Thinking about the MAASDAM to Canada Aug '07

DisneyGirl715

I am thinking of booking my family (husband, 13 year-old girl, 11 year-old boy) on the Maasdam next summer from Boston to Canada and this seems like the best place to ask my questions. We've been on the Disney Wonder, NCL Pride of Aloha, and Carnival Fascination(?) before and really like cruising. My husband and I are in our early 40's and live in a suburb of Boston. We're not much into beaches and water sports, but we do like to explore new places and expose the kids to different cultures. OK, these are my questions (for now):

1. Is there enough for the kids on the ship?

2. If we do book, we'll probably book a suite. I don't want the kids in a separate room. Is there any difference between the suites or doesn't it matter?

3. Where's the best spot for early dinner? Upper or lower? Should we request any table, waiter, etc? Maybe too early for this.

4. Are there any excursions that anyone would recommend that are kid-friendly (read: not boring for pre-teens!)?

Any help would be much apprecated! I loved reading the ship reviews-I've already learned so much!

DisneyGirl715

I am thinking of booking my family (husband, 13 year-old girl, 11 year-old boy) on the Maasdam next summer from Boston to Canada and this seems like the best place to ask my questions. We've been on the Disney Wonder, NCL Pride of Aloha, and Carnival Fascination(?) before and really like ... we do like to explore new places and expose the kids to different cultures. OK, these are my questions (for now):

1. Is there enough for the kids on the ship?

2. If we do book, we'll probably book a suite. I don't want the kids in a separate room. Is there any difference between the suites or doesn't it matter?

3. Where's the best spot for early dinner? Upper or lower? Should we request any table, waiter, etc? Maybe too early for this.

4. Are there any excursions that anyone would recommend that are kid-friendly (read: not boring for pre-teens!)?

We did this trip last year and really enjoyed it. Check out

Canada cruise

for our pics and report. The full suites are wonderful but very expensive. I think a Junior suite or even a balcony quad would be OK for your family if cost is an issue.

This is a pretty port intensive cruise. There weren't many kids aboard when we did it, but for the small amount of time you are on the ship I think the kids will do OK in Club HAL. It won't compare to the kid's programs on Carnival, though.

I would especially recommend the Lulu Lobster Boat in Bar Harbor for the kids. There is a link on my page. I think they would enjoy seeing the seals and the lobsters. Also, they would probably do OK with the Highland Village in Nova Scotia. Green Gables on PEI has a movie and some interesting farm stuff that they would probably enjoy too. But it would definitely be an experience in new cultures more than a fun trip for kids!

Have a GREAT cruise!

DisneyGirl

Talk about timing.... we are booked on a boston to montreal sailing next summer with our 12 and 10 yr old daughters (that's how old they will be next summer) and my wife's concern as well will there be enough for them to do in port. We are past HAL cruisers having sailed the Carib and Alaska with HAL so we are familiar with HAL. Our two DD's much prefer HAL's kids programs vs RC, Carnival and Celebrity - the lower numbers of kids -and the more one on one with the counselers. They prefer being in a group of 5-10 then 40-50. I agree that the cruise is port intensive and our two love "active" excursions vs sightseeing and museams - so we are also wondering are there enough "active" excursions. So those who have sailed this route with their children - would love to hear about your experiences!

Disney girl - what sailing are you lokoing at?

We did this trip last year and really enjoyed it. Check out

Canada cruise

for our pics and report. The full suites are wonderful but very expensive. I think a Junior suite or even a balcony quad would be OK for your family if cost is an issue.

This is a pretty port intensive cruise. There weren't many kids aboard when we did it, but for the small amount of time you are on the ship I think the kids will do OK in Club HAL. It won't compare to the kid's programs on Carnival, though.

I would especially recommend the Lulu Lobster Boat in Bar Harbor for the kids. There is a link on my page. I think they would enjoy seeing the seals and the lobsters. Also, they would probably do OK with the Highland Village in Nova Scotia. Green Gables on PEI has a movie and some interesting farm stuff that they would probably enjoy too. But it would definitely be an experience in new cultures more than a fun trip for kids!

