AVIS pick up before 8 am

Cruisegirl9

Thanks for the reply. How much is a taxi ride to AVIS/airport location ? Can you use the payphone with your credit card or to you need local coins ?

It is our first time in GC and we don't want to waste any time getting to our rental car. - Thanks for any info !!!

Las Vegas Non Rev should be back on the 5th. We leave on the 7th. I hope he/she lets us know about Avis and Grand Cayman. We have rented a car, and from what I've read the time in Cayman is the same time as here, except they don't go on Central Daylight time. Our ship is supposed to be there 9-5:30------so I'm assuming that is 7-3:30 Grand Cayman time. Hopefully, I'm right. We will try to get off on one of the first tenders, and get a taxi to the airport by 8AM. If you call them, will they come pick you up before Blue Iguana opens? Or do we need to get a taxi?

Hope you had a great trip LVNR!!!!! And, thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in GC 9-5:30(ship's time), and 8-4:30 GC time. We got a taxi for 6 people for $15 to Avis airport location. It's a 15-20 minute ride. The agents at Avis were having some problems with a new computer system. They do have a map of the island. Be sure to get directions back to the Avis counter. We went around in circles trying to find it when we were trying to return the car. Just follow the signs to the airport terminal, and before turning into the airport, you'll see the rental car agencies to the left. We rented a Ford Taurus with all insurance and Grand Cayman visitor's driver's permit for $65 total. It was a little cramped for 6 adults, but we survived! We drove the long way around the island to Rum Point, and took the shortcut back. Rum Point is very nice, and the food was delicious! There are showers and bathrooms just behind the restaurant. They have lounge chairs for your use(no charge). If anyone has other questions, I'll try to help.

I've rented a car from Avis for Nov 9th. I read that I just go across the street to the Blue Iguana and they have a shuttle that takes me to the car. Nothing was mentioned on the website that the gift shop might not be open when we pick up the car. I arranged for a 9 am pickup, but was considering changing it to an 8 am. Anyone know if this is going to be a problem???

We drove the long way around the island to Rum Point, and took the shortcut back. ... If anyone has other questions, I'll try to help.

I can't wait for out trip to Rum Point!

We also plan to rent a car as you did.

So what is the shortcut back vs the long way around the island?? How much time did it save you? How did you get directions to Rum Point?

I am trying to have as much beach time as possible.

Thanks for offerring to help with questions!

Jan

I can't wait for out trip to Rum Point!

We also plan to rent a car as you did.

So what is the shortcut back vs the long way around the island?? How much time did it save you? How did you get directions to Rum Point?

I am trying to have as much beach time as possible.

Thanks for offerring to help with questions!

Jan

Jan--------You can reserve your rental car from Avis before going to save time. www.aviscayman.com They had our Taurus waiting out front. The only thing that slowed us down was the new computer system they were getting used to. They have a map on the counter. Remember they drive on the left! The long way around is about thirty minutes longer with no stops. The short cut is taking Frank Sound Drive. It is VERY easy to get to Rum Point, but remember to follow airport signs to turn the car back in. We drove around in circles before finding our way back to Avis. It is in a very commercialized area, and unless you really pay attention as you are leaving, you don't remember how to get back. They do have a complimentary shuttle back to Georgetown pier area. If you enjoy beaches, and are going to Montego Bay, I'll also suggest Doctor's Cave Beach------a $4 pp taxi and $5 pp entrance fee, $5 for umbrella and $5 for chairs. VERY impressed with this spot. Beaches Resort is "next door". For Cozumel-----Paradise Beach, San Francisco Beach, Chankanaab or Passion Island. St. Maarten---Orient Bay. ST. Thomas---Magens Bay

If your ship arrives at 7:00, I doubt you'll have to worry about arriving at Avis before 8:00. Just because the ship arrives at 7 doesn't mean it will begin tenders at 7. The ship first has to get clearance. Then people with excursions booked from the ship and those that have cruised the cruiselines multiple times get priority in getting the first tenders. Then its open to everyone. Waiting for a tender and then the actual loading of the tender takes time. Then you have to get to the pier and get a cab to Avis which another bit of a drive. I really doubt you'll make it to Avis before 8:00, so I really don't think it is an issue.

