Just back from Century 15th-25th

kellya1

Hello everyone,

Im just back from that cruise as well, so will give you a quick (short)review but will post a more detailed one later one, once I settle back into working life. Im sorry if there is any spelling mistakes or that since we landed late on Monday night and then I had to do a full day at work yesterday.:(

We landed at Barcelona airport at 3pm on the friday and were checking in at dock side for 4.30pm and on the ship at 4.35pm, this was the fastest ever for us. We stayed in 9116 a Concierge Class room.

Had late sitting for a table of 8, sitting at 619 and the waiter was victor hugo who was very good. Table mates have become good friends now.

The postive's:

Ports of call were good, Entertainment shows each night were of a high standard, guest speakers on board, food in main dinning room, the cruise critic meeting and the new friends which we made, the extra benefits of being in concierge class, the 50's & 60's night held in the crystal room was so funny and so entertaining. The cocktail parties for Select members of the Captins Club were good, and the captain would come around each table and speak to us all, and the priority tendering helped us, So overall it was good.

The negative side:

Cruise Director - Allan King, we found poor. Compared to Gordon and Clo who we have had on RCCL we found him not funny and not interesting. When we were speaking to him at the Cruise Critic meeting, you could tell he wasnt listening to you fully as his eyes were focusing on other things in the room.

The activites during the day were very limited, mainly quizes and activites along these lines. When we did go to a basketball throwing competition, the activity staff member only stayed with us for under 10 min's.There was enough 'get up and go' about some of the activity people.

The food in the Island Grill was good however not the same wide selection as on RCCL.

One the plane back from Barcelona to Heathrow, we were sitting beside some whos luggage never appeared for the whole cruise!. 55 cases from a number of people never made the ship on the leaving day, however some did arrive half way though the cruise, some never made it at all.

Would we go back on Celebrity? - Although the cruise was good we wouldnt go back on Celebrity, we have had better on RCCL.

I will post a longer review in the review section over the coming weekend, but in the mean time please ask any questions and I will try and answer them.

Thanks

Steven:)

Lisa - The ship is lovely, not too small, not too big, very tastefully decorated. The shows were OK - not as entertaining as RCCL. We had a pickpocket comedian who was very funny, and provided information on how to protect yourself at the same time. He actually took peoples watches and ties and even glasses off without them realising! We found the waiter in the Martini Bar who does magic tricks, very entertaining too.

bbmdschmidt - Our CD was Allen King...I was not a fan. I was spoiled 2 years ago when we had the most fantastic CD (he looks like Dale Winton... Is it Ken Rush?) who always said hello and remembered our names. This CD was bland in my opinion. The Captain was Greek...can't remeber his name off hand. Lovely man, he always kept us informed of weather forecasts and location information, and signed off with "bye for now" :)

We loved Murano's, the 4 courses were plenty, the service impeccible...I would recommend booking on embarkation...we left it 2 hours and didn't get our first choice! We spoke to the Matridee who was a lovely gentleman informed us on the last day that there had been several cancellations throughout the week and we would have been able to eat there again. The goat cheese soufle was amazing, as was the Dover Sole.

slotaddict - Overall the food was very good. Murano's was exceptional. The spa cafe was my faveourite place, and always packed. They had the best desserts on board!

The entertainment is geared towards an older American audience (even though our cruise had more than half British, this weeks cruise is 3/4 British!) not many taking part in some of the trivia activities which was disapointing.

We had a inside cabin, which I was extremely impressed with. Lots of space, a huge bed, comfy pilliows and plenty of storage space. There was even a glow in the dark plug so we always had a small light during the night.

cmoq-no hotwater pool I'm afraid, the spa area looks stunning though, I didn't get to see the Persian Gardens ($15 to use the scentend steam room) but we participated in the couples massage class ($55).

Chuck & Q Express - We had a peek, they look lovely, as do all the cabins. Very modern and spacious. I was satsified with the inside, but would like a balcony next time, just to have dinner and breakfast on the balcony.

I hope to have a review by the weekend! So much to say! Just sorting out the pictures now!

Kelly :)

Lisa - The ship is lovely, not too small, not too big, very tastefully decorated. The shows were OK - not as entertaining as RCCL. We had a pickpocket comedian who was very funny, and provided information on how to protect yourself at the same time. He actually took peoples watches and ties and even glasses off without them realising! We found the waiter in the Martini Bar who does magic tricks, very entertaining too.

bbmdschmidt - Our CD was Allen King...I was not a fan. I was spoiled 2 years ago when we had the most fantastic CD (he looks like Dale Winton... Is it Ken Rush?) who always said hello and remembered our names. This CD was bland in my opinion. The Captain was Greek...can't remeber his name off hand. Lovely man, he always kept us informed of weather forecasts and location information, and signed off with "bye for now" :)

We loved Murano's, the 4 courses were plenty, the service impeccible...I would recommend booking on embarkation...we left it 2 hours and didn't get our first choice! We spoke to the Matridee who was a lovely gentleman informed us on the last day that there had been several cancellations throughout the week and we would have been able to eat there again. The goat cheese soufle was amazing, as was the Dover Sole.

slotaddict - Overall the food was very good. Murano's was exceptional. The spa cafe was my faveourite place, and always packed. They had the best desserts on board!

The entertainment is geared towards an older American audience (even though our cruise had more than half British, this weeks cruise is 3/4 British!) not many taking part in some of the trivia activities which was disapointing.

We had a inside cabin, which I was extremely impressed with. Lots of space, a huge bed, comfy pilliows and plenty of storage space. There was even a glow in the dark plug so we always had a small light during the night.

cmoq-no hotwater pool I'm afraid, the spa area looks stunning though, I didn't get to see the Persian Gardens ($15 to use the scentend steam room) but we participated in the couples massage class ($55).

