Radiance ships' "bump out"

This has probably been posted before, but I can't find the thread. This will be our first cruise with RCI and we noticed the Radiance Ship family has a "bump out" in the middle of the ship. What kind of effect does this have on cabin selections? In other words, are cabins in the "bump" better and/or does not "bump" obstruct the views of the other cabins along the side? We are planning to sail on the "Jewel of the Seas" and wanted to consider your opinions for cabin selection.

We were in a suite on the bump on Brilliance. The one thing I noticed was that we could be seen by lots of folks from their balconies - and we could see into their balsonies as well. Certainly, we could not see 100% of anyone's balcony, but some of them, we could see more than half. We did enjoy the cabin, however,

We had cabin 9092 on Brilliance, which is on the bump. Loved the cabin, and would book her again in a second. Midship convenience, plus the balcony was around 3 times as long as normal. I talk about it in my review (link below), and I also have a link to some pix in my sig.

[quote name='Keisele']This has probably been posted before, but I can't find the thread. This will be our first cruise with RCI and we noticed the Radiance Ship family has a "bump out" in the middle of the ship. What kind of effect does this have on cabin selections? In other words, are cabins in the "bump" better and/or does not "bump" obstruct the views of the other cabins along the side? We are planning to sail on the "Jewel of the Seas" and wanted to consider your opinions for cabin selection.[/QUOTE]
I´ve been on the Jewel in May/June on deck 10.
The bump surely obstructs the view of the other cabins. A cabin forward of the bump can´t look back to the back of the ship. Their view ends at the bump looking straight back. The same for cabins back of the bump when looking forward. Another point with balcony cabins is that most balconies can´t look straight down to the water. If you lean over the railing you look at the white roof that covers the life boat (didn´t really disturbed me).
Yarlenna is right with her remark concerning privacy on the balcony. I read here many times the bump balconies would have more privacy, but from what I saw this is not the case. The view goes always in both directions. If choosing a cabin on the bump I would choose one in the middle.
I had a look at the cabin next to mine (I had 1552 and I looked at 1554, which is one on the bump).
Because of the other layout of the cabin I found the one on the bump being smaller than mine and I wouldn´t say that the balcony was larger in this case.
Cabin location is great of course. You are in the middle of everything, very convinient. Don´t be afraid of noise in this area. Although the centrum area can be noisy sometimes the cabins are really good soundproofed and I never heard anything in the cabin after closing the cabin door.

You can find some pictures that might be helpful i making your decision at my website. (Use the link in the signature)

Archived