As a previous poster suggested, sign up in advance, so they'll be ready for you when you get there.

Also be aware that stops at Grand Cayman occasionally get passed by due to conditions that would make tendering difficult. the first time we were supposed to stop by Grand Cayman, we didn't even tho it was a beautiful sunny day. It was decided that the waves around the island would make tendering difficult, so we had to just wave as we passed.

If your ship arrives at 7:00, I doubt you'll have to worry about arriving at Avis before 8:00. Just because the ship arrives at 7 doesn't mean it will begin tenders at 7. The ship first has to get clearance. Then people with excursions booked from the ship and those that have cruised the cruiselines multiple times get priority in getting the first tenders. Then its open to everyone. Waiting for a tender and then the actual loading of the tender takes time. Then you have to get to the pier and get a cab to Avis which another bit of a drive. I really doubt you'll make it to Avis before 8:00, so I really don't think it is an issue.

FYI........Grand Cayman time is one hour earlier than ship time......that's why cruise passengers have this question. Also, Blue Iguana(where you get the complimentary shuttle for Avis) doesn't open till an hour later after you can get there from the tendering. There is NO problem reserving a car if your ship doesn't stop for tendering in GC, the car rental agency doesn't charge you. Also, there was no priority tendering on our trip last week.....we are diamond members, and would have had them if they were available.

I am totally confused. If we dock at 7:00 on our schedule, does that mean it is really 6:00 Cayman time, or is it 8:00 Cayman time? And if the ship leaves at 4:00, what time is it in Cayman?

Does the ship time schedule stay the same as Galveston the whole time?

I am totally confused. If we dock at 7:00 on our schedule, does that mean it is really 6:00 Cayman time, or is it 8:00 Cayman time? And if the ship leaves at 4:00, what time is it in Cayman?

Does the ship time schedule stay the same as Galveston the whole time?

We were just on Freedom of the Seas........the ship stayed on Miami time the entire trip. So, Grand Cayman time was one hour earlier than our ship's time. You will need to ask the guest relations or exploration personel on what ever ship you are on if they stay on Galveston time. It also changes with daylight savings time.:confused:

FYI........Grand Cayman time is one hour earlier than ship time......that's why cruise passengers have this question. Also, Blue Iguana(where you get the complimentary shuttle for Avis) doesn't open till an hour later after you can get there from the tendering. There is NO problem reserving a car if your ship doesn't stop for tendering in GC, the car rental agency doesn't charge you. Also, there was no priority tendering on our trip last week.....we are diamond members, and would have had them if they were available.

Not on all ships. Last year we were on the Carribean Princess and the ship matched the same time as the island, so 7:00 ship time was the same as 7:00 Grand Cayman time. The RCCL Mariner was docked next to us and they did not change time so the ship time was one hour later than GC time, so when the ship said it was leaving at 4:00, it was actually 3:00 Grand Cayman time.

The OP did not mention which ship she is sailing so without that info we don't know if the ship will be on GC time or Eastern Standard time.

I know that she wouldn't be responsible for renting the Avis car is the ship doesn't stop there. I was just mentioning that because our family was so disappointed when we didn't stop (2 years ago when we were on the Navigator). I had never heard of that sometimes GC gets passed by and we were really bummed.

Vmom, based on your last comment I am going to stop trying to figure out this time thing and wait until we are there and just ask what time it is on board and on land. This is one of those cases that I'll just have to wing it as far as picking up the rental jeep. This is vacation, for Pete's sake, and I've been stressing out about this to the point that I'm forgetting it's supposed to be fun!! I appreciate everyone's explanations, but math was never really my thing anyway:rolleyes: .

I know what you mean about being disappointed in not stopping at a scheduled port. The same thing happened to me last year on the Enchantment going to New England/Canada. We just waved at Martha's vineyard and cruised around an extra day at sea. Surely something like that won't happen to me twice:eek:

I'm on RCCL Rhapsody arriving Cayman 11/9/06...

The last time I cruised with them, they tendered us to a spot away from town. It did NOT take us to the pier in town. We had to pay for a mini van ride to town.

Has anyone sailed with RCCL lately?? Do they still tender to the same secluded spot???

Thanks.

Archived