Chuck & Q Express - We had a peek, they look lovely, as do all the cabins. Very modern and spacious. I was satsified with the inside, but would like a balcony next time, just to have dinner and breakfast on the balcony.

I hope to have a review by the weekend! So much to say! Just sorting out the pictures now!

Hello Kelly,

Gald you made it back home. I remember seeing you at the cruise critic meeting (you came in later on). We were also at some of the afternoon trivia activities (at the same one as you in Valancia in the Rendez Vous Square), and felt the same since it was aimed for the older person. (Im in my late 20's as well).

You felt Allan was a bit of a poor cruise director aswell. We did have breakfast on the balcony twice and it was great and it arrived early as well. Another good area on board was the sun set bar which was never to busy we felt.

The Gym was good and the two fitness instructors were friendly and I did go to the spin classes which were on a par with my spin classes at my gym.

Steven:)

Hi Steven!

I was gutted that I didn't have time to make it round to talk to everyone. I thought the meeting would last longer. We had real trouble getting out of bed as I was not in the best of health :(

Just uploading my photos now, I took over 300! It's taking forever! I'll forward you the link when it's finished!

What did you think of the extra $$ for shuttles? It cost us an extra $100 which I wasn't anticipating!

Hi!

For most ports (Livorno, Marseille, Valencia, Ibiza, Mallorca - more than half) Celebrity charge you an extra $10 per person to get a shuttle out of the port if you do not have an excursion booked with them! There were never any taxi's around so we had little choice in most cases but to buy the shuttle pass. I was quite shocked at the scare tatics they used; in the daily programme they would put it takes 20 minutes, for example, to get to the town in Ibiza, when it only took 5, 10 max! Many people where very angry. And coming back from Lucca, we got the last shuttle to the ship, some people had been queuing for it for over an hour, when it is supposed to come every 20 minutes. And the crew also used the shuttle, and kicked up a fuss when a passenger wanted to get on, meaning they had to get off.

I really wasn't impressed with this service!

Hi,

I Think we are on the same itinerary, so could you please tell me in which ports it is possible to walk in town instead off using the shuttle? We are 2 couples in our 40th so are able to walk for a while....

I don't want to spend my money on that and even than you tell me it is not working properly...i prefer to spend the 10$ on a drink or something else!

Since we are European did they accept only $ or also Euro and how much was it than?

Thanks a lot

Tania

Kelly and Steven - Thanks for your useful comments re the ship .

I have a question please - Is it dual voltage in the cabins and if so are the 240V for 2 pin plugs?

Thanks

Isabel

Hello,

Since the Ship is an American Cruise line, all the plugs were American, so we had to take our converter which we were able to plug into the plug and then it meant we could charge up our phone etc etc since they all come from the UK.

We have never had to pay for trasnfers before, apart from when i was in Cork with RCCL in April and it was £10, but remeber the port of Cork is around 45 mins away from the main town itself.

We found that you could probably walk into the towns in Civitavecchia (rome), Palma, and Ibiza. A couple from our dinning table did this and they took 40mins to do the Ibiza walk and they were a young couple as well.

The ship uses $ on board and not the Euro however you can use the on board bank to change your money.

Steven

:)

Hello

Can you let me know about the wireless Internet access that is supposed to now be in each cabin? I am having a hard time getting confirmation from Celebrity about this -- and the rep said a 'kit' is needed for in room access, and limited kits are available (making me think they were talking about the dial up kits). There should be no kit needed if wireless is truly available in the rooms.

Steven - Thanks for answering my question on the voltage.

The first time we remember paying for the shuttlebus was with HAL on a Baltic Cruise in 2002 - Tallin springs to mind. We are having difficulty remembering other specific cruises and cruiselines but I do remember registering name and cabin number as we got on a shuttlebus on more than this one occasion. C'est la vie, unfortunately.

Thanks for the tips on Villefranche but our itinerary now shows Cannes.

Does anyone know if our camera cables can be plugged into the room TV so that we can edit our photos as we go along. Some ships do and some ships don't but with the new LCD TV's we hope we can. Helps on the packing front.

Looking forward to joining the Century next Friday. We sailed on the newly refurbished NCL Spirit out of New York last Thanksgiving and it was our worst cruise experience. If it had been our 1st it would have been our last. Out of all the major lines we have tried Celebrity is our favourite overall.:)

Isabel ands Ken

Steven,

I noticed that you went to the gym did you use the sauna at all.

I do belive that there is a FOC one in the changing rooms for ladies and gents.

Do they only charge for the Persian Gardens?

Many thanks.

Hello,

No i did not use the saunas at all on this cruise. Can I ask what a FOC is or im I being totally thick here?

And i cant answer your question around the persian garden either, to tell you the truth i cant remember seeing it unless it was the room just to the right before you went into the gym.

Sorry

Steven

Steven,

I noticed that you went to the gym did you use the sauna at all.

I do belive that there is a FOC one in the changing rooms for ladies and gents.

Do they only charge for the Persian Gardens?

Many thanks.

There is a sauna in the Men's change room, as well as a shower stall. I did not try it on our Aug 2 trip, but it doesn't look like there would be a charge. I did not check to see if it was heated at all times.

There is also a sauna in the Persian Gardens which does have a fee.

Does anyone know if the tv has a connection to plug a camera cable into so that I can edit my photos as we go along. Some ships do and some ships don't but with the new LCD TV's I was hoping I could.

Thanks

Ken

Ken,

There were no connections on the new flat screen TV in our inside cabin on the August Baltic cruise -- don't know about suites or CC class cabins.

Archived