Please help! Formal/informal for toddlers

I originally posted this question under family cruising but haven't had any responses. Please help! We leave in two weeks.

What clothing is appropriate for formal and informal nights? I bought my 3 year old sons blue blazers for formal night. Do they need to wear ties as well?
What should they wear on informal nights? Can they wear "dress shorts" with a dress shirt or polo?

How about on shore? Can they wear shorts in churches? In general?

barbara

The blue blazers sound great! Your boys will be adorable! I think most people make allowances for toddlers, but why not add little bow ties as long as they have the jackets. As long as they aren't too tight they shouldn't be uncomfortable and the look is great! At this age I think shorts would be fine with a dress shirt for informal night--knee socks look great with this look. If they will wear the tie, go for it on informal as well. Of course, long pants would be appropriate, too. People are bound to comment on how cute they look and they will enjoy the attention. (It might even stick with them as a positive experience to remember as they get older! :p ) And your photos will look super!! It's so nice to see someone making an effort and not whining about what is the minimum they can get by with as far as dressing for formal night!!

I think shorts will be okay on shore as well, even in churches considering their age.

Have a fabulous time and enjoy your cruise!! :)

Melody

Thank you for your help! I really needed to know what they could wear on other nights besides formal night so I know what to take. We lead very casual lifestyles and spend the summer in shorts and t-shirt. I didn't want to buy or take more than we need to have so your tips and advice were just what I was I needed.

barbara

Your toddlers could probably wear just about anything any night of your cruise.
The dress code is not meant for babies or toddlers. It is cute though and makes great pics when they are all dressed up but no they are not required to wear ties and jackets!

My son was not quite 3 when we took our first cruise. I found a cute jacket/bow tie and dressy shorts set that looked to adorable on him. Everyone raved and he really enjoyed being the center of attention. I later found a cute suit on ebay that he used on other cruises -- got lots of attention and lots of great pictures. I also found some really cheap suits and dress shirt/tie/vest/pant outfits at JCPenney's. Hope that helps! Remember, the dress code is for adults/kids, not babies/toddlers. I have to tell you that he remembers dressing up and still likes to put on a suit and go out. Some things that seem insignificant can be the beginning of a lifelong passion. :)

The little ones will be cute and acceptable in whatever they wear!

When my son was 4 we took him cruising and for formal night he wore these cute white and black (tiny) check pants....came w/bright red suspenders and a bright red bow tie...we added a white shirt of course and heads just turned as he walked into the captain's cocktail party - of course we have great family pics as well. Furthermore, all the pretty young things on the ship (and I'm talking 20 yr olds) were quite enthralled w/him and kept him busy all night (dancing w/him no less!)...while his Dad and I enjoyed our own spins on the dance floor.

He is 18 now and would probably appreciate all that female attention even more right now! :D :D

We are about to take our toddler on his third cruise. Last year we bought him a navy blazer with "room to grow" and he will be able to wear it again this year. We also found little ties on sale at Dillards that zip up on the skinny part underneath, so they are quite adjustable and comfortable. A lot of people on the boards have complained about dressing up a toddler, but our cruise pictures look GREAT.

On less formal nights, he wears khaki pants and hawaiian shirts. I think Tommy Hilfiger has a few on sale right now. Also you might consider polo style shirts. Some advice: since kids this age are notoriously messy, we would put a clean shirt on for dinner, and have him wear it the next day if it was only slightly trashed.

One other thing, make sure YOUR formal clothing isn't anything that can be pulled down or seriously damaged by a toddler, or have your spouse handle him that night.

Archived