Need recommendations for tours in Acapulco, Ixtapa/Zihuatenejo and Manzanillo

MSUcruisers

Natasha, my DH and I will be on this cruise in February and have the same question. The Carnival shore excursions seem to leave a little bit to be desired and IMHO are expensive. I am starting to think we picked the wrong itinerary as I can't find much exciting to do. I will watch your thread for responses and if I learn anything will let you know.

Natasha, my DH and I will be on this cruise in February and have the same question. The Carnival shore excursions seem to leave a little bit to be desired and IMHO are expensive. I am starting to think we picked the wrong itinerary as I can't find much exciting to do. I will watch your thread for responses and if I learn anything will let you know.

We like going off on own when we feel safe and get good recommendations from other CC members. We like to experience the cultural in the local ports. When I asked my online TA for advice on some destinations, this is what she wrote.

"Acapulco-beautiful beaches, great fishing, snorkeling and golfing.

"Manzanillo- beaches, shopping, fishing and water sports.

"Zihuatanejo-beautiful scenery, water sports, great chance to experience

local culture. Not bombarded with tourists as yet."

KP&BP, I'm sure we will all have a good time. It may just take a little more research than normal to find the right excursions. Thanks for any information you can pass along.

Natasha,

My husband and myself are also going in January. This will be our 3 rd time doing this route. We really enjoy these ports. In Acapulco we do a private tour it runs around 25.00 per person for 4 hours. They will take you to see the things you want to see. Such as Cliff divers, shopping ect. Last time we had them take us to Wal Mart to restock our water,soda, and booze supply.

In Ixtapa/Zihutanejo both times we did a ship tour. We rarely do ship tours but the 2 we did here were really wonderful. We did the City tour and then the Customs & Traditions. We like the Customs tour the best. We had a great guide. This is a tender port and when you get to the dock you can walk to the shopping area. I think we are going to do some beach time this trip. As far as Manzanillo, this is a working port lots on container ships. The first time we were here we didn't even get off the ship. I walked out on our balacony and the heat and humidy about knocked me over. Both times we have done this trip in January. The last time we rode the bus into town for 3.00 round trip and I did some shopping and my DH did some internet time for 1.00 for 1 hour. I found some good buys. We really liked this port after all. If you want to see the back country I would highly suggest you go through the ship. Any other questions I can answer please feel free to ask.

Number1cruiser

I have heard this is a good one while in Manzanillo - a bit pricey but worth it!

http://www.carnival.com/ShoreExcursionDetails.aspx?portcode=MAN&excursionname=Cuyutlan+Turtle+Experience&excursioncode=319008

In Acapulco we are going to catch a tour van and see the cliff divers and town, in Ixtapa we will probably play it by ear and head for the beach! ;)

We are also going in January 2007 on the Spirit (Jan 18....)

Not being overly adventurous, we have opted to use the ship tours to fill at least half of our time.....

We are hoping that the cliff diver/coyuca lagoon tour keeps us near Pie de la Cuesta in the evening, because the sunset there is supposed to be really nice. We heard that Su Casa was a real nice restaurant with a nice view so we're heading up there for dinner...

In Ixtapa, we're doing the city tour in the morning, and hanging out in Zihua in the afternoon.....It looks like (from maps) a town small enough to wander through and there are nice beaches easily gotten to by taxi or panga....

In Manzanillo, we were a little leery of trying to just stay in town, if it is more industrial, so we are trying the jalisco plantation tour to get out in the country a bit.......

By the way, does anyone know if there is anything in the TOWN of Manzanillo to see, or that is accessible from the ship without having to do a taxi???:confused:

Hope everyone has a great time....:)

we did this itinerary last November. See my review on the Spirit.

We loved this itinerary and love to do our own thing. We travel to Mexico quite often and don't mind taking local transit to get around. It is very very easy and you meet the nicest people.

Alcapulco -- visited the fort, and walked around, then took bus to the hotel zone, had lunch. For dinner we met up with a local who took us to a great restaurant. After dinner we ended up dancing at a club (I think we were the oldest there).

