Looking for a 1st time family cruise

dans0202

I am looking to book a cruise with my children age 4 and 6.

I thought a short cruise the first week on January would be a good testing ground to see if my kids like cruising and have narrowed it down to RCCL Sovereign of the Seas and Carnival Elation.

While I would perfer a newer and larger ship I understand that the shorter cruises use the older small ships.

The RCCL cruise is 3 days and the Carnival 5 days.

The RCCL cruise goes to their private island while the Carnival cruise spends more time at sea

I suspect I would get two cabins that are connecting which I believe means I have to get outside cabins.

I would love some opinions on the ships and specifically kids programs on these two ships.

Thanks

Dan

Just a thought, I honestly know little of Carnival, but I do know that some of their "older" ships have recently or are scheduled to be refurbished and updated. The Fascination which sails from Miami on 3 and 4 night cruises, is presently in dry dock for all kinds of upgrades and refurb. You may want to inquire on the Carnival forum as to the ships which are recently refurbished.

Dan, the Elation just went through a drydock in the spring (March or Apr). They added mini golf to the sports deck at that time. I am cruising on it in less than 3 weeks with my 2 kids (4 & 9). I chose the cruise just for the reason you are looking at. It is a 5 day, 3 ports (1 at a private island), and I thought the kids could get a good taste of cruising that way.

If you check the Carnival board you can search for the Camp Carnival Capers (listings for the different age groups activities) to see if your children would have something they like there also.

I have been on both ships, and I would prefer the Elation for my own kids. There seems to be more to do for kids (slide, playground, ice cream machine, pizzeria, glitzy shows, kids movies in cabin, etc.), and the atmosphere is just a little more "festive." I think both children's programs are great, though, and you probably can't go wrong with either. The private island on the soverign is lovely though...

My kids loved her! There is so much to do and there are a lot of activites. If this is your way of seeing if your kids will like cruising, way to go! It took one day for them to be as hooked as DH and me!

In fact, we have asked this question twice since our first cruise...Disney World or a cruise?

Look at my signature for their answer!

Archived