Maho Beach area traffic

texasgirl

Looks like I'm finally going get to plan on going to Maho during our November cruise! Yippee - it's only taken three cruises to work that into the sightseeing during St Martin stops. I'm hearing more about heavy traffic in the Maho/airport area and that taxi drivers don't really like to go out that way. Seems like most of the planes takeoff/land between about noon and 3 p.m. Can I expect to get a taxi out and back relatively easy? What should be the round trip cost?

I can understand why taxi drivers don't want to go there. It's a single lane ( one in each direction), and there are a kazillion hotels there. In season the traffic is horrendeous. We booked an island tour with an independant tour company that gave us time to see both sides of the island, shop in Marigot and Philipsburg, swim at Orient and Sunset beach ( with a plane flying over our heads), and countless stops for photo ops. So it all depends on if you're cruising in or off season, and how many ships are in port that day. Fewer ships, hungrier cab drivers

Seas the day!

We'll be there in early November (Nov 10) so I guess that's mid-season. I also think we're the only ship in port that day but I can't get onto cruise calendar right now to check. Since we get in at 10:00, I guess we'll pretty much head that way and stay until about 2:00. That should still give us at least an hour for shopping. Just makes me wonder if we should abandon that plan and just go horseback riding instead. I really, really want to see those planes though.

It took me three or four cruises to finally get over to Maho Beach recently. It was well worth it. We saw three commercial jets along with several twin prop planes. The commercial planes came pretty much in that time span. The Sunsetter bar is located at the edge of the beach. They post the times of the planes landing that day on a surf board sticking out of the sand next to the road. The Sunsetter bar does have a website.

We actually found a local bus when we were walking several cross streets away from where the cruise ship docks. It was a mini-van with a sign in the windshield that said Maho Bay. It was very inexpensive and will drop you off just after passing the beach + end of the runway down toward the hotels. The driver will also point out where to pick up the van for the ride back. I had read the traffic in this area can be bad but we were fortunate both ways.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

We also did the local bus to Maho last April. $8 for four people one way. They are white mini-vans that have a sign in the front window.

Take into account that these buses make many stops along the way with people getting in and out constantly. With that, it took about 20-30 minutes for each trip. Also, if you open the window to compensate for the lack of A/C, you and the people behind you get blown all over the place. Not too bad if you've got a sense of adventure, but this ain't no greyhound!

Also, if you get on near the ship, or near Maho (on the way back) sit as far back as possible. That way you won't have people climbing all over you all the time. Leave the seats by the door for those going a short distance.

The van does fill up, so if you're not friends with those sitting next to you, you will be soon!;)

Have fun, enjoy yourself, and don't feed the dogs at Sunset Beach Bar, you'll never get rid of them!

We also did the local bus to Maho last April. $8 for four people one way. They are white mini-vans that have a sign in the front window.

Take into account that these buses make many stops along the way with people getting in and out constantly. With that, it took about 20-30 minutes for each trip. Also, if you open the window to compensate for the lack of A/C, you and the people behind you get blown all over the place. Not too bad if you've got a sense of adventure, but this ain't no greyhound!

Also, if you get on near the ship, or near Maho (on the way back) sit as far back as possible. That way you won't have people climbing all over you all the time. Leave the seats by the door for those going a short distance.

The van does fill up, so if you're not friends with those sitting next to you, you will be soon!;)

Have fun, enjoy yourself, and don't feed the dogs at Sunset Beach Bar, you'll never get rid of them!

Some great advice here! My notes follow.

Not all the buses are white. I have some pictures of various buses passing by posted over in my PhotoBucket.

The return bus trip from Maho might take a LOT longer than 30 minutes if in the late afternoon (after 3:00 or so).

Getting on 'near the ship' means getting on in downtown Philipsburg (along Back Street) which is a 20 minute or so walk from the port exit, or a short taxi or water taxi ride to downtown.

The sitting in the back and sitting against the opposite side certainly make sense so people don't have to climb over you.

Have fun, enjoy yourself, enjoy the adventure, and don't feed the dogs anywhere on the island. If you would like to help with the abandonded animal problem on St. Maarten, please consider contributing to ARF (Animals R Friends).

gary

Great info. Gary, could you be a little more specific on a LOT longer coming back please. Should we allow an hour or more if we opt to do the bus back? Should we just splurge and take a taxi back? We'd like to get back about 4 since we leave at 5.

Archived