Question About the Roads

marciew

My husband & I will be in Dominica on 11/2/06 during our Crown Princess cruise. We would love to take a tour with either Reyno or Beno but I'm a little worried about the roads. From what I understand, this island is gorgeous but very mountainous & I have a slight fear of heights. When we were in St. Thomas, we took a tour that went way up to the top of the mountain & the roads were extremely steep, windy & very narrow with sheer drop offs on either side. I was so petrified that we were going to fall off the road that I couldn't even look at the gorgeous scenery! Does anyone know if it's the same type of drive to the major attractions in Dominica? Thanks for your help!

Sorry Marcie, but Yes, that would be correct. Is there anything that helps you calm down at all ?? I'd hate to see you miss this island beauty, cuz the port area won't really give you any sense of the island at all.

Maybe contact Reyno Tours or Beno and find out if there is a special tour they could provide your family that will still show some beauty, but will also keep you at a level you're comfortable with??? Good Luck :)

I have Reynold's email address, but not Beno's for you: reynotours@hotmail.com

Yep the roads are steep and winding and they drive on the wrong side of the road - FAST. Unfortunately I was sitting in the front seat with the driver. I suggest sitting in the back of the van! The scenery was beautiful. Maybe you could wear a sack over your head and look at the pictures when you get back.:D

Debbie

The roads are narrow with lots of curves, so be sure to book a known driver. We used Beno and he was VERY safe and did not drive fast at all. Even the people who usually get a little car sick did ok because Beno stopped a lot to explain things along the way. I would highly recommend him. Here is is contact info: Augustine Pascal , 39 Solomon Lane, Goodwill, Dominica. Email: benox265@hotmail.com. Tele: 1(767) 235-2625 or 1(767) 448-0625. I did all my arrangements through email.

I forgot to mention that the roads are also pretty wet because you this is a rainforest island and there's a bit of drizzle when you get out of town and start climbing some. No problem though with a safe responsible driver. I'd definitely stay away from any of the big tour buses though.

After about 20 minutes of riding around this place, the roadside beerstands were looking pretty good. Calm the nerves, you know. Of course I had to put on a brave face in front of the ladies, but at the same time I'd be looking over my left shoulder at about 18 inches of ground and sheer green drop that you just know they'd never find you at if you drove off. I have some great pics!

http://www.fujifilm.net/share/guest_enter.asp?id=299867&sid=312822

Uhhh Boyyyy...I hadn't even thought of this. I am sure the angst will build.

For all of you with this fear conquer it (or at least confront it)

I took a motorcycle trip this summer into Montana, Wyoming and South Dakota. The Beartooth Mountains and the Grand Tetons. We had many mountain climbs to over 12,000 feet. I had my wife on the back for her first long distance trip. I have a real fear of heights but am sooo glad we took this trip. The pictures and memories are forever. The fear is long gone.

Dominica will be the same and I am sure just as worth it.

Tom, you will never be sorry you took a tour in Dominica. The views are just wonderful. I would definitely use a safe, well-established tour guide such as Beno. I answered another thread regarding insurance, etc. of drivers in Dominca. This was my reply:

I don't know about Reyno, but I know for sure that Beno only uses certified drivers (including himself). For a driver to be certified, they must be licensed and insured, among other requirements. He is very serious about this and doesn't take ANYTHING for granted. He's the safest driver I've ever encountered on the many tours I've taken. And with the roads so narrow and twisty in Dominica, that's a really important factor.

Tom, like you stated before, you will remember this experience long after the fear is forgotten.

OK........now that we have poor marcie scared to death, i will say, even having to endure the wet, windy, fast driving, cliffs looking straight down, driving on the wrong side of the road tours, you will not regret it one bit!

Dominica is beautiful but to see it's beauty, you have to get in a taxi or tour van.

Have a great time!

Yes, you have all succeeded in scaring me to death! Now I have a few more questions. If we just go to Trafalgar Falls, how bad would that ride be? Isn't it very close to Roseau where the ships dock so it can't be too much driving? Or is that a short but very steep & winding route? And what about Sulphur Springs? Princess has an excursion that goes to both of these. Or does anyone have any other suggestions of not-to-be-missed scenery that's not too steep & windy?

Even though Trafalger and other beautiful spots aren't too far, you will still have some steep roads. I think you would be much better off using a recommended private driver like Beno instead of a large ship-sponsored bus.

For one thing, you can have him go back if you don't like it and he can tailor the tour for your interests and concerns. Also, he can stop the car whenever you are uncomfortable, or just to get some great shots of all the beautiful places you will see along the route. On a ship-sponsered tour, you have no options other than going exactly where they are scheduled. I think you would miss so many great photo ops that way.

This is one island that really is best seen on a more personal level where you can question your guide and hear his history. Keep it more personal, you won't regret it. If you want to hire Beno, here are his numbers: Augustine Pascal , 39 Solomon Lane, Goodwill, Dominica. Email: benox265@hotmail.com. Tele: 1(767) 235-2625 or 1(767) 448-0625.

Hi Marcie:)

Do not be bothered with all the :mad: negativity:mad: in the posts. There is no need to be scared. Dominica is a very mountainous island....and it is beautiful. It is only logical that the roads are windy...and the majority of them are narrow. But there is no need to be frightened. The drivers are experienced... and all tour drivers are certified. They have ID's and their vehicles are certified as well. Try bumpiing tours he takes his time to drive you. And Trafalgar fall is not to far from Roseau... But on the way there you will find the same situation with the roads.... Like I said there is no reason to be scared...just sit back relax and enjoy the ride - remove fear from your mind.

Archived