Bringing Alcohol Home

seamare

How are you packing the alcohol bought on the islands for your return airflight home? In the past, we always would just carry on the cardboard cases supplied from the shops, now I'm wondering how people are transporting their purchases? I'm thinking of bringing an extra suitcase. We leave Saturday on the CB.

We just got back from CB last saturday. We bought 5 bottles in St. thomas and they packed it in a airline approved container. We checked it with our luggage and it got home just fine. The airline put a fragile tag on it and it was even TSA inspected and all bottles were still there.(Was slightly worried about TSA sampling my bottles :)

Last month, we saw very few bottles being purchased and checked at the airport. Even in the stores in St. Thomas and St. Martin they were trying to push you a bit more into buying. We could tell their sales were down as the liquor sections of the stores had very few people shopping, compared to being packed on previous voyages. We decided to pass that time on bringing anything home with us until we heard from others that did with success.

Remember, if checking liquor, even in an airline approved box/container, you are still restricted for weight and the number of pieces you can check. So, if you wish to purchase the airline approved transport box, make sure you don't already have the maximum amount of checked luggage already.

Archived