Thinking About Princess At All?

CruiseFever

After a bunch of Carnival cruises I finished my second Princess cruise last week. I have a complete review on our website if you want to know more but there are a few items of interest that I thought I should report

• The Hounds will find a fine home on their group cruise next year!
  • While the action was non-stop, quiet places could be found
  • Still no Fun-vision but Movies Under The Stars was pretty dang cool
  • I went to shows, I never go to shows, and they were good
  • I feel more qualified now to recommend a Princess cruise to anyone who has enjoued a Carnival cruise- Just as Carnival is NOT just a bunch of drunks, Princess is NOT just a bunch of old people

One really cool part was Skywalkers Nightclub/Disco. Here's some video of that place that saw way too much of me:

Princess' Skywalkers Night Club- oh baby:Party time!

And here's a review:

Princess through Carnival eyes

Any questions, let me know ok?

Chris, as a matter of fact I have been thinking of taking a cruise on Princess. I read all of your glowing reviews and decided to snoop around on my own. I lurked on the Princess board and checked out the Princess website. I ordered their brochure which said would only take 7-10 days to get here. Now I need to convince my wife! That may be the hard part.

I also have followed your CP review (and Sydney's). You make a strong case to try Princess. There seem to be many similarities to Carnival and enough differences to make it interesting. I have enjoyed all my Carnival cruises but it may be time to explore another cruise line. Now, all I have to do is convince my DW that another cruise is in order, this time on Princess.

How did Princess pricing compare to Carnival? Did you think the "value" was the same? Did you book directly with Princess or through a TA? I am just beginning to explore itineraries and ships and haven't looked at pricing yet.

BigDoug-I was wondering the same thing as for the pricing of CCL vs Princess. I am thinking of trying Princess next year for our vacation. I have recently heard so many wonderful things about the line that I am leaning towards trying it. I have done a little research, though it is hard because I am not sure what time of the year I want to sail, and have come up with the conclusion that Princess tends to be slightly more expensive.

I have cruised Carnival 5 times, Celebrity once, Princess twice, and RCC twice. They have all been great fun. Celebrity was a little older crowd, and very quiet after midnight. Golden Princess was my favorite of all my cruises. Star Princess (Mex. Riviera), however, was my least favorite. Service, food, etc. wasn't that great. I still love Carnival for fun.

I also have followed your CP review (and Sydney's). You make a strong case to try Princess. There seem to be many similarities to Carnival and enough differences to make it interesting. I have enjoyed all my Carnival cruises but it may be time to explore another cruise line. Now, all I have to do is convince my DW that another cruise is in order, this time on Princess.

How did Princess pricing compare to Carnival? Did you think the "value" was the same? Did you book directly with Princess or through a TA? I am just beginning to explore itineraries and ships and haven't looked at pricing yet.

Comparing 7-day cruises to 7-day cruises the pricing can be really close, especially in off-season...or so it seems to me. I think Carnival has more bargains at the last minute for sure. Princess' older ships are, like Carnival's, less expensive. Comparing a new ship like, say, the Caribbean Princess with the Carnival Miracle the pricing is really close.

At that point it really depends a lot on what you want out of cruise as to which is the better value for you.

We like, for the most part, a quiet and relaxing cruise which is why, after our best Carnival cruise ever on the Legend last December, we thought the timing was right to try the Golden Princess for spring break.

That cruise it was just me and one of my daughters. We had a nice quiet cruise and I remember thinking that cruise was very much like what we would make our Carnival cruises to be only I didn't have to try much, that was just the way they did things. By "try much" I mean that on our Carnival cruises I always pick an all the way aft cabin with a balcony, a location that has less foot traffic and a terrific view, I tip the cabin steward and dining room team up front to insure awesome service, etc.

This last crusie on the Caribbean Princess was just me and the other daughter, this one a college student and party kid. The difference was night and day. It seems as though we did not sleep the entire week, go go going all the time. I saw shows, nightclubs, pool games...all the stuff I avoided on previous cruises...and had my best cruise ever. Totally different experience though. That dang Skywalkers nightclub alone is worth trying Princess IMHO. Surely it all depends on the mix of passengers like any other cruise, but when that place gets cookin there's nothing like it on land or sea.

Unfortunately I have to agree that both lines are similar in some ways. Out of control teens are one. While I've never seen this as a major problem I saw about the same amount of them on Princess as I have on Carnival. Again, I suppose the mix of passengers and the time of the year you go could have something to do with that.

