HELP ? about snorkeling

zebramatie1

We will be going on the Nov 16th sailing of the Legend and wanted some info about snorkeling. First off, does the ship still rent snorkel equipment? We are not looking to spend a lot of money and was hoping to take the water taxi for $15 roundtrip and possibly rent the equipment at Caye Caulker. Are there a lot of vendors selling snorkeling packages once you get off the tender? Any info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Most ports have places you can rent your gear. I personally have purchased good gear about 10 years on our 3rd trip to hawaii. I just have an issue with

using used gear... Plus the masks you rent just are not the same with the

glass all the way round on 3 sides vs just glass in the front.

This ship will sell snorkling tour packages, etc. But haven't seen them just

rent snorkling gear.

We got an inexpensive snorkel & mask at a Speedo shop in Miami 2003. Just over $20. I'd like to get fins too, for the next trip.

I rented a sorkle set in St John and the mask was ripped and no good. I had problems at another place where the mask didn't fit. The cheap kiddie sets don't really fit adults either.

It may be worth it to you to have your own.

Find out at a dive shop what size mask and fins you should use....the go to ebay. I got really good equipment for 1/3 $. It's not a problem carting it to the beaches, an inexpensive dive bag will hold 2 sets of gear, underwater camera, towels, and maybe some adult beverages.:D

Take only pictures, leave only bubbles.

When we first started cruising, Carnival rented the snorkel equipment for something like $7 per bag for the whole cruise. You could use it at any port. I don't think they do this anymore; they must have lost money.

If we want to snorkel, we find a taxi, ask him/her where the best local snorkeling is, and get them to take us there. We also ask about renting the gear. They usually will come to pick you up at a certain time, too, if you set it up before hand. Then you are on your own schedule, not a tour's schedule.

We have some snorkeling gear, but I don't like packing it. But, we are not avid snorkelers. If we were, I'd probably pack my own.

Don't forget the underwater camera. And take a pic of yourself first, so you know who's pics were taken by whom.

Have a great time,

Shay

Archived