Which ruins are the best?

northerner

I've only been to Chichen Itza but thought the ruins there were fantastic. It's a long ride out and back, but worth it. If you stand in front of the pyramid and clap your hands, the pyramind chirps back at you like a bird. They also have the observatory there. And if you're there at the right time of year, August I think, the shadows in late afternoon/evening look like a serpent crawling down the pyramid to the carved heads at the bottom.

We visited Chichen Itza 2 years ago and they were by far the best that I have been to. The ruins in Belize are pretty good considering they are still unearthing them and restoring them. I believe they were discovered sometime in the late 1970's.

Chichenitza are the very best - I have been visiting ruins in Mexico since I was a teenager. In fact, we just returned from a jul 3 - 10 cruise on the glory and we took our teenagers to visit chichenitza. At first they dreaded the thought of going - they ended up loving it! We went from Progreso in air conditioned buses - it was painless!

I visited Chichen Itza last Oct while staying in Merida for a week. Very impressive. It's a relatively easy tour from Progreso. Two hours ea way.

Very hot but that's to be expected. Pictures came out great.

Yo! Theresa,

The quickest (from Cozumel/Playa Del Carmen) is Tulum(45 min), next is Coba (hr & a half), then Chichen Itza (2 hrs+). ChichenItza's the best. The ship will offer tours to Tulum & Chichen, but not to Coba.

Have fun - Hug a pyramid!

I agree with the other posters, Chichen Itza is the most impressive, but quite a bit further to go, and depending on the time of year you are going extremely hot and humid. Tulum is nice as well and you can jump in the ocean and cool off a little. On a cruise stop I like Tulum better because I don't want to spend so much time getting to the ruins.

Terri

Chichen Itza - 10+

Tulum - 10

If you only get to see one, it should be Chichen Itza (The Capital City of the Mayans). The experience of walking to the top of a pryamid is a once in a life time expereince. The ruins at Tulum are great because it was the only seaside city of the Mayans!

I also agree with everyone else. Chichen Itza is the best in my opinion. I've also been to Tulum and it's great, but Chichen Itza and the pyramid is awesome. I had no problem going to the top, but once there the height (and my shakey knees!) gave me a real thrill going down.

If you go to Chichen Itza and climb the pyramid climb in a "zig zag" it's much easier and less frightening. Some experts say this is the way it was meant to be climbed. This tour is awesome.

I've only been to Chichen Itza but thought the ruins there were fantastic. It's a long ride out and back, but worth it. If you stand in front of the pyramid and clap your hands, the pyramind chirps back at you like a bird. They also have the observatory there. And if you're there at the right time of year, August I think, the shadows in late afternoon/evening look like a serpent crawling down the pyramid to the carved heads at the bottom.

OOHHH..........NO WAY~

That is SOOO COOL!!!

but on the other side of the coin...

I also think that 'any' ruins of 'any' kind hold the same 'mysteries'...

It's all in how you look at it..

I always try to stay someplace long enough to see things from MANY angles...

It's interesting to try to imagine what the people who lived there were like and how their lives were.......and what they thought about different things...etc...etc...etc.....LOL

(no,'really')

dang...........here comes the "wild blue yonder" again............

ROFLMAO!!!

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this post of mine, I've been working Midnights this week and time has eluded me as it does often on this shift.

Thanks to all of you for such great replies. Chichen Itza it is. We will be there in December and hopefully my 4 year old will enjoy the long ride that sounds worth it.

I have no doubt that she can climb to the top, but wonder if she will cause any heart attacks on the bus from having to sit for 2 hours. Can we rent a jeep and just wing it by map? Or are there banditos that make the journey hazardous? We really like to just wing it, but are thinking about the kid's safety.

I can't wait to go, wish we were leaving already. But dreaming is part of the fun so until then I'll be thinking about shadows and serpants. And the veiw from the Mayan top of the world :-)

Yo! again,

I winged it in a rental - BUT - I had all kinds of time, being on a landcruise for 2 weeks. You won't have enough time to arrange a rental, pick it up, do the drive and the tour and return-trip. If something goes wrong, anything, and you miss the ship's departure, they won't wait for you and you're on your own. You'll have to fly to the ships next port- at your own expense - IF you happen to have your passport with you. If you take the ship's tour, they can't leave without you. With a child, do it safe.

Have fun - Hug a pyramid.

"That's an order!"

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to make arangements and the people over at the Cozumel forum say it is impossible to do chichen in a day. I have been told to do Tulum or St. grevasio.? Do they even compare? This may be the only chance I have to go to this part of the world and I really would like to do chichen, but not if it is an all day gig. Do they really offer this excursion on the Holiday?

we will be in Costa maya, and I hear Chocoben is there, is this comparible? I look at a mapquest map of the pennisula and they look like they are reletively the same distance. Anyone with any help I'd appreciate anything at this point. :confused:

Hi Northerner. I don't know which ship you'll be on or which ports you'll be at, but I have the Carnival Excursions folder in front of me from the Elation two weeks ago.

There was no excursion offered to Chichen Itza from Cozumel.

There was one offered from Progreso. Are you going there? It is 7 hours and $77.00 per person.

If you are going to Calica, they also had an excurion to Tulum that we took.

Hope this has been of help to you.

We have yet to go to Chichen Itza but we have been to the ruins at Tulum and at Altun Ha (ruins in Belize). We definately REALLY loved seeing the ruins at Tulum but be warned---you can no longer climb any structures there, they are all roped off and protected from our destructive feet & hands! We could climb the pyramid in Belize to the top and that was quite a sight, but just know that you cannot do this at Tulum. In Belize we went with the ships tour to Altun Ha, but in Calica we rented a car ourselves and went to Tulum on our own---this was really easy/simple to do and cost effective for our family of 5.

I think a 2 hour drive each way would be asking too much of my kids (7, 10, & 13) which is exactly why we did NOT go to Chichen Itza while in Progresso or Cozumel. I certainly hope you do alright with a 4 year old! :rolleyes: (funny thing though, we drive from Nebraska to/from the port in Galveston, so it's not like our kids don't know how to ride in a car nicely, it's just quite a bit different when you're in a crowded bus full of strangers). Good luck in whatever you decide!

Chitzen Itza is not offered from Cozumel because of the time involved. It is an 11 1/2 hour tour, and most likely your ship isn't in port that long. The best port for that is Progresso. The Altun Ha/Rio Wallace is a spectacular tour. You can still climb to the top of a pyramid. There is also another ruin, xunantunich, in Belize that is close to Guatamala that is well worth seeing. Hope you will be able to decide on something you will really enjoy. Good Luck!

Archived