Cozumel - Chankanaab

Hi gang!

My wife and I will be sailing on The Rhapsody of the Seas on August 29, 2004. One of our stops will be in Cozumel where we've booked (directly) the Royal Dolphin Swim.

The ship shows it's supposed to dock at 9:00am. Our swim is scheduled for 10:00am. Will this give us time enough to get to Chankanaab and check in for our Dolphin Swim?

Thanks for your input!

Patrick and Renata Briscoe

When we were there, ship time and Cozumel time were in different time zones. Cozumel was 1 hour behind than the ship time. They did not change the clocks since later that day we were back in the "Miami" time zone. 9am ship time = 8am Cozumel time.

Our ship, Zuiderdam, changed hours like crazy when we were on our W. Caribbean cruise to stay on the same time as the local ports of call. However, most of the time, the ships arrived early. If your ship actually arrives at 9:00, you probably can't get off until 9:15 a.m. at the earliest.

Depending on which pier you are anchored at, and walking to the cab area, getting the cab, you will be cutting it alittle close I think. Is there any way to let the tour you are going on know that you will be coming but maybe a few minutes late? As a general rule and depending on the logistics of the port I am at, I leave at least 2 hrs. to get to a private tour. But then I like not to have to rush!

Thanks for the tips so far! I've checked the local time/ship time factor and found that The Rhapsody and Cozumel are both running Central Daylights Saving Time so that shouldn't be a factor. I'll check with Dolphin Discovery as well and see if they think I'll have enough time. If the ship is late for some reason I can get a refund but we'd rather swim with the Dolphins!

Thanks again,

Patrick and Renata

Two years ago I was aboard Rhapsody and booked the Royal swim. Rhapsody and Cozumel, Mexico are on the same time as Galveston, Texas which is Central Standard Time. For your planning purpose I think you are a bit rushed making the Royal Swim that early in the morning considering the ship gets their at 9am. If the ship is running late for any reason then your situation will be even more stressed trying to make the early swim you have booked. You are really going to have to hustle it up and get off of the ship and go catch a cab to get to Chakanaab which is from what I remember is about a 10 minute trip from the pier. When you get off the ship you have a fairly long walk, with lots of people standing around on the pier probably one or two other ships unloading at the same time all on the way to catch a Taxi and you will also find many, many, distractions to slow you down on your way to the taxi's like people wanting to sell you cool souveniers, take your picture. The ship always has people ready to take your picture at each port, stopping for those pictures may slow you down even more especially if there is a small line. Dolphin Dicovery is spectacular and an experience that is very special. Dolphin Discovery takes photos of you with the Dolphins and video of your interaction wiith the Dolphins. I have participated in the Dolphin Royal swim as well as the Dolphin encounter. During the encounter you just get in the water and get interact with the dolphins. During the swim the dolphins do tricks and swim with you and do many things with you like push you by your feet and much more. My son and I liked the Royal Swim so much we will be visitng for our third visit to the Dolphin Discovery Royal Swim very soon. My best suggestion is to hurry, hurry, hurry, when you are cleared to exit the ship in Cozumel, Mexico. You will probably be O.K. but you are really going to have hustle. Good Luck !!!!! I have bought all the pictures they take and the amazing video each time and treasure them very much. Overall I say you are cutting it close, and there is no way I would be comfortable with that booking time.

I would see if you could switch to the 12:00 swim with dolphin discovery. I wouldn't want to have to rush to get there. I agree with the above posters you might cut it very close. Why rush on your vacation. :D

We are doing the dolphin royal swim in Cozumel too and were concerned about the time between docking and the swim schedule (remember, they want you to be there 30 minutes before your scheduled start time). We ended up changing to 12:00 to allow for any delays in docking, taxis, etc. and plan to wander around the park before and afterward (hate that "rush, rush, rush" when on vacation).

Thanks folks. We followed your advice and with a dash of luck thrown in, we were able to switch to the 12:00 swim. No rushing now! This should still leave us time for a great massage at Spa Del Sol and possibly a quick bite to eat at Tony Romes.

Thanks for the advice!

Patrick and Renata

What was the pricing on the pictures and video for the Royal Swim?

Thanks in advance

Was there in Jan '04 and did the "Royal Dolphin Swim"

We bought a couple of photos. If you buy just one they will charge you more for a single photo. We paid something like $15 for the 1st one and $9 for the 2nd. The price is worth it. They take really good photos, close up and very sharp. They put them in cardboard protectors to prevent bending.

The video is nice as well, they put your names in the video, slow motion, fade in, fade out, etc...

Above all, enjoy the swim - you will not soon forget it!!!

Thank you very much for the replies!

We are taking my mother along with us to be a Nanny for our two small children and we are paying for everything but her excursions. It has been a dream of my mothers to swim with a dolphin and this helps her to budget for this!

Thanks again!

Archived