Orlando airport/Port Canaveral transportation questions

polly57

I will be taking my mom on her first cruise in January. She has a heart condition and can't walk long distances. I've never been to the Orlando airport. Is it a large airport that will require her to do a lot of walking? If so, I will need to get her a wheelchair.

Normally I would just take the Carnival transportation from the airport to the port but since we will be arriving a day before our cruise I'm trying to figure out the easiest thing for us to do that will require the least amount of walking. Should we get a hotel near the airport and then return the next day to the airport to take the Carnival transportation to the port or would it be easier to get a hotel near the port? Any advice on hotels or transportation would be greatly apprecitated!!

Yes, the Orlando airport is big, so if your mom can't do distances, ask the airline for wheelchair assistance. But even more important, cruise ships are very big and if your mom can't do distances you should consider renting a wheelchair or scooter for the cruise. A scooter would give her more independnce, but would not work for tendered shore excursions and some Caribbean destinations (a manual wheelchair is better for these). You can rent from Care Vacations and they will deliver it to the ship, and when you leave you can just leave it there.

Personally I'd pick a hotel near the port. Some have cruise packages and they even have shuttle service to the port. It doesn't sound like you need accessible transportation, so you have a lot of options. When you get to the pier, you can get dropped off near the boarding area and then request a wheelchair for your mom (to board the ship).

Many of the Cocoa Beach hotels are reasonably priced and offer cruise packages.

Candy

Thanks for the great advice Candy!! I will definitely request the wheelchair at the airport and I think I will get her a scooter as well. She will probably be opposed to it at first but it will give her so much more mobility around the ship. I was already getting nervous about how I was going to get her to and from the muster drill. It's tough because she doesn't look handicapped, and I was concerned about them not letting her use the elevators and having a place to sit. The scooter would solve that problem.

Anyone out there used a scooter on the Sensation?

I have used Tiffany Town Cars.com for transportation from the Orlando airport to the port. Their prices are very reasonable and their service is impeccable! They will meet you at the luggage pick-up and stop for a grocery stop if you like. When you return they will pick you up right at the ship.

Archived