Suggestions for Caribbean shore excursions with a 7 month old

Rich&Natalia

We are taking our 7 month old on a cruise at the end of the month. Below are some of our ports of call, and we are looking for some suggestions on what to do at these stops. We are looking for excursions that use air-conditioned vans/buses for transportation and also will provide opportunities to breastfeed. Please let us know if you've been on excursions that fit the bill.

Cozumel

Costa Maya

George Town

Ocho Rios

Thanks in advance,

Rich

We brought our 7 month old on RCCL in May and it went to Cozumel, Caymen and Aruba. In Cozumel we took a taxi(air conditioned) to Playa Mia Beach club. It was $10 each way plus $10 admission to use their facilities(baby was free). They have a great outdoor covered sitting area/restaurant, a pool, beach, beach activities. DD loved the water and the beach (first time for her). She loved exploring the sand etc. The area was very child friendly, large bathrooms with benches, stroller could maneuver everywhere except the sand. We loved it. There were many other familes with babies there. In Cayman we just walked around and had lunch at an outdoor restaurant while DD slept in her stroller. We tried to keep pretty much everything low-key. We were afraid to take any tours for fear DD would scream and riun everyone's tour.

Thanks for the info. I think we'll be looking at beaches too. We had been to Paradise Beach at Cozumel before (a lot like Playa Mia) and may do the same thing this year. Most of the stuff we look at seem too dangerous or out in the sun too long, or otherwise somehow not appropriate for our daughter. I guess it'll be short sessions of beaches and shopping for us.

Hi - We are traveling the end of this month on rccl explorer - to the western carrib. As far as I can see we will be doing beach trips with our DD - We plan on bringing a pop up tent - it's a small one but one that she can lay in when were at the beach. I have scoured the message boards for places where you can take a baby - that will be enjoyable for you but safe for the baby and so far everyone is in agreement that a beach is the best place to go. I would reccomend taking your own transportation alot of the beach breaks are what look like a pickup trucks with 4 rows of seats -- meaning no air conditioning- and they have a hard roof over you but it's like an open air vehicle. And the with some of the tours the times are set for drop off at the beach and pick up to take you back to the ship - so just be careful and make sure you can get back to the ship if the baby has had enough and you need to return sooner. Good Luck and Happy Sailing.

We are taking our 11.5 month old on FOS leaving 10/15. In Cozumel we are taking a tender to Cancun for some shopping (been to Cozumel twice pre-baby and want to show DH Cancun). This excursion says it is a go at your own pace kind of thing. So that is what we are going to do.

In Cayman - we are taking a two hour highlight bus tour with a stop in "Hell" and the Turtle Farm. Then we will shop a bit and hit 7 mile beach.

My one tough decision is what to do in Jamaica. Baed on what I have read on these boards we need to do a planned excursion or not get off the ship. If it were just me and DH, I would do the tubing or hike the Falls and not worry about the pushy vendors and people pushing the drugs. But since we have her, I was thinking the Best of jamiaca Tour sounded good (a bit of everything) but am concerened about the length - approx. 8 hours. It may be too long a day for her plus we are only in port 9 hours - that might be cutting it close. Just not sure yet.

We go to Labadee and that is just a lounging beach day for us.

Hope this helps.

Archived