Ixtapa -- took local bus to Ixtapa and visited the beach there for the day. We were kind of tired from previous night in Alcapulco and a little hung over. :eek:

Manzanillo -- We visited this city a few years ago for 2 weeks so we knew exactly what we wanted to do. We walk out of the port to the main drag and crossed the street and caught the local bus to the town right beside Manzanillo called Santiago (10 min bus ride). This is a great town and beautiful people. They have a wonder full beach that you can grab a lounge chair and relax - make sure you eat and drink at the place the lounge chair belongs to. The main downtown of Manzanillo is very interesting too and there are some great hikes up to the lookout.

• 2 weeks later...

:) Hello everyone were back and planning our next cruise well in Acapulco last May we had a very nice private tour done by the name of a young lady by the name of Rosie she did an excellent job and would highly recommend her to anyone wanting a private tour in Acapulco.

I do have her email address somewhere and will look it up for you all.

Happy sailing we are right behind you this year in March with Princess once again. Nice to be back. Enjoy yourselves.

Last time there we took the ship tour to a resort hotel. This was in a beautiful bay and we loved the time there. This is the port where the Movie 10 was filmed on the bay at the (Las Hadas resort)spelling may be wrong here.

While in manzanillo a number of hotels offer a day package, not too expènsive, and its nice to get off the boat for awhile. I think the best hotel in Manzanillo is the Karmina Palace,,(now the Barcelo Premium Karmina Palace), and the Hotel Las Hadas.

There are a couple of travel agencies that also do tours in and around manzanillo, from scuba diving , paragliding, turtle tours, and ATV tours. I found these sites useful

www.neptunesdiving.com

www.hectours.com

www.karminapalace.com

www.lashadas.com.mx

I can recommend Tlaloc tours as they are the Mexican representative for various USA vacation and tour operators. Great Cruising

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Natasha, when will you be sailing in January? My hubby and I will be on the Spirit leaving San Diego on January 10. This is our first visit to these three ports, so I'm excited.

We are sailing January 24. We be anxious to hear your comments/advice on the cruise.

I have been trying for two weeks now to get a response from Rosie. Does anyone know if she is still there. I used the e-mail in this thread.

Rosie always responded promptly to me. Cut and past the above address instead of trying to retype it. That bottom line could be messing up the address.

Here is some links someone posted from a tour with Rosie. She is wearing a pink shirt and white skirt.

http://community.webshots.com/album/549838079sAtkNp?start=48

That link you posted shows a different tour leader. Here is a link showing Rosie. http://family.webshots.com/photo/2723162510054445721tqSpHq

Both links show Rosie. We toured with Rosie on 11/5/06. It was the best tour that we have booked. She is very friendly, knowledgable and knows the history of Acapulco. Her tour run 5 hours and up, depending on the group and what they want. The email address is correct, she is traveling back and forth between Florida and Acapulco, so that could be part of the delay. She always responded to us within the same day.

In Zihuatenejo, we took a water taxi ($3.00 round trip) to Playa Las Gatas and spent the afternoon at Brisas Del Mar, one of the Palapa Restaurants on the beach. They are all about the same, but walk the beach first, when you come back by, sometimes the prices have dropped. There are rocks out a ways in the water, so wear water socks/shoes. Other than that it was beautiful, just wish our stay had been longer. I also heard great things about Ixtapa, if you prefer the resort type outing.

Have a great time.

• 4 weeks later...
Natasha,

My husband and myself are also going in January. This will be our 3 rd time doing this route. We really enjoy these ports. In Acapulco we do a private tour it runs around 25.00 per person for 4 hours. They will take you to see the things you want to see. Such as Cliff divers,

Number1cruiser

I am having trouble locating a private tour like this in Acapulco. Do you recall a website or contact? The price you mention is about half of NCL excursion.

Thank you, Tom;)

• 1 month later...
Thank you all for the information about Rosie's tour. I emailed her and she got back to me within 1/2 hour. We were able to book with her for 2/05/07.

Thanks again..............Tom;)

I've been e-mailing back and forth with her for a couple of days but I can't seem to pin her down on what the tour will cover. Did she provide any specific info to you? All I've gotten so far is "I'll be happy to show you my home and my city". I'd like to know what sites I'm committing to before I say yes.

Archived