan our shore excursions as if we were locals. In other words, we take public transport when we can and use photocopied pages from guidebooks we've borrowed at our local library. Sometimes, whrn there is a lot to see, we will buy the guidebook. On the other hand, if there is something in particular we want to see we do not hesitate to try and set up a private excursion with someone else because that's the way to get the most bang for your buck. You get to set the schedule and itinerary, plus, you're not lost in a crowd.

If we definitely want to see something that is only offered by the cruise line, we will go for it. Taht's a last resort, but we will do it.

We eat o in restaurants where we see the locals eating if we are too far to get back to the ship for lunch or if we want to have the experience of eating local food.

During the year , as many of you do, we clip coupons. We don't change cars very often and have very few expensive hobbies. I love knitting and DH loves going to lectures at the local museum, library, university.... you get the picture.

I lalso enjoy cooking; my big expense on trips is bringing back a cook book either from the cruise line or for some foreign country. Then I try those recipes out. So we do not eat out in restaurants.

Also for Christmas, birthdays, etc. we have made it a family tradition to exchange handmade gifts. I make fine soaps for family and friends, and knit lots. For family, I provide the yarn. As for friends they provide the yarn and I provide the time and effort. Plus I rarely go to the hairdresser. My girlfriends and I have a funfest doing our hair and manicuring our nails. Also, we lend each other clothes on our holidays (shawls, purses, handbags, costume jewelry) so that way we don't have to go out and buy loads of stuff. There is always one of us who has gotten fatter or thinner, so there's always a sweater that fits someone.

We don't play video games; we each have a cell phone but haen't shared the number with anyone but the members of our family. We use it only to contact each other, if absolutely necessary. We use cheap phone plans. As for films, we get together with friends and rent videos, pop our own popcorn, make our own pizza. We do have a season membership to the symphony orchestra but in the cheapest seats. For entertainment, we follow the local festivals and have a ball. Yesterday we went to a concert by Vince Neil of Motley Crue fame. Last Thursday, we went to hear Gregg Rolie of Santana and finished off the evening with Pride Tiger. Randy Bachman was on last Friday. All that for $25.00 per person for a week and a half of concerts including the Tragically Hip and the Montreal Jubilation Choir.

Mind you, we are comfortable financially. We put our three children through college and university. They graduated without debt. Our home is paid for. Even if we live in Canada, we have and use air conditioning (DH had heart surgery and finds life much more comfortable with it). We have set up a college fund for our grandkids. But we don't believe in wasting money; we believe in spending it wisely for important things. Such as cruises.And, hopefully, more cruises.

So any additional info you can give us will help. Why, we make be able to take even more cruises.Thanks for all the info you will send our way. We will appreciate it and put it to good stead.

Have really enjoyed this thread and found so many wonderful ways of saving for your cruise...and then paying for it.

One of the main threads seems to be that you follow the boards for "specials" or cheap cruises. Pray tell how do you do that? I'd be more than happy to search for bargains every day (I'm retired so have the time...LOL) but where do I start?

I also have one quite serious question. I always thought that once one had booked a cruise that that was the agreed upon price but I see that many of you check to see whether the price goes down and then request a lower price. Am I wrong? How do you do that? Are you bound by your travel agent's price or can you look at competitive pricing?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I'd really like the nitty gritty about finding cheaper rates, etc. It's the "how" you do it that I would appreciate finding out about.

As for us, DH & I are retired and book one long cruise a year in a lower deck ocean view cabin. DH has to see daylight every morning..on land or on sea.

We bring our own wine on board when we are allowed to (HAL is good about that), and have a glass before meals in our stateroom and do not order wine at meals. Plus we don't order any mixed drinks, do not play bingo or gamble, nor buy anything on board except postcards or maps.

We tend to study up about the places that are in our itinerary and plan our shore excursions as if we were locals. In other words, we take public transport when we can and use photocopied pages from guidebooks we've borrowed at our local library. Sometimes, whrn there is a lot to see, we will buy the guidebook. On the other hand, if there is something in particular we want to see we do not hesitate to try and set up a private excursion with someone else because that's the way to get the most bang for your buck. You get to set the schedule and itinerary, plus, you're not lost in a crowd.

If we definitely want to see something that is only offered by the cruise line, we will go for it. Taht's a last resort, but we will do it.

We eat o in restaurants where we see the locals eating if we are too far to get back to the ship for lunch or if we want to have the experience of eating local food.

During the year , as many of you do, we clip coupons. We don't change cars very often and have very few expensive hobbies. I love knitting and DH loves going to lectures at the local museum, library, university.... you get the picture.

I lalso enjoy cooking; my big expense on trips is bringing back a cook book either from the cruise line or for some foreign country. Then I try those recipes out. So we do not eat out in restaurants.