Have a GREAT cruise!

Mike-

Thank you for all the info - I enjoyed reading your cruise pages - when my kids are out on their own, I want to cruise like you guys!

DisneyGirl

Talk about timing.... we are booked on a boston to montreal sailing next summer with our 12 and 10 yr old daughters (that's how old they will be next summer) and my wife's concern as well will there be enough for them to do in port. We are past HAL cruisers having sailed the Carib and Alaska with HAL so we are familiar with HAL. Our two DD's much prefer HAL's kids programs vs RC, Carnival and Celebrity - the lower numbers of kids -and the more one on one with the counselers. They prefer being in a group of 5-10 then 40-50. I agree that the cruise is port intensive and our two love "active" excursions vs sightseeing and museams - so we are also wondering are there enough "active" excursions. So those who have sailed this route with their children - would love to hear about your experiences!

Disney girl - what sailing are you lokoing at?

BobMartha

What a coincidence! I'm looking at the August 18 sailing. And you?

DisneyGirl

Same with us. We are booked in a category s for the 4 of us.

Several yrs ago (on the maasdam as a matter of fact) we booked a category s and there has been no going back to a smaller cabin (space wise)- esp for the 4 of us...and having the neptune lounge and all the perks of a s cabin helps as well!;)

did you look at the shore excursions on the HAL site for the sailing?

Since HAL has 4 dining times - we booked 8 which is upper. We found that 5:45 is way to early for us and 6 was always a rush this past cruise to get dressed , have a drink at a longe first and then dinner - it was always such a rush. 7 would be perfect - so 8 is a good compromise for us. It does cut into the club hal evening activities which usually start at 7:30 but I told the girls you can get there at 9 worse case and hang out for a little while. Since it is a port intensive cruise - I'd rather not have to worry about making 6 o'clock dinner each night.

I agree, it would be nice to eat at 7 or 7:30, as 8:00 is too late for my son. I believe there is a 6:15 seating, which will give us a few extra minutes.

The only shore excursions I've looked into so far are the double-decker bus tour with the stops in Halifax and the "Black Gold" mine tour in Sydney.

We also want to spend a few days in Montreal at the end, so we'll have to look into that also. I don't know if it's worth booking a land extension with HAL or if we should just book on our own.

I also agree about the room. We got spoiled on the Pride of Aloha suite! Which suite are you in?

You asked about the suites on the Maasdam -- they are all the same size and shape.

Going with a teenage boy and teenage girl, you will need to request that the main king size bed be made into twin beds and your DH and you will have to sleep on the fold -out queen size sofa bed.

We can't get a roll-away bed for one of the kids?

Disney

They do not offer rollaways. The sofa opens up to a full bed - so depending on your kids this may work. I know my girls are younger and they are fine sharing the full. We are booked in cabin 009

We'll be spending a few days in boston prior to leaving - doing the tourist thing! since we have never been to Boston...so I may hit you up for a few good restaurants suggestions...it seems whenever we travel pre cruise the restaurants are always the weak spot for us - we never seem to hit the good spots in terms of great food!

We have not booked any tours yet - but are looking at the horseback riding in Quebec (am) and then thinking of just walking around in the afternoon. Sydney - Fortress for sure - maybe the interactive tour.

Keep in mind w/Club Hal - because of the ages your two will be in different age groups - tweens (8-12) and teens (13-17)

Right - no roll away beds.

And I don't think you want an 11 year old boy sleeping with a 13 year old girl.

Guess you could still make this work ... you do have options. Mom and dad sleep in the sofa bed, and then break the main bed into singles for the kids. Not necessarily the ideal solution, but at least it will allow you to get four in the same cabin.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's a lot of $$$ to spend for me and my husband to sleep on a pull-out couch! Maybe we'll look into 2 separate rooms instead.:confused:

Yeah, you could almost get two standard verandah cabins for the price of one suite. Your family would be much more comfortable that way. Some of the Verandah cabins are joined. Talk to your TA and see about getting two that have a door between them.

Archived