First timers

ttlcx3

I am taking my teenage daughters 19, 17 & 16 on the Victory over the Thanksgiving holiday. We have never cruised before but I have been reading everything I can get my hands on. They are just excited to be going on a cruise with mom as I am to be taking them. Just wondering if you have any advise to help make this a safe yet fun time for all four of us.

I talk to my kids all the time. My number one rule is not to go in anyone's cabin. My next big one is I tell them when walking down the hall to your cabin if someone is behind you to walk around again, so you are not pushed into your room. My kids also have to be back in the cabin at 11:00 PM. I try to remember that they are also on vacation, but as a parent its hard. I give them freedom but every hour, hour 1/2 I want to know where they are.

Congrats on your first cruise, my #1 rule for my girls is always stay together, do not go to anyones cabin, check in with me every few hours, and keep your drinks with you at all times. My girls are now 20 & 21 and my rules still apply. I have found out know that they are older they like to spend more time with dear old mom.

For my my 13 year old, all the other rules appy except I must know where she is at all times, if she is not where she says she is going to be than she has to stay with me and she has to check in every hour.

Thank you, I am very nervous about this trip as I want them to have a good time but I also want to keep them safe. At this age, they think 'that won't happen to me' so I want to be sure to cover all the dos and don't before we ever set sail.

I agree that you have every right to be nervous...however, you know you have raised them well. Just a time for some straight talk....besides the earlier recommendations (very good ones by the way)...

Just explain that being on this ship is like being in a small town. Sadly, you have no idea who the guy next door is.

Buy each of them a insulated mug (with a cover) and MAKE them use it. Since hubby and I go different directions at night (he loves shows, I love karaoke) ... I only drink from my insulated mug with a top. (You can buy them in the gift show that has Carnival on them) It is way to easy for someone to slip something into their soda.

Invest in a set of walkie talkies. I know people hate to hear that chirp (and they don't even have to leave them on constantly chirping about every step they have taken)..but if they get into trouble and you are only a "beep" away....it can make all the difference.

Lastly, just remind them not to leave their common sense at home. Cruise ships are as safe (or safer) than any other party spot...but it is still a party spot where folks will be consuming alcohol and sometimes lots of it.

My oldest son is 18 now and since he was 15 (very tall for his age) he is been the "cruise big brother" of the group. Parents (who were our tablemates) many times have asked him to keep an eye out for their daughters while on the cruise. And a couple of times, he has walked them to their cabin doors to make sure they got there ok. Especially if it was late.

It always helps if they can find a guy or two that act as a "buffer". If there are any creeps on board...they are looking for an easy target. Tell them not to be one!!

a teen metting the first night will be held-- VERY important the kids get to this meeting no matter how lame they think it is or how cool they think they are.

early dinner is also a better idea as most teen activities on this ship is done between 8pm & 10pm

Congrats on your first cruise, my #1 rule for my girls is always stay together, do not go to anyones cabin, check in with me every few hours, and keep your drinks with you at all times. My girls are now 20 & 21 and my rules still apply. I have found out know that they are older they like to spend more time with dear old mom.

For my my 13 year old, all the other rules appy except I must know where she is at all times, if she is not where she says she is going to be than she has to stay with me and she has to check in every hour.

You are such a great mom to still care enough to give your daughters rules at 20 and 21. I am 23 now, but was completely on my own at 16 (out of the house, in my own apartment, etc.). They might not realize it now, but they are very fortunate.

All very good points, one that I might add is to research the ports and plan where you are going to go ahead of time. I am a single parent and I heard many horror stories about Jamaica, so I read up on here quite a bit and found out about Sunset Beach and even found out the right taxis to take. Jamaica ended up being our favorite stop of all time!

Archived