Also for Christmas, birthdays, etc. we have made it a family tradition to exchange handmade gifts. I make fine soaps for family and friends, and knit lots. For family, I provide the yarn. As for friends they provide the yarn and I provide the time and effort. Plus I rarely go to the hairdresser. My girlfriends and I have a funfest doing our hair and manicuring our nails. Also, we lend each other clothes on our holidays (shawls, purses, handbags, costume jewelry) so that way we don't have to go out and buy loads of stuff. There is always one of us who has gotten fatter or thinner, so there's always a sweater that fits someone.

We don't play video games; we each have a cell phone but haen't shared the number with anyone but the members of our family. We use it only to contact each other, if absolutely necessary. We use cheap phone plans. As for films, we get together with friends and rent videos, pop our own popcorn, make our own pizza. We do have a season membership to the symphony orchestra but in the cheapest seats. For entertainment, we follow the local festivals and have a ball. Yesterday we went to a concert by Vince Neil of Motley Crue fame. Last Thursday, we went to hear Gregg Rolie of Santana and finished off the evening with Pride Tiger. Randy Bachman was on last Friday. All that for $25.00 per person for a week and a half of concerts including the Tragically Hip and the Montreal Jubilation Choir.

Mind you, we are comfortable financially. We put our three children through college and university. They graduated without debt. Our home is paid for. Even if we live in Canada, we have and use air conditioning (DH had heart surgery and finds life much more comfortable with it). We have set up a college fund for our grandkids. But we don't believe in wasting money; we believe in spending it wisely for important things. Such as cruises.And, hopefully, more cruises.

So any additional info you can give us will help. Why, we make be able to take even more cruises.Thanks for all the info you will send our way. We will appreciate it and put it to good stead.

As far as the cheap deals, many online TA have them...there are a ton of them out there so your best bet would be to google it. You can also sign-up for their email groups and learn about deals that way.

The lowering of the price...I've had this happen to me once. I just kept going back to see what the fares were, and when I saw the lower price I contacted the online TA (I tend to make sure I have an email address for them).

• 5 weeks later...

I took a lot of cruises in my 20's while I was single, working full time. I had all the money I made to spend on my self! Also, my job paid for 2 of my cruises for medical conferences. :D

Everyone's rushing to find "the One", get married and settle down and have kids. KIDS! What a huge responsibility. Slow down, take your time. There's plenty of time to do that in your 30's!!!!! (Just MY 2 cents)

DH and I have struggled for years raising our 2 children and vacations were not always on the agenda due to lack of funds.

Our children are now adults, Daughter has recently bought her own town home and son is in college. We are in our mid 40's and finally able to enjoy our hard earned money. So last year (June of 2006) friends introduced us to cruising and for our 23rd /friends 22 Anniversary we sailed Carnival Glory on a 7 night. Hubby is now addicted and January 2008 will be our 4th cruise. (taking our Mom's again with us)

Were not rich and unless we win the lottery will never be.. but like the other person posted you can't take it with you when you go and all you will have are your memories.. so my motto is make all your memories with the people you love and life will be complete

Happy sailing to all!!!

but yes it's legit. I won so it must be real. This is one you might want to check out http://www.pamperedpassions.com/sweepstakes.htm. Hopefully a lot of people haven't tapped into this one yet, but we'll find out soon if I'm chosen.

If I were you I would definitely save your pennies as a back up plan. I think there people out there that all they do is sign up for anything and everything they see.

I have to admit, our first cruise, and it was the most expensive vacation we have ever taken. However, my husband works for an airline, we fly free and get discounts at hotels, so naturally this would appear to be expensive for us. However, we booked a month before taking the cruise and we spoke to other people who cruise and they said we got a really good deal. We have never taken a vacation like this, so we felt we deserved it and we have never regretted it and looking forward to doing another soon.

We have friends who started cruising. She gets an interest free credit card, books the trip, then pays it off over the period of time that there is no interest. Also, they use frequent flyer points for their airfare.

What does anyone know about the carnival credit card where you build points??? We don't us credit cards but are going to building a house--subcontracting it out ourselves and it crossed my mind as to how many points it took to get free trip with points....????????????

I could get the credit card and use it for building the house and write checks weekly to pay it off,,,,if it would get me a free trip....wishful thinking is what i think but i don't know anything about it...

anyone know?????????

thanks.:confused: :confused: :confused:

It would take you about 30000-45000 points per person to get a free 4-5 day cruise. They do give the first 5000 points free. So if you ran about $70,000 through it, you should have a free one. https://gif.juniper.com/images/new/landingpages/smc/redemption.pdf

Dave

It all depends on your priorities. You have to ask yourself what is worthwhile in your life. Most of us want a family. Some of us want glory. Some want fame. Some want power. I just want to be able live comfortably, enjoy myself and be happy.

