Pride 12/16 to 12/23 what to do in St Thomas?

SchnauzerPup

We are on the Pride Caribbean Yacht Havens II again this year. Had a very pleasant cruise last year except St. Thomas. We are really not interested in shopping so I am looking for ideas. I was thinking of chartering a sailboat for a tour but I am not sure there is enough time in port (8AM-1PM and clearing customs took a while last year). I am sure someone here can recommend something fun and away from the crowds and aggressive vendors.

A morning at Magen's Bay for a relaxing swim wouldn't be such a bad thing. Also, if you are into fish, believe it or not, Coral World is pretty interesting and there is a small beach next door. After that, with limited time and it being too early for lunch, I vote for a deck chair and a mojito. (St. Thomas is not my favorite port!)

• 3 weeks later...

SchnauzerPup,

We just booked the 12/16 cruise and, believe it or not, we were also on the same cruise in '05. I wonder how many others from last year will be aboard? We chose it again because of the combination of sea days and two excellent ports (St. Barths and Virgin Gorda). The half day in St. Thomas seems to me to be an afterthought. There's really not enough time to venture too far from the pier. Last year after a couple of hours walking around crowded Charlotte Amalie with its Tanzanite peddlers, I was ready for the 2 1/2 days at sea.

We are considering the submarine shore excursion. Has anyone done this one?

johnny

johnnycruise

I am thinking of booking one of the March cruises out of St. Thomas, the main problem with St. Thomas is the number of cruise ships in port on any day. Was there any problems getting to the ship from the airport.

SchnauzerPup

If you rent a car you can go to

Mountain Top

At 1542 feet above sea level, the summit of St. Peter Mountain is the highest point on St. Thomas. Mountain Top, also known as Signal Hill, was used in the 1940s by the U.S. government as a strategic communications location. Mountain Top is a scenic overlook that houses shops, a dining area and bar and of course a balcony for taking in the breathtaking view of Drake's passage, the British Virgin Islands and beautiful Magens Bay. Mountain Top holds the title for having the original and best banana daiquiris on the island.

Good place for pictures and a drink..

I am thinking of booking one of the March cruises out of St. Thomas, the main problem with St. Thomas is the number of cruise ships in port on any day. Was there any problems getting to the ship from the airport.

There really aren't any problems getting from the airport to the ship in St. Thomas. If your cruise departs from Crown Bay pier, the airport is less than five minutes away. If your cruise departs from Havensight pier, it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 40 minutes depending on the traffic. You can check www.cruisecal.com to see how much competition for docking space you'll have on your date. I noticed when the cruise we booked arrives in Fort Lauderdale on 12/23 we will be one of ten ships that day:eek:

johnny

The one thing about the taxis in St Thomas is that there is an effort to plug you into the next cab with others, not necessarily going to the same place. One has to be really specific about that if you don't want others in your cab. This is a big thing at the airport, naturally. It's usually a van. However, it is more expensive.

Jane in PHL

• 3 weeks later...

Archived