We're going on the third of these one on one cruises, this one with just me and DW (our first alone in 20 years) in October on the Star Princess, one of their comparatively older ships. I gotta tell you that this one has me worried. I've never cruised on any ship in October and I'm worried that it will be all old and boring people...especially because it's on Princess. It seems the reports from whereever I turn indicate that an older clientele sails during off-peak. We'll see. Deep down I think I am probably worrying too much but this last cruise was so good that I know it can't be duplicated...but I'll try.

I do that

One of our best early cruises was on the Carnival Victory so the next two cruises were on the Victory too. Still, I couldn't replicate that first one. Same ship, same itinerary, different people.

As far as booking goes the procedures are very much the same for both lines. You can book directly with the line or use a travel agent. I kind of do both.

Both lines have online registration which makes it really easy. On Princess the FunPass procedure is accomplished by what they call the Cruise Personalizer. They're both looking for basically the same information and completing it online entitles us to use the express lane at embarkation although it seems that often there are more people in the express lane than the regular lanes these days.

That's kind of the long way around to answering your questions, I hope I did, if not let me know ok?

Chris, as a matter of fact I have been thinking of taking a cruise on Princess. I read all of your glowing reviews and decided to snoop around on my own. I lurked on the Princess board and checked out the Princess website. I ordered their brochure which said would only take 7-10 days to get here. Now I need to convince my wife! That may be the hard part.

Tony- let me know if you don't get it very quick, I picked up a pile of them while aboard earlier this month

Hi Chris!

I've missed you over here on the Carnival board! I have read and throughouly enjoyed both your and your daughter's reviews of the CP. Looks like she inherited her writing talent from her dad! I have been giving serious thought to a Princess cruise, and the great reviews make me want to go even more!

Next cruise I have booked in a Baltic next summer on Celebrity's Constellation. (Any thoughts of trying Celebrity sometime in the future?) But this cruise is over a year away! I don't know how I can wait that long!

I went on the Carnival Miracle in June and had a WONDERFUL time! (if you loved the Legend, you will definatley love the Miracle...and NO URNS!) But I do think I need a bit of break from Carnival. Trying to figure a way to swing the $ for a CP cruise this winter! (and the Baltic isn't cheap...2 weeks, Europe, plane fare to and from...sigh)

Then again...the Carnival Liberty Transatlantic is looking awfully good! I so want to do a cruise with ALOT of sea days!!! And probably will NEED to do a lot of sea days on my cruise after the Baltic..talk about port intensive!!!!!

And I still want to do a Panama Canal full transit....sigh...so many cruises to chose from, and not enough $!!!!!!!!!

Yes, it's true!! The Hounds will be on Princess next year!! We're just waiting for the official word that Chris is gonna be with us! :) If you're looking to try the Caribbean Princess that Chris raved out, check out the rates for our CC group cruise, they're amazing!!!

I am happy to say I have experience Princess and Carnival. Like everyone above has said, they compare in many ways. But then again they don't compare in many ways. I believe the pricing all depends on when you go. I went on the Dawn Princess on a 10 day westeren carib. cruise over Christmas and it was a little bit more pricy. I do believe its true when they say Carnival is a "party" ship, where as Princess is more laid back. Princess is just a tad bit more classy, where as Carnival its not as classy. My word of advice is if you get the chance, try a Princess cruise. Princess is a totaly different atmosphere. I know the princess cruises have always made me feel I was always the staffs number one attention where as Carnival I didn't. If you try another cruise line, you might find one that you do think is just a little bit better. I have cruised 5 cruise lines, but I do have a favorite. Princess is ahead of Carnival by just a little bit, but maybe that will change depending how my cruise goes to canada in a week.

We're going on the third of these one on one cruises, this one with just me and DW (our first alone in 20 years) in October on the Star Princess, one of their comparatively older ships. I gotta tell you that this one has me worried. I've never cruised on any ship in October and I'm worried that it will be all old and boring people...especially because it's on Princess. It seems the reports from whereever I turn indicate that an older clientele sails during off-peak. We'll see. Deep down I think I am probably worrying too much but this last cruise was so good that I know it can't be duplicated...but I'll try.

Welcome back Chris!

I'm glad you ventured out of Carnival's waters and into Princess'. It's nice to get an honest perspective from someone.