I haven't had a holiday for 4 years before i booked my first cruise this year. ( Been on a cruise ship once before, i was really young and while i enjoyed myself, i didn't even remembered that cruise exist until i look at potential holidays.) I'm single and most cruise lines would charge me double, but i rationalize that if i work hard, i have to play hard as well.

Ever since i booked my first one, i am hooked, and while it is harder to go on a cruise on one person, i will do it because i need to reward myself for my hard work. It's hard, but i will save and make my investments work for me and look for bargains to pamper myself. Everything else on the ship optional besides tips, so if you put away 100/200 a month, you can definitely find deals to make it work.

When there is a will, there is a way.

I have often wonder how people can cruise back to back, and two and three times a year. But what I do is just research cruise prices, talk to the wife about the findings, call RCI:) , and start making 10 to 11 monthly payments. I don't see no other way. I have wife and Two teenage boys who love cruising, and we go once a year. We would go in the off season but the school thing is the hard part-getting around it. I teach, so summer school pushes our cruises to the last of July and first of Aug(save $20 per person:) ). But I think it is all about what you want to do land or cruise. On a cruise you can see different people or just see the beautifull art work GOD has done.

I will start paying for our next cruise next month for RCI Enchantment of the Seas Aug 04, of '08 to Western Caribbean to Key West, Cozumel, and Belize(Mayan Ruins:) ) out of Fort Laurdadale. $222 a month until June.

We did our first cruise in 1987 while I was working. We found that we liked that kind of vacation, however, we only took one more cruise while i worked. I had a job that took all of my time (most of the time I worked about 60 to 70 hours a week). I retired in 1991, but still did not get into the swing until 1996 when we took a 108 day world cruise. After that we have taken as many as six cruises in a year. I did not have a big paying job as I worked for the other man, not as my own business. But I always saved throughout my working years. For the last 15 years of work I saved over 22 percent of my income each year into my company retirement fund. 1991 was a very good year to retire as the stock market was on a big upswing. I rolled over my company retirement fund into an IRA which I managed. For the next 9 years the IRA increased faster than we spent on travel. Yes, the bust in 2001-2003 did hurt my IRA. But not as much as other investors who invested in dot-coms. My IRA still has a balance more than double the initial roll-over value.

Yes, the answer is looking for cruise bargans. They are not around now as they were after 911. Cruise companies are not giving the large discounts like in the past. For several years I would not book a cruise unless it was at least 50 percent discounted. But you have to jump fast when you find a large discount. A few years ago Crystal had to sell the complete Crystal Harmony ship for four cruises when they brought it back from China after the SARS problem. The cabins were discounted 65 percent. I booked first thing in the morning, and the ship's four cruises were completly sold out by 11:30AM.

We look for discounted cruises, but not necessary lowest cost cruise. When we find a large discount, we book a higher grade cabin. We like to cruise in a top penthouse suite when the price is right. We have cruised in the ship's top suite for the normal cost of an outside cabin on three times. We never cruise in an inside cabin. The majority of the time we are in a verandah cabin. Three times we have been in the owners cabin. We have even cruised in the 2,600 Sq. Ft. penthouse suite on the Infinity, but we only paid a per diem of $310, which is the price for a low grade verandah cabin. I agree that you can cruise often if you look for the discounted cruises. Due to the support of the stock market, We have been able to cruise in much more upgraded cabins.

I have often wonder how people can cruise back to back, and two and three times a year. But what I do is just research cruise prices, talk to the wife about the findings, call RCI:) , and start making 10 to 11 monthly payments. I don't see no other way. I have wife and Two teenage boys who love cruising, and we go once a year. We would go in the off season but the school thing is the hard part-getting around it. I teach, so summer school pushes our cruises to the last of July and first of Aug(save $20 per person:) ). But I think it is all about what you want to do land or cruise. On a cruise you can see different people or just see the beautifull art work GOD has done.

I will start paying for our next cruise next month for RCI Enchantment of the Seas Aug 04, of '08 to Western Caribbean to Key West, Cozumel, and Belize(Mayan Ruins:) ) out of Fort Laurdadale. $222 a month until June.

Do all cruise lines offer this kind of monthly payment? Do you have to book through the cruise line or can you use a TA? I never heard of this before! Or is it something done through your credit card?

but yes it's legit. I won so it must be real. This is one you might want to check out http://www.pamperedpassions.com/sweepstakes.htm. Hopefully a lot of people haven't tapped into this one yet, but we'll find out soon if I'm chosen.

If I were you I would definitely save your pennies as a back up plan. I think there people out there that all they do is sign up for anything and everything they see.

Thanks for the tip here. I signed up too. I woke up this morning to find a five dollar bill in my pocket - that's what you get for not washing your clothes! It's my lucky day.

Archived