Private Licensed Guide for Acropolis

We'll be stopping in Athens next summer. We're thinking about taking the train from Piraeus to the Acropolis and arranging for a private licensed guide to meet us there. Has anyone ever tried this? Does anyone have any suggestions on a guide? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good Acropolis guide book? Thanks!!

Frederick

It depends how crazy you are. I can not help the completely sane, but if you are merely boardline, Architecture and Meaning on the Athenian Acropolis by R. Rhodes is good. If you are completely insane, I can recommend my favorite tome on the subject:

The Athenian Acropolis: History, Mythology, and Archaeology from the Neolithic Era to the Present by Jeffrey M. Hurwit or the shorter version of the same work:

The Acropolis in the Age of Pericles

For a simple guidebook, it is hard to beat Lonely Planet's Athens book.

For a guide: You might consider: http://www.athenswalkingtours.gr/tour01.html

This is the Acropolis tour run by Athens Walking Tours. Not private, but well done and samll groups only (no cast of thousands).

I have not used the following, but a friend told me it was well done:

http://www.travelswithfriends.com/Private_Driver-Guides_in_Greece.htm

If you change your arrival to January, I'll be there and offer a tour of the acropolis in exchange for a coffee. :)

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the great info. The books look great (especially the INSANE one), though I'm not sure how practical it would be to take what is in effect a textbook to the site (and on the plane!!). From a practical viewpoint (if that's possible), which book would you pick if you wanted to know about what you were seeing? I'll check out the walking tours too. Thanks!!

Frederick

Paul,

Thanks for the great info. The books look great (especially the INSANE one), though I'm not sure how practical it would be to take what is in effect a textbook to the site (and on the plane!!). From a practical viewpoint (if that's possible), which book would you pick if you wanted to know about what you were seeing? I'll check out the walking tours too. Thanks!!

Frederick

Frederick:

My method when going to a "site" for the first time is to read up on it at home first (hence the insane and boardline suggestions - check the local library). The Lonely Planet guide is actually well done. If you have the background done, it will help you find your way around.

Archived