Prepaying for soda?

There's been many posts about this for several cruise lines. Some think it's ok, some think is unethical. My take is that for $6, for what the cruise line pays for bulk soda, only buy one. I buy the card because my wife drinks a lot of club soda. I might have a coke from time to time, but not enough to cough up another $6/day. They make more than enough from us on the bar bill, so I have no guilt about being parsimonious about the soda card.

If you want to have a soda and don't have a card, you don't HAVE to "cough up" another $6/day. All you'll have to pay is about $1.80 :rolleyes:

###

There's been many posts about this for several cruise lines. Some think it's ok, some think is unethical. My take is that for $6, for what the cruise line pays for bulk soda, only buy one. I buy the card because my wife drinks a lot of club soda. I might have a coke from time to time, but not enough to cough up another $6/day. They make more than enough from us on the bar bill, so I have no guilt about being parsimonious about the soda card.

First, the soda cards are never worth the pure cost of the card. What does justify the expense is the benefit of speedy service at the bars, dining room and in the theatre. All you need to do is flash the card and order your soda. If you don't have the card then you must wait for the transaction to be rung up and posted to your sign and sail card.

The card allows you to also get juices at the bars after exercise in the mornings. We use them to get pineapple juice and fruit juices during the day, and after our morning run.

The theatre and the dining room beverage service also make it easy, as your dining waiter will have your soda waiting for you each evening after you show the card to he/she and place your order the first night.

Ask yourself a question based on the logic from the response above. Let's say you and a friend go to a buffet and both of you are not very hungry. Can you and that friend go through the line one at a time, and then justify that you ate only as much as one hungry person? If you can live with that answer then do what you wish...

Finally, the cost of the actual soda is a fraction of the expense of serving a drink to cruise passengers. The shipping costs, human costs of labor involved and the entire expense result in only a small profit for the cruise line.

A Tylenol costs about $2 at one of my hospitals by the time it gets to a patient. The difference is the expense of handling, dispensing and human cost to get it to the floor.

Why not grab a few extra photos, I know they only cost a few cents to print, and you can save $20 for each one you take. I mean, my photo bills are so expensive and all...

Archived