Just back from Alaska - Serenade 7/04/04

laurieny

Just a quick post before leaving for work (ugh!). We got great advice on our excursions from this board and would love to answer any questions we could from our experience. We rented a car in Skagway and drove to Emerald Lake, went whale watching with Captain Larry in Juneau and flew over the Misty Fiords with Michelle from Island Wings in Ketchikan. All were excellent choices!

-Laurie

What a wonderful week on the SOS. If you didn't go dog sledding, you missed a once in a lifetime. We went with TEMSCO in Skagway and it was awesome. I know it's expensive but it was really fun. I almost fell off the sled when it pulled out. Those 12 dogs are really powerful. We booked our whale watching through the ship and ended up with Greg on Big Blue. We saw a lot of whales and eagles.

The only disappoint was the train ride. It was nice but I thought we would see more wildlife.

All in all a great week of sun. We have been on 7 cruises now and it has NEVER RAINED.

Maestra

Krazy Kruisers,

Thanks for the welcome home. And yes Alaska is absolutely gorgeous. I hope to get a link posted to some of our pictures (I took almost 1000-gotta love digital) this weekend when I have some time. I have now decided that we need to win the lottery and build a home in the Caribbean for winter and spring and a home in Alaska for summer and fall. ;)

Sherrylynn,

I am so sorry I didn't get to Schooners at 1 but with the glacier coming up it completely slipped my mind til later that day. That was just an awesome sight, but I do so enjoy meeting fellow cruisers so I was a bit disappointed when I realized the time. Maybe our paths will cross on another cruise.

Maestra,

You certainly lead a charmed life in the weather department. I was so pleased we had such good weather for this trip. And I have to admit we really wanted to do the dog sledding in Skagway, but as Grandma wouldn't have been able to do that we opted for the less intense drive. However, we thoroughly enjoyed it and following Yukon's guided tour. Gail at Cinnamon Cache was out of buns when we got there though. I guess we will just have to go to Alaska another time, darn!

-Laurie

Archived