When to Book???

jilly08

I'm taking my daughter on a cruise for her 21st birthday. We know we want a balcony cabin on the Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruise in January 2005.

I've been reading the postings and looking at the different cruise discount sites and I'm slightly overwhelmed.

When should we book to guarantee a balcony cabin but also to take advantage of any reduction in price? Is the BL category a good idea if we know we don't want a partially obstructed view? Do you normally get a better cabin when you purchase a balcony guarantee cabin?

Should I wait? Should I book now?

Does anyone have any experience with Best Price Cruises? If the price goes down will they reduce the price I am paying now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jilly

I'm also looking at the Legend in this time frame (Jan. - Feb., 2005), except on the Southern.

Yep, it is an overwhelming task to make your comparison amongst the various onl-line TAs.!

I'm going to book now (this week), and make sure whoever I book with will honor price drops with a reduction, and shipboard credits after final payment (last choice: upgrade in lieu of a reduction or credit). Book earlier to hopefully get a better upgrade -- no point in waiting.

Don't rule out the OV guarantee option vs. BL -- you can save $150 - 200 PP and since there are relatively few cabins in this category on the Spirit class ships you still have a very good chance at a great balcony upgrade (especially booking 6-7 months out).

I haven't used BPC. Be careful when looking at BPC's pricing, as the port charges aren't shown to you immediately until you get further along. Most other sites show you this included (except for taxes). Watch out for booking fees ($15 @ Expedia), cancellation fees (e.g. $50 @ Expedia), or other processing or document delivery fees.

I'm taking my daughter on a cruise for her 21st birthday. We know we want a balcony cabin on the Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruise in January 2005.

I've been reading the postings and looking at the different cruise discount sites and I'm slightly overwhelmed.

When should we book to guarantee a balcony cabin but also to take advantage of any reduction in price? Is the BL category a good idea if we know we don't want a partially obstructed view? Do you normally get a better cabin when you purchase a balcony guarantee cabin?

Should I wait? Should I book now?

Does anyone have any experience with Best Price Cruises? If the price goes down will they reduce the price I am paying now?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jilly

Hi Jilly:

I'm new at this too - spent gobs of time online....

We're sailing on the Valor next June. What I did was book thru Carnival direct (or anyone else for that matter). My understanding is that they can book you on a TBA status. In other words, for a balcony, you are guaranteed a room w/ a balcony anywhere from the Upper Deck up...they can also upgrade you if upgraded rooms (and levels) are available. If you book a specific room prior, you are not elegible for the upgrade. Also, bonus w/ booking thru carnival is that if discounts occur, they will automatically link it to your account and you'll be eligible....

Carnival has been very helpful to me - I pretty much handle all the vacation planning in the house! :)

Good luck and have a great trip!

Kristin:p

JILLY

Hi there excited Cruiser-to-be:) . Just wanted you to know We booked on the Legend for January 6th, 2005. Have a great TA, great prices, great guy. I have total confidence we will get any price reductions. If you want his number let me know and I will hook you up with him..Hope to see you on the Legend on January 6th.

You can e-mail me at Ballymote@snip.net

Frank

Thank you all for replying to my post. I appreciate you taking the time.

I'll be booking the 1/30 Legend sailing within the next few days. :p

After that, I'll be scouring the boards for info on the ports!

I'm so excited already. My daughter is gonna freak!

thanks again,

Jilly

We booked our upcoming october 23 trip more than a year ago and made our final payment this week. Aong the way we have seen our price per person drop more than $600 per person. On our 1/15 cruise we have seen our cost drop more than $300 per person. Both cruises we picked specific staterooms with balconies and dealt solely with cruise lines. We think you should book as soon as possible and book the minimum type of stateroom you would be satisfied with. Knowing that you might want a balcony, at least book something that might be upgraded to that level. Also check the prices on a regular basis and check with the cruise line or ta for price drops and cruise credits.

Jim

Archived