Carry-on question

croozgal

When they say you're allowed one carry-on plus a smaller personal bag like a purse, lap top, etc., can the small personal bag actually be a duffel bag? DH and I are wanting to fly with all carry-ons and we can do it if these type of bags can be used as the second carry-on. I know these used to be allowed but didn't know if the new regs were really limiting that second bag. Thanks for any advice.

The way I've always seen it interpreted as: one carry on bag that will fit either under the seat or in the overhead compartment and one personal item that will fit under the seat. I usually have a rolling carryon and an over the shoulder carry bag. If at least one of your carryons will fit underneath the seat then you should be fine.

BUT, remember with the new liquid restrictions, you may have a problem using only checked bags when it comes to toiletries (unless it is a really short cruise) since each person is limited to one quart size ziploc bag worth of toiletries - that's for all liquids, gels, creams, etc that you might have.

Thanks wrp96. Actually, we are staying a few days pre and post cruise with family and intend to buy some of the toiletries when we get there. Other items will be okay in 3 oz sizes so the "one baggie of goodies" shouldn't be a problem as we each get to take a baggie! I think our duffels will fit in the seat area. Thanks again.

BUT, remember with the new liquid restrictions, you may have a problem using only checked bags when it comes to toiletries (unless it is a really short cruise) since each person is limited to one quart size ziploc bag worth of toiletries - that's for all liquids, gels, creams, etc that you might have.

I didn't realize that with your checked luggage you were limited to the amount of liquid items. Is this on the TSA website?

Globaliser,

Thanks! I went to their website and got the new info. I am so glad that they are now allowing drinks! That was so hard not to have a bottle of water on the plane and wait until they are ready to serve you for a drink.

I cannot believe that so much can change from week to week.

Croozgal, if in doubt call the Airline you are travelling with.

I called BA yesterday for other issues and was told my purse must fit into my carryon. Also, in my case, we can have no liquids at all.

I check daily for updates, so I am as best prepared as I can be.

Enjoy your holiday:)

Archived