Tipping Questions

lls-con

I found this on Carnival's web site under tipping:

Bar Waiters, Deck Stewards and Bell Boys - Certain personnel, as noted above, may be tipped as service is rendered. A 15% gratuity is automatically added to beverage purchases which the guest may adjust appropriate to the service received.

I'm taking this to mean that everytime you order a drink at the bar or elsewhere, a 15% gratuity is added to the price of the drink? If that is correct, I will bet that a lot of passengers have no idea that the tip is already included in the drink price, and they tip the bar waiter, etc. again on top of that. It is customary to tip when they bring a drink, so I would feel guilty not to give them a tip, even knowing the 15% tip is already included.

Am I correct on this?

I would feel guilty not to give them a tip, even knowing the 15% tip is already included.

Don't feel quilty............no need to tip beyond the 15%.....which is very reasonable....I did not know they had bell boys on the ship:confused:

I'm taking this to mean that everytime you order a drink at the bar or elsewhere, a 15% gratuity is added to the price of the drink? If that is correct, I will bet that a lot of passengers have no idea that the tip is already included in the drink price, and they tip the bar waiter, etc. again on top of that.
The receipt that you sign when you buy a drink clearly states the price of the drink and the 15% gratuity is listed separately. If you look at your receipts at all, you'll know that the tip is included.

If you look at your receipts at all, you'll know that the tip is included.

...the first few are readable, but then something happens to the machine that prints them, they get blurry and unreadable, so I just happily sign and continue ordering. The accounting people seem to always be able to read them and post them to my Sail and Sign :(

After the first day or two on the ship we have generally gotten to see one or two of the bar waiters pretty consistently. We've given them an extra $5 or so at that point, and have been very well taken care of the rest of the cruise. There have been a few times we've gotten drinks that we didn't order and weren't charged for.

lls-con, the automatic 15% tip is enough to me. I never tip over that amount on a ship. It isn't expected. I guess if I sat at a bar long enough or every night, I'd be inclined to tip the guy a little extra, but I don't frequent any particular bar enough to do that.;)

As far as someone not knowing the tip is added, it's printed right there on the ticket you sign.

My guess is that nearly all pax know about the 15% added to the drinks. No xtra is necessary but if the service impresses you enough, a little cash added is OK. When I find a really good server/tender in a bar that feels comfortable, I tip them $5 or $10 then and maybe more as the cruise progresses. I feel it comes back to me in better service and/or better drinks. [hand made vs. pre-mix]

The tip cheapskates complain about involuntary tipping just like they complain about tipping "before" service on their S&S account.

The 15% can be reduced or zeroed by visiting the pursers desk and we are NOT charged for our S&S acct. until the cruise is over. So tip complainers have no valid complaint, they're just cheapos.

To me tipping the servers is like voting in Chicago. Do it early and often.:D

Dan

Archived