My DH and I are planning a Panama Canal cruise for the winter of 2007 (a million years from now :( ) after our youngest goes off to college. Carnival doesn't offer much for the canal...especially winter sailings, so we are tossing around Princess or Celebrity. I, too, am worried about the age of the passengers and the 'stuffiness' factor. Don't get me wrong, I am all for a 'classy' cruise, but I don't like classy people with their noses in the air, so where can I find classy people that can let their hair down and have fun???? Is Princess what I'm looking for??

I know a Panama Canal cruise on any line will draw a different passenger than the Caribbean cruises I have previously been on...but I still want to have fun!!

I look forward to your review when you return from your Oct. cruise with your wife to give me some perspective on what I can expect when cruising off season!!

Hi Chris!

Enjoyed your comparison of the two lines. I'm also a lover of both, having sailed Carnival 9 times, Princess thrice (always wanted to use that word LOL), and RCCL twice. You make a wonderful statement for both Carnival and Princess....it all depends on the type of cruise you're looking for.

You did mention that Star was one of their comparatively older ships. I thought it was the newest of the Grand class ships, even newer than Golden, debuting in 2002?? I might be wrong tho. We're going on her next June, but I haven't done a lot of research into the ship itself yet.

Anyway, thanks for an enjoyable read! Glad you're having fun on both lines!!

Happy Sailings!

Chris, ur like one of the BEST assets here on the boards.....ur reviews are superb and as rockin as they come....as r ur daughters.....two HUGE thumbs up to u both:)......and uve made Princess cruising sound veryyyyy attractive to many of us, ME included.....i think I would qualify as a Princess sourpuss! lol......for real though, i think Princess would be a better fit for me, as compared to Carnival...........based on all the great info uve given us.....thanks for all the time taken to post ur review....much appreciated!....Robbyxoxo

Chris, Wow great reviews. I just posted a question about CCL Destiny vs Golden Princess and now my mins is made up. I definitely want to try Princess. Can you tell me though, did you talk to anyone with kids in camp? My kids loved camp carnival. Thanks again for the the indepth and honest reviews.

Dayna

Pammy asked:

Yes, it's true!! The Hounds will be on Princess next year!! We're just waiting for the official word that Chris is gonna be with us! If you're looking to try the Caribbean Princess that Chris raved out, check out the rates for our CC group cruise, they're amazing!!!

Chris wants very badly to go but is moving to Florida about this time next year so he's put a hold on future plans wanting to make sure he's settled in. Still, your prices ARE the very best I've seen. Many of the people we met on the Caribbean Princess earlier this month want to go again next summer so I am looking into a group sailing that would include the 4th of July. The prices are DOUBLE what the CC group rates are. If I can swing it, I'll be there for sure. It's just too good of a deal.

Halos asked:

I am all for a 'classy' cruise, but I don't like classy people with their noses in the air, so where can I find classy people that can let their hair down and have fun???? Is Princess what I'm looking for??

...or an 8 day on the Carnival Legend. That's the closest comparison I can make for what you're looking for. I have run into some snooty people but not very many. I call them the Princess Sourpusses because they alway seem to have a disgusted look on their faces. Anymore I just laugh in the face of people like that; I just don't get how someone can be having such a lousy time on a fabulous cruise. Let me put it this way, I think we could be mistaken for classy people but we sure did "let our hair down" and had our most fun cruise ever earlier this month...and we were not alone. Again though, the human factor either makes or breaks any cruise. The ship, its showrooms, discos, kids places, pools, etc don't change. Its the crew and passengers that are the variable.

Robby- No way you would make a Princess Sourpuss, you've got too much good Carnival blood in you.

Daynab- On paper the kids program on Princess looks comparable to Carnival which surprised me. I think Carnival probably still rules this area as Camp Carnival is pretty hard to beat but Princess looks close. Where they, like Carnival, are lacking is in activities to attract and hold mid to late teens, the ones that end up running amok in the hallways at 3AM. Some day, some cruise line will get serious about that age group and design a program that's "cool" enough for them to want to be in it. Waiting around for the parents to put a leash on thier out-of-control 17 year old is stupid, it's just not going to happen. Luckily that bunch is in the minority on both lines. I'd have to give Princess the edge on having a slightly smaller gang of hoodlums, but not much more than that. I've heard the same stories and seen the same gangs of kids on both lines....I think they have a season pass and just go from one ship/line to the next.

To be specific about younger kids, No, I did not talk to any of them. But I didn't really see any kids, except for infants, on deck or in public areas. I took that as a sign that they'd either locked them away or found something compelling for them to do. Or maybe both?

