Confusion about Train runs from Skagway

kingsgirl

I was wondering if anyone could explain to me the different runs by the train leaving from Skagway.

White Pass Summit Excursion: This seems like the one they usual have run - it's round trip.

Yukon Adventure: This goes further to Carcross but it's only one way for $150?! What are you supposed to do when you get to Carcross..walk back?

This is page I got the info from: http://www.wpyr.com/schedule.html

How likely is it that a person can get a left sided seat for going up the mountain if they are only going one way? It wouldn't be worth the money if we can't have the view!

They will have bus service.

We rented a car and drove to Carcross for around $60--for four people!

We got the same great views but more freedom.

There's not much to Carcross. The only place to eat was in a gas station north of town. Maybe they will open up more with the train coming. There are already a lot of buses but all you could get to eat in town was ice cream.

The shorter train trip that everyone has been doing doesn't go very far at all. You miss a lot if you don't go further.

Try this site for combo tours:http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

As Nancy said, the cruiselines will also offer different combinations of bus/rail tours. You can also book the train r/t either directly or through the cruiseline.

Another option is to rent a car from Avis and drive the Klondike highway using Murray's guide:http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Try this site for combo tours:http://www.skagwaysbesttour.com/

As Nancy said, the cruiselines will also offer different combinations of bus/rail tours. You can also book the train r/t either directly or through the cruiseline.

Another option is to rent a car from Avis and drive the Klondike highway using Murray's guide:http://www.explorenorth.com/library/roads/sklondike-photos1.html

Do you know what the prices for any of these are or how they work? I tried emailing last week but I never heard back from anyone regarding prices, tickets (how do we get them etc) and if it includes transportation back (Yukon Rail and Bus doesn't not say there is return, I assume there is but you never know). :confused:

Thanks to everyone who has been posting!

Do you know what the prices for any of these are or how they work? I tried emailing last week but I never heard back from anyone regarding prices, tickets (how do we get them etc) and if it includes transportation back (Yukon Rail and Bus doesn't not say there is return, I assume there is but you never know). :confused:

Thanks to everyone who has been posting!

Yes, there is a return included. The Rail and Bus is the rail up and bus down or vice/versa. I have not taken any of these tours, but others have given them good reviews as they give you kind of the best of both worlds by seeing the White Pass by train(better sceneary and neat history) but also allowing you to see Emerald Lake and the Yukon.

I believe others said that the bus/rail to Emerald Lake tour cost around $158 this year, a little less for childern. Maybe try e-mailing again or calling? Renting a car costs around $50-$80 if you use that option. There are discounts available by signing up with the Alaska Preffered Renters program through avisalaska.com.

Yes, there is a return included. The Rail and Bus is the rail up and bus down or vice/versa. I have not taken any of these tours, but others have given them good reviews as they give you kind of the best of both worlds by seeing the White Pass by train(better sceneary and neat history) but also allowing you to see Emerald Lake and the Yukon.

I believe others said that the bus/rail to Emerald Lake tour cost around $158 this year, a little less for childern. Maybe try e-mailing again or calling? Renting a car costs around $50-$80 if you use that option. There are discounts available by signing up with the Alaska Preffered Renters program through avisalaska.com.

There is more than just the Rail Up/Bus Down (or vice versa) tour though and they do not specify a return to Skagway such as the Yukon Bus and Rail which travels up to Carcross/Emerald Lake. They just do not specify they bring you back or any prices. I really wish I knew for sure but I just can't find out :(

Archived