Cell Service on Triumph

Debra Lynn

Does anyone know if there is cell service on Triumph? We have elderly parents at home and need to keep in touch...

Thanks

Deb

Yes - we had cell service 24/7 on the Triumph last year. I think the new rate is $2.49 per minute while out at sea. They turn off the ship's tower when you in port - and the shore rates are much better. Some are like .99 and 1.29. There is alot of information on the Cingular website - under International Service.

Make sure that you check with your carrier so that your international service is enabled and your phone is compatable with the international networks.

$2.49 seems a bit steep, Is this something they add on somehow becuse I know that Tmobile wont charge me that much, how does it work really? When I call from here to Europe its pretty cheap, (well for cells that is) and I know my phone works worldwide cuz I have the world band on their and its all activated, so I wanted to know a little more about how it works I guess, do you just pick up the phone and dial like regular or is there something special you have to do hence the $2.49 per minute charge??

I looked into it with T-mobile, they didnt list the Triumph as one of the ships so I think i will skip in doing a ship cell things, (not that i was planning oto) but the prices are reasonable fromt he ports nothing more that $1.49 a minute, so if we have to we will do that!!

$2.49 seems a bit steep, Is this something they add on somehow becuse I know that Tmobile wont charge me that much, how does it work really? When I call from here to Europe its pretty cheap, (well for cells that is) and I know my phone works worldwide cuz I have the world band on their and its all activated, so I wanted to know a little more about how it works I guess, do you just pick up the phone and dial like regular or is there something special you have to do hence the $2.49 per minute charge??

Nope works just like the regular service here. Some delay when you are out at sea - but good, clear service.

The 2.49 rate was part of the Cingular announcement that came with the Carnival announcement that cell service was to be made available on all Carnival ships buy early 2007. I think 1.49 was the most I paid last February - but that it when it was only on a couple of ships - so now they have announced the "flat rate" of 2.49 - regardless of ship. I'm sure that the higher rate is to try and curb "unnecessary" use by passengers on the ships.

Returned last month from the Triumph. Eastern Carribbean, so cell was regular roaming in PR and S. Thomas, but international in St. Martin & while at sea. Excellent signal until St. Martin & at sea (couldn't hear once connected) until we were near Miami, but text worked well. Just calling to check on FIDs (feathered kids) a couple of times and glad to have it. We have Cingular.

All of the cruise ship cell systems were installed by Cingular. Yes, you do pay international roaming, but still a lot cheaper than ship to shore phones. The onboard cell service is turned OFF before reaching ports. So if you are sitting by the dock at the bay, you will be using the port's cellular system.

Here is the link to all ships with celll service as of 9/18/2006:

http://onlinestorez.cingular.com/travelguide/coverage/cruise_ships_rates.jsp?PIDL=DIR%7CWC%7CWCM&dsessionid=FQQQm0GWJ346fgdrZlXhkXRNw2qvFdB2mlqm4cmjlxf1BHNGHHGJ!-1282084815!1157660688544

You must have a digital cell phone with GSM capability. An analog phone will not work onboard.

Good luck.

LL

Archived