July/August Western Caribbean

OK - We did it - we booked the Conquest again for July 31, 2005 - but now having second thoughts as a friend of mine told me that July/August can have pretty rough seas - she sailed in July. If you have done Western Caribbean end of July / beginning of August - tell me what you experienced. We have time to change but would still be looking at the end of June of beginning of July.

Considering hurricane season runs from June to November, the chances are that the seas may be rough if sailing during that time frame.

Having said that, we plan all of our cruises during the summer months and have enjoyed all of them very much

We have cruised in October, and March/April and have experienced rough seas at those times. I think the chances are greater during some months but you certainly run the risk anytime of getting some rough seas.

Enjoy your trip

Also, we are cruising western carib this July 31st, so I will let you know how it goes!

We cruised this time frame last year on the Paradise. POC=Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Roatan and Belize. The water was fabulous! Yes at times you could feel the ship move but not any more than normal. We had our four kids with us and without seasick pills! No one got seasick and we were able to tender into Belize and Grand Caymen with NO problems. Myself...I would not hesitate to cruise again during this time frame. And remember the captain knows how to stay clear of rough waters and hurricanes.

Avoiding hurricane season is difficult. Besides storms and rough seas are not confined to hurricane season, just more likely.

Hurricane season starts June 1 and ends November 30.

The old rhyme is

June Too Soon

July Stand By

August Watch Out

Remember September

October All Over

Several years ago I experienced a Pacific hurricane in October named Pauline. I have forgotton how many Mexicans died in that storm. The Ryndam rocked and rolled that night. By the next day, we were in relatively calm water.

There are NO guarantees of smooth seas during any month. The ocean has waves. Sometimes they are big. Sometimes they are small.

I was sailing last July when a hurricane developed. We did have one rough night at sea because the ship had to cross the path to get back to Miami from Belize, but the rest of the time the ship was able to avoid storm.

I was on the conquest last November and we had some very rough seas. I was quite nauseated until I started taking the Bonine. After that, no more problems. Apparently Nov 2003 was just a really rough month. The week prior to our cruise they actually had to change the big broadway show because it was to "bouncy" and dangerous for the dancers to be dancing down the stairways and stuff. Our week several shore excursions were cancelled for safety reasons and we had to anchor on the "wrong side" of Grand Caymen but quick provisions were made by Carnival and everything was great. The week after our cruise, they actually had to close some of the pools because the ship's rocking was splashing the water out. We didn't see anything that rough and boy am I glad. Bottom line, take sea sick pills with you and think positively. The crew is more concerned with safety than anything else and you will still get to have a great time.

Archived