Chris

I have been reasearching a cruise for 2006. I know Carnival is not what I want to do for Alaska. And I have tried Royal. But after reading your reviews on Princess I am leaning very heavily towards that line for my birthday bash.

I am still trying to figure out how the PC dining works. Can you make reservations one at a time? I read where people get onbaord then make all their reservations.

Honest opinion-- what is better--PC or traditional?

Chris

I have been reasearching a cruise for 2006. I know Carnival is not what I want to do for Alaska. And I have tried Royal. But after reading your reviews on Princess I am leaning very heavily towards that line for my birthday bash.

I am still trying to figure out how the PC dining works. Can you make reservations one at a time? I read where people get onbaord then make all their reservations.

Honest opinion-- what is better--PC or traditional?

Sure you can make them one at a time....and that's just what I would do. We made reservations for the whole week on embarkation day and then spent the rest of the week cancelling them and making other arrangements. It seemed like a good plan but once aboard we met a bunch of really nice people and we wanted to eat with them. That's something that never happened to us before although I read here of people that just love that. We always reserved a table for our party and that was it.

Personal Choice or Traditional?

For me it's Personal Choice all the way, no question about it.

On our first Princess cruise we were on a waiting list and I thought we lost out because we did not get traditional. Wrong. Personal Choice offers the flexibility to go eat at any number of places including dining rooms that have the exact same menu as traditional dining. In those dining rooms everything is the same except that people come and go when they want to rather than being tied down to a particular seating.

I never thought much of that until I did it but having the flexibility is a real plus. It's not a choice of the traditional dining room or a buffet; there's more to it than that. On the Caribbean Princess that we sailed earlier this month, for example, here are the "choices" of Personal Choice:

Quick_Reference_Dining_Guide.jpg

Here's a page on our website that compares Carnival and Princess dining options:

Carnival vs. Princess Dining Options

Hmmm I just checked out your link to the PC options. That looks really interesting and enticing. The movies under the stars also looks interesting. As my kids get older Princess is definitely for us. My dh and I like to just relax on a cruise. My youngest loves Camp and my oldest loves waterslide/eating what he wants when he wants/video games..etc... We don't do shows for the most part. However the movie thing really interests us. Hmmmm.....We are booked on the Miracle next. I am going to have to save up some personal days so we can go during other times besides school breaks...ugh!

Chris your reviews have certainly made Princess appealing. Please think about trying RCI Voyager class. That way I will know what to expect! ;)

One quick question:If you are not traditional dining, do you still do formal???We don't care for buffets for dinner. However lugging formal night clothes for 4 is just not very appealing anymore.

We're just the opposite-trying Carnival for the first time in November. Chris-what a fun review you and your daughter wrote. The 2x on Princess our CD was Graham Seymour who is top notch. On our last cruise on Navigator of the Seas the CD wasn't very visible-or memorable. We also had James Michael comedian/magician. Was Channel #5 and Stinky with him? If anyone has Graham as there CD on Princess, DON'T MISS PUB NIGHT!!!

One quick question:If you are not traditional dining, do you still do formal???We don't care for buffets for dinner. However lugging formal night clothes for 4 is just not very appealing anymore.

Yes, and that was awkward for me to a certain extent. I DO dress up for formal night. While on Carnival it may have been the nice thing to do, on Princess it is the expected thing to do. In other words, formal night is more dressy and more people stay in formal wear for the evening.

That was so wierd to me because I am used to coming back to the cabin right after dinner and changing back into shorts or something casual. Lots of people, including Sydney, stayed formal for the night which I just didn't feel like doing so I went back to the cabin, ordered a tub of beer, sat and watched the ocean roll by.

But that's me

I really try to get with the program of whatever is going on. On Carnival and Princess alike I always dressed for formal night, usually a dark suit (like I have a fabulous wardrobe from which to choose) until our first Princess cruise. After that I bought a tux online through e-bay because it just seemed like the thing to do to be with the program.

That I could do...staying formal for the night? Forget it.

Next time I think I'm not going to care about that, change into casual clothes and hit the disco...they'll live. I won't be alone.

But yes, formal night is formal night on the ship, moreso than Carnival and I think that has both positive and negative implications. Formal night purists will love it, people that don't like to dress up or lug the formal wear along will not like it much and might feel out of place to a certain extent...depending on the person I suppose.

I know one of my daughters would board our Carnival ship, take her shoes off and leave them off except for dinner. That would not have been appropriate on Princess (or so she felt).

If that's a good or bad thing is up